Sunday, May 6

Responding, Not Reacting, To An Insult

Happiness is in the heart, not in the circumstances.
My Gratitudes for Saturday (they are a bit late):
Reserving Judgment: Because My Perspective Is Limited
1.  I saw someone this morning, while with a group of friends.
       Avoiding her was my first reaction. Instead, it ended up that
I embraced her three times, during a conversation we had as we got ready to leave the gathering. I listened to her version about something that troubled me. I'll just say that I like dependability, reliability and consistency when connecting with others.

      I'm so glad I can be so wrong.  And I was.  I wasn't angry towards this woman. I was perplexed about inconsistencies that transpired between us.

      After chatting with her, I was glad I did not jump to conclusions.  My perspective is limited.  We see things as we are, not as they are.  The upshot is that I affirmed the direction she's taking, as she addresses conflicts she faces. Oh, before I forget, this is not a woman I was dating. This is a friend.

      I'm thankful for the gifts received when we are tolerant, patient, maintaining good will towards those who disappoint or confuse us.

2. I enjoy the fellowship we share here. I learn from each of you who post. Really.

3, I love life, celebrating its beauty.  It doesn't get better than that.  Today, I met with friends, had lunch with others, studied, rode my bike for an hour and went to a movie with a friend. I'm lucky guy!
Looking Forward to Fun
4. A friend is coming over tomorrow. We'll ride our bicycles for an hour and a half.  The weather has been lovely. I expect more of it tomorrow, and discharging my frustrations by biking.
Lunchtime Drama 
      Someone new joined my friends and I for lunch today.  During the time, she disparaged a nearby city. One of the persons in our group lives there. Who needs TV?  I awaited everyone's reaction to this woman's judgments. How a person responds reveals plenty about them, and I was curious.

     After the conversation had gone on at length, I offered my two cents. I mentioned I was uncomfortable.  I told her I could not connect with the judgments she expressed.  I asked if the newcomer wanted to share the needs beneath her judgments. I even tried some empathetic guesses.  The negativity ended.

    I'm thankful for not reacting. I spoke my truth. I was kind when I made my request. Most of all, I appreciate the harmony that was restored to what was a tense situation. I'm glad that the knives used for the meal weren't used in any other way.

    Some of  you know that I believe that all negative feelings are a result of having an unmet need. For more about this, please click here.  Approaching the woman's critical comments from that point of view was acceptable to all at our lunch table.
How About You? 
1. In what way do you know that your perspective is limited? 
2. I'm getting a lot from you who drop by and fellowship here. What are you receiving, when you drop by the Attitude of Gratitude Inn? I'm curious. 
3. I look forward to tomorrow's bicycle ride, and spending time with clients in the evening. For the upcoming week, I look forward to steps I'm taking to brighten my future, emotionally, professionally and in my relationships.  What do you look forward to, for tomorrow and the upcoming week? I'd love hearing your responses. 
      I'll write about gratitude tomorrow. I have something in mind. I'm just too bushed right now. I need sleep. Thanks for dropping by.

4 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

You mention something that I happen to agree with completely - that all negative feelings spring from an unmet need of some sort. That's why I believe in the value of introspection...the avenue through which we can identify those unment needs.

Pablo said...

Good morning Keith,

You're right. It's important to see what is alive within us, when we are upset or even when we are happy.

Others are more inclined to meet our needs than respond to our feelings. When we say to others that we are angry, upset, fearful, or any other feeling, because of them, many back away, expecting to be attacked.

If I mention my need---open communication, respect or sensitivity, for example, they are more inclined to hear me and meet that need.

You probably have noticed, almost every time, with every gratitude I post, I share the need that my gratitude fulfills.

Wishing you a special Sunday.

Anonymous said...

Good morning.
I am grateful for the peace and surrenity I find in the morning by doing yoga, prayer and meditation and turning my day over to God as I plan for the day.
I have been blkessed with renewed energy by riding bikes with the Innkeeper once a week.
I am starting a new opportunity for using my talents today. Im keeping a wide berth until I decide if this is going to be a good opportunity for me.
This time I am keeping the focus on myself.
Wishing you a great and grateful day as you put it also.
Muse

Pablo said...

Muse,

Good morning! It must feel good to set aside time for yourself.

I think you've come up with a new word. :) It sounds like a blessing you get by riding bikes. Am I right?

When we take a new job, it's usually a good idea to put IT on probation.

Thanks for dropping by, reading and posting your gratitudes.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels