Wednesday, May 2

The Tyranny of the Urgent Did Not Override the Important and, I Was With A Pouty Person Tonight ..5/2/12

Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but
when many people walk on it,the road comes into existence.
       Hello everyone,

I hope Thursday turns out well for
you. I'm posting over here, on the Left Coast. Most of you have tucked yourselves into bed because you are tuckered out. I'm writing to wrap up the good and positive day that Wednesday was. 
My Gratitudes for Wednesday
1. Today was amazing. I made priorities first thing in the morning, and stuck with them. I did not yield to the tyranny of the urgent. 
     You know, those items that are urgent, like phone calls, but aren't important.  I kept to the important tasks that can be steamrolled by the urgent demands of the day.  If I didn't get everything done, I at least did the most important tasks, first.  Tomorrow what was number five on my list will be number one. Pretty simple. 
2. I was happy following my priorities. As I worked, I did an inventory, recording by the minute, what I accomplished. It was a great feeling, having my day in order. Or course. I responded to the monkey wrenches that appeared, as the day progressed.  Today, I was thankful for structure, knowing what to do, at any given moment. 
3.  I negotiated with several who work for me. There were arrangements needed so that business needs would be taken care of.
4.  I'm thankful for earplugs. Today, I needed them. Usually, I don't get distracted. While writing, for a couple of projects, I needed to focus.
     I may not be able to control my environment, but I can control how I allow it to affect me. I have options. Sometimes they're quite simple. The earplugs made my afternoon pleasant and fulfilling, not frustrating.
A Humorous Experience
        This evening I had a humorous experience. Years ago, what happened would have concerned me. I'm thankful I've lightened up. A woman I know through community service work I do, had her knickers in a twist.
        I stood up to her three months ago. This lady is a business owner. She wants things to go her way. That didn't happen. Sore, she still was.
        She did not show courtesy during the time we were together.  She glared and pouted. Oh my.  Unfortunately for her, I did not shake in my boots. I don't wear boots, but you know what I mean.
        I'm thankful for the serenity I enjoy because I didn't make assumptions about her behavior. I didn't take her actions personally, nor did I let the way she related to me affect the joy I have.
        She is responsible for her feelings. They are her property. My feelings are mine.
So, How About You?
1. What helps you to stay on track, with the demands you face?
2. How have you lightened up?  In what way do you see that you have more equanimity now, than you did a few years ago?
        Thank you for dropping by. I enjoy your company. Without you, this place would be awfully lonely. :)

6 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Pouty people...this reminds me of a funny story my undergraduate sociology professor told me one time. She said that in high school she and her friends had a friend named Patricia. Patricia was constantly pouting about something..always. So they named her "Pity Party Patti" :-)

Vanessa Higgins said...

I used to place my worth on making others happy (ok, I am still working on this). When they would be upset or frustrated with life, I tried to lift them up, often getting dragged down with them in the process. Now, I just check-out and leave or I sit and smile and imagine all their negative energy flowing out of them and bouncing off of my positive protective layer. It feels good.

Pablo said...

Keith,

I'm glad to see you back. Now, if she had learned to look at the alternatives to her challenges, she'd be able to do something.

Sometimes I may need to ask God for the courage to ask for help rather than to wallow in fear and pity. I find it helps asking for the courage to change the things I can and serenity to accept the things I can't.

I hope Patricia is doing better than she was in high school. Godspeed to her.

Keith, you encourage me with your consistent visits to this inn. Thank you!

Pablo said...

Vanessa,

One thing I really like about you is your honesty. Thank you, for your authenticity. I like your presence, when you drop by.

I've found that Al-Anon Family Groups is a terrific organization to deal with our tendency to externally referent. This is NOT AA, or Alchoholics Anonymous. This is an organization for friends and family members of alcoholics and those who suffer because of the difficult behavior of others, be it a boss, neighbor or loved one.

There are meetings available near where you live. You can find out more about this organization by looking them up on the internet.

There are posts I've written about the antidote, "internally referenting." They can be found in the secret index in the blue section found on the bottom of this blog.

You might also want to check out the post: "Letting Go" in the right sidebar.

I love the way you handle emotional vampires. I think you are like me. I have a dominant right hemisphere and consider concepts visually.

Thank you for sharing, it means much to me!

aileen said...

Hello, Pablo,

Today I am thankful for following through on making contact with a potential business associate I met at an event last night. I was inspired to move forward in developing that relationship without the angst that in the past usually accompanies this kind of thing for me. This is the fruit of the work I've been doing on ovecoming old ways of thinking/being/doing. I reflect on the fact that I was comfortable during the event, had no difficulty talking w/people I'd never met and delighted to see a few folk I'd not seen in 5 or more years who were genuinely as delighted to see and connect with me again. That experience was very affirming in terms of my internal and personal growth.

The second gratitude for today is the decision I struggled with for about an hour on attending another event. I decided to find out a bit more about the event online; it was one that was a good networking opportunity and I think I would have been perhaps a bit less comfortable than last night. I choose to not attend for a few reasons, one being that I was thoroughly enjoying my solitude. Perhaps I will be in a different space w/n myself next year when this event comes around.

Lastly, I am grateful for the deeper awareness of acknowledging, appreciating, and accepting of the sadness and pain in my heart around the reality of the dynamics in my small family of origin, while realizing that others in my life find value in what they feel I bring into their lives.

Life is such a paradox!

Pablo said...

Aileen,

It looks like your Wednesday evening was terrific. It appears that you placed principles above your personality and in doing so, you had a productive and enjoyable time.

I hear in your post that you're grieving regarding your family. I like the thought that our friends are the family we choose.

Thank you for consistently sharing three gratitudes each time you drop by. Getting to know you has been great!

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels