Monday, May 21

Serenity: Balanced Living .............................5/21/12

Image: "Countryside: After the Rain." by Tim Blessed.
 Copyrighted photo. All rights reserved. Used by permission. 
      How was your day?

Monday is my day off. I needed it. Tomorrow I have
two business appointments, these are not sessions with clients. I'll see how they go.  I didn't sleep well last night. That is going to happen. After posting this, I'll hit the hay.
My Gratitudes for Monday:
1.  I took it easy today. A need for ease and rest were met today.
2.  I was patient with myself. I dropped the Pablo motor down to 1,000 rpms. That's always a good thing.
3.  I followed through on other work I do, besides seeing clients. I'm like being sensitive to the needs of others, being consistent and reliable.
4.  I enjoy the feedback I get from the guests of this inn. Thank you for your comments. They allow me to know if you are being tended to when you drop by.
5. I look forward to this inn having a guest blogger. That will be fun.  The greatest progress for the largest number occurs when we work as a team.
6. Starting this week, I'll have someone assisting me with the administrative work involved in maintaining this inn. This will free me up to do other tasks needing my attention.  I appreciate teamwork and support.
7. I wrote today. It always sharpens my mind when I do.  In the mix were several letters. Staying in touch is always good.
Balanced Living
A Source for Serenity
        I rested today, but I need more. I value balance in my life.  Lately, I'd say my life has been running at 9,000 rpms.  Not a good place to be. I'm open to your suggestions.

       The innkeeper is facing an intense month this June, not of my choosing.  With my history and my experience with God's working in my life, I know things will work out.

      The good thing about life is that we can break it down into manageable bits. First off, we don't have to worry about tomorrow. Tomorrow never comes. When it does, it is today.

       It's usually best taking life one day at a time.  If the demands of life are more than I can manage, I make them bite-sized by taking life fifteen minutes at a time.
"Peace comes not from the absence of conflict but by our ability to cope with it."
       Helping others is rewarding, but I also must take care of my needs.  If I'm over-extended, I'm of little use to others.  One way I'm gentle towards myself is by staying true to my priorities.

      The answer is simple, in times of stress: simplify: reduce priorities to the minimum. And, it would be great if I had your prayers. Yes, yours.  Deal?

       In the meantime, I'm gearing up for a special day.  Saturday, I'm giving a talk before a crowd, at a community event. I'm also getting ready to celebrate a special day with family and friends.  More about that, tomorrow, perhaps.
How About You? 
1. How would you describe the pace of your life? How many rpms (revolutions per minute) are you running at?
      a. 9,000?   Life is unmanageable, crazy and/or stressful.  (This is where my life has been due to stressful pressures.)
      b. 3,000?   Life is running pretty smooth, I can't complain.
      c. 1,000?   I'm decompressing, I'm in the shop, getting restored.
        So, which answer is yours, and how do you feel about it?
2. Are there any modifications you need to make? If yes, please share. The rest of us would benefit from your ideas.

      Thank you, for dropping by and keeping the innkeeper company.

4 comments:

Syd said...

I think that I am in the middle of the rpm's. I stay busy with those things that I enjoy. I don't take on those things that don't interest me and can definitely say "no thanks" when asked to do something. And I do like having days when I have no appointments and no where to be. Balance is not about walking the tightrope anymore.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I think I am in between A and B on the RPM chart. Not as hectic as A but not as calm as B. Certain aspects of my life are relatively slow and calm while others are fairly fast-paced.

Pablo said...

Syd,

Boundaries sure make a difference, don't they?

There's more serenity, too, when we forsake the drama of an intensely scheduled life.

Thanks for your example. It's rare. I can see where Al-Anon has helped you to determine your priorities and know your limits. It has helped me, too.

Pablo said...

Keith,

I think your situation is the plight of many. It's all about fine tuning the demands of life.

I find doing an inventory of my priorities helps, something I did recently. As a result, I'm making changes, all for the better, they will enhance my serenity.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels