Friday, July 15

My Character Determines My Destiny 7/15/11

I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence
our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines
our destiny.   (See below)
    Good early morning everyone,

Welcome to our new visitor from Ireland! It also nice to see our new visitors from Guernsey and Jersey Islands. Thanks for dropping by. 

My gratitudes for Thursday: 

1. This evening, I rested. Taking care of ourselves, is a good thing. If we're not careful, we can easily push our lives harder than what is best for our sanity or serenity.  It's difficult being in touch with our feelings if we are caught up with busyness----there are too many distractions competing for our attention and our feelings lose out.

2.  I'm thankful for consistent time for self-reflection.  Regularly taking inventory of our lives helps us notice areas needing attention.  Doing so, graciously---not in a critical manner----helps develop our awareness of unwanted behavior. There are thoughts renting territory in the property of our mind that have no productive value: anxiety, bitterness, depression, fear, resentment and self-loathing, for example.  This is where having mentors and Balcony People play an important role.

     These individuals have the emotional and psychological distance that help us see healthy alternatives to thinking or behavior that can weigh us down. Balcony People also have our back. They are not critics, holding us accountable. Instead, they are the cheerleaders who root for us, providing support when we are most vulnerable. They come alongside and assist us when we falter. It's good when we remember we weren't meant to live in isolation nor will we get our healing in the desert of self-pity and despair.

Caution: God at Work!

   The title just above this sentence is the story of my life. I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny.

   It's for this reason I've learned it's best to have our mind filled with whatever is good, lovely or compassionate:
 8Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.             Philippians 4:8
        Having our heart conform to God's character, is a terrific desire.  I don't know an austere, judgmental, unloving God. The God I know is gentle, gracious, patient, kind, empathic and loves me unconditionally, who respects who I am.  I also know that conforming to God's character is impossible to achieve by our efforts, alone. Positive thinking won't cut it. Our growth and healing is only possible when  we rely upon His strength and experience His forgiveness.  It's best when we submit the areas where we need to grow, characterologically, to Him.  That's our part, leaving the results in His hands.  Thank God for that!  No one would never make it if he relied upon his efforts.

      A  key point is remembering that God chooses which areas He want to work on in our lives. He's not our spiritual bell boy, where we tell Him what to do on our behalf.  The following quote, which I've posted before in this inn, is worth reading again:
Remind me each day that the race does not always go to the swift. There's more to life than increasing its speed. Let me  look upward into the towering oak and know that it grew great and strong because it grew slowly and well.       Orin Crane
3. I'm grateful that I'm learning the value of  yielding my life to God, being patient while He's working on me, knowing that He's making me into a beautiful oak tree.

     Here's to a fantastic Friday, I look forward to hearing your gratitudes,

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Paul- that is a great quote.

It is inevitable that growth is slow process, one that can really be seen best in hindsight. Even still, I think it is my nature to want to see the growth happening, or to spur it along.

Another great share, Paul. Good reminders!

Pablo said...

Kelly,

It's always good seeing you here. I'm glad you like that quote from Philippians. :-P

I appreciate your honesty. One source of self-love is being patient with ourselves. As Lily Thompson said, "the problem with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat." :->

I like the following quote about patience:

"We live in a society of instant gratification: instant coffee, instant breakfast, instant money from our ATM machines---ti's everywhere we look! No wonder so many of us ...look for the instant answer to all the problems that come from living with difficult others.

Growth is a process. It takes time to regain, reclaim, and recoup all that was lost while we tried on our own to cope with [the pains of our past].

We all have dark times in our lives, bu the journey to better times is often what makes us happier, stronger people. When we stop expecting instant relief, we may come to believe that were we are today is exactly where God would have us to be.

Life is a 'One Day at a Time' program No matter what is going on around me, today I know that I am moving forward. I will trust the process of growth. I'll let time take time.

If I am under pressure and setting myself deadlines, I will stop for a few minutes and think of just this one day and what I can do with it."

You'll have mail from me, soon. I have an idea...

Kelly said...

Yes, I know all about patience. I've heard that quote before...from Courage to Change, isn't it?

I'll be looking forward to your idea...

Pablo said...

Okay, I'll send you an e-mail, forthwith.

Anne said...

Im grateful I went to the correct place for support. Glad yoy were there.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels