Sunday, July 31

Grace is Sweeter Than Bitterness: Experiencing Spiritual Growth

The happiest people don't have the best of everything...they just make the best of everything.(Photographer's caption.)

      I'm off to play my guitar and sing for Armida. I just received word from her son, Paul. She has from hours to 2-3 days remaining, according to the hospice staff. He asked if I could come and sing. Of course, I will. Two of my sons are joining me. I'd appreciate your prayers for Armida, her family and for me, as I try making a difficult time more serene. For more about my dear friend and her current situation, please click here.

      I'd be happy receiving your support. I'll be spending time with the family, now, and over the next few days. It would great having you as part of the Attitude of Gratitude team. I'm thankful I don't operate alone, relying only on my resources. That would be too dangerous. There's more balance in my life benefiting from the collective perspective of my supportive community. I also have more serenity now that I don't make decisions alone. My Balcony People provide the balance needed in life.

***************************************************

      Life is good. I had a terrific time with all three sons, my ex and my mother-in-love, Lena, yesterday. You know, friends and jobs may come and go, but our family is forever. I was happy that Saturday we celebrated an important event in Josiah's life. No, not his birthday, that's in October.

      Yesterday, I mentioned concerns I had. I feel good I did so graciously. There was no scowling, use of guilt or blame. Something of mine was damaged. What was more important was that the ones who caused the damage were affirmingly spoken to. Years ago, that wouldn't have been the case. Thank God for growth. I let those involved know that they were more important than my loss due to carelessness.

      Having said that, I asked them to make amends. Their response was interesting: stunned. What was important was that they knew our relationship was stronger than the issue.

     There's hope for the past. New legacies we can create. Yesterday was an example. Where once there was shame, guilt and denial (my experience, growing up) is being replaced by love, acceptance and responsibility (how I handled yesterday incident).

     That's one thing I've learned from the book Safe People.
Safe people correct in order to forgive, the relationship is more important than the issue.  Unsafe people correct and often condemn---they care more about the issue than the relationship.
      I'm glad knowing God's love in my life. Not only from Him, but through the graciousness of others. As a result of experiencing it in my life, I was able to love others yesterday, who had caused harm.  I don't want to give you the wrong impression, I'm not always this way. However, yesterday I was; that's progress.

      Please check in and let me know your thoughts.  I'd love hearing your gratitudes. Have a serene, grateful and fulfilling week, is my prayer for you,

 
Image: "Cumbria: View to Derwent Water and Skiddaw"  by Tim Blessed © all rights reserved, used by permission.




No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels