Tuesday, May 8

Happiness Is a Choice, Part III ..........5/8/12

An attitude of gratitude in the midst of all things allows us to make the best of whatever comes our way.
Image: "Riverside: 200 Year Old Brickwork." by Tim Blessed. 
Copyrighted photograph. Used by permission. Photographer's caption. 
     Good evening everyone,

How was your Tuesday?  I believe that everything rises and falls with
our attitude.  What we focus upon makes a big difference with the feelings we'll have for the day.  I leave the following excerpt with you:
"I have much more to be grateful for than I realize. Too often I don't give thought to all the things in my life that I could enjoy and appreciate.  
"Perhaps I don't make time for this meditation because I'm preoccupied with my woes. I allow my mind to be filled with grievances....The more I think of them, the bigger they loom.  Instead of surrendering to God's goodness, I let myself be controlled by the negative thinking into which my thoughts are apt to stray, unless I guide them firmly into brighter paths. 
"A period of meditation, every day, is necessary for spiritual development.  I control these 'thinking times.'  If  I focus on what is good, positive thoughts will increase day-by-day.  They will crowd out self-pity and resentment over what I lack and what is hurting me.  I will be able to use God's help in managing my life with order and serenity."
        'God has given us the faculties by which we are able
          to bear what comes to pass without being crushed or
          depressed. Why then do we sit, moan and groan,
          blind to the Giver, making no acknowledgment
          to Him, but giving ourselves to complaints?'
                                                Epictetus
                        One Day At A Time, 126
How About You? 
1.  What enables you to be positive, when you are stressed?  For me, it's my relationships with my Balcony People and God.
2.  What are thoughts, affirmations or quotations that help you to focus positively?
       Knowing I'm loved by my family and dear ones, helps. I, alone, may not have the power to overcome the challenges I face.  However, relating with a Power Greater Than Myself fortifies me. This includes staying connected to my community of loved ones, my Balcony People.
       My walk with God enables me to do far more than I could ever do by myself.
3.  What are some things that you enjoy and appreciate about your life today?  I'm thankful for my health and abundance.  Abundance is not in how much we have but in how much we enjoy.
Related Posts
Appreciating Life’s Gifts: Staying in the Moment
Balcony People: Our Supportive Network: We Grow Them: They Don’t Happen Over Night
A Spiritual Awakening:  Part I  (Enjoying the Little Gifts Life Provides) 4/10/11
Basking in the Kindness of Others. Not Going it Alone, Part II  
Calmness in the Eye of an Emotional Storm: Not Allowing Others to Affect Our Serenity

6 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

One thing that helps my stay positive in times of stress is perspective...the idea that my problems pale in comparison to the problems of other people in the world. There is always someone who has it worse that we do, and there is always something for us to be thankful for!

Vanessa Higgins said...

When I am REALLY feeling down, I sing. Specifically, a song that reminds me so much of your post - Up to the moutnain by Patti Griffin. It was written about Martin Luhtor's final speech before he died. It's about knowing that the fight for peace may not end in this lifetime but it will carry on with all those who are left behind. I get emotional just thinking about it...

aileen said...

I agree w/Op. Ext.

My 3 gratitudes for Weds:

1. the serendipitous experience of having the fragence of roses flood my olfactory senses while taking a walk - a smile from the inside of my heart broke out on my face.

2. the providence of a friend who appeared righ at the moment of collapse from some really downer news that will defineitly have a major negative economic impact on my already precarious life. i fell into welcoming arms and cried as i spoke my pain right on the public street.

3. that i managed not go straight to bed, but pressed on w/the tasks of the day and later rec'd a loving check in call from that friend. I know the Creator had a hand in this.

Here's to a good today and better tomorrow.

Pablo said...

Keith,

Thanks for your point of view. It does help to appreciate what we have rather than complain about what we don't. Happiness can be so relative.

I appreciate your comments!

Pablo said...

Vanessa,

Singing! What a great answer. It does help filling our minds with inspiring words, when discouraged, doesn't it?

Music does wonders for lifting the spirit.

Good seeing you here.

Pablo said...

Aileen

I love your gratitudes. Thank you for sharing them. Remember, you aren't alone. I'm sorry to hear the disturbing news about your rent. :(

You must have felt great, getting support from a friend, when overwhelmed by bad news.

What a terrific friend you have! Wow. How nice that this person followed up his or her visit by calling you later. At least this person is one treasure you can cherish.

Thanks for writing what's going on with you. I'm impressed with your diligence and the discipline you exercised, in spite of being slugged in the gut with distasteful news.

I know many who drop by this inn support you with their concern and prayers---they've gotten to know you through the gratitudes you've posted here.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels