Thursday, May 10

I'm Not Who I Used to Be ............... 5/10/12

If a fellow isn't thankful for what he's got, he isn't likely to
 be thankful for what he's going to get.   ~Frank A. Clark
 

Image: "Wetlands: Golden Pond" by Tim Blessed. All rights reserved.
Copyrighted material. Used by permission. 
     I was stunned, earlier today.  I'm not the person I thought I was.  As a young man, I was an
ENTJ, the Field Marshall. That was true about me, back then, when I worked in management for a major corporation.  Then I became an INTJ---the Mastermind---after I married, raised a family, grew in my profession and worked on my personal vulnerabilities.  (Please see footnote.)

      These assessments are according to the Myers Briggs Personality Inventory Test.  Over 30 million people have taken it. For the first time in 10 years, I took the test today.

       I discovered I'm now an INFJ.  Which is shocking to me.  I know all about NFs, Idealists. I'm glad I done recovery work before I became an NF, because, usually, they---we---are pretty sensitive.

       For Idealists, feelings, theirs, and that of others, are most important, more than thinking.  My personality type is known as the Counselor. So, it doesn't surprise me that that is what I am now.

       I'm more cooperative than I used to be.  So, according to the Meyers-Briggs test I'm an Idealist (NF), no longer a Rational (NT).  Does that make me irrational??

       I have changed. My personal growth has made me more compassionate, gentler towards myself and others and less dogmatic. I'm grateful for these improvements. So are the people who know me. :)
***************************************

      Today, for twenty miles I rode my bike. I discovered new places to explore, all along the shore of the San Francisco Bay.  After five miles, I was tired, but persevered. This evening, I feel the effects of today's ride on my forearms.  I'll sleep well, after posting this.
My Gratitudes for Wednesday:
1. I spent time by myself. In the morning, I studied and had time to reflect. In the afternoon I was on my bike for an hour and forty minutes. I'm thankful for the self-acceptance that allows me to luxuriate in time alone. 
2. I had a terrific conversation with a friend tonight.  I enjoyed the companionship and respect we had for each other. 
3. I hung out with a bunch of friends this evening. I love being a part of a loving community of friends.
Friends are the family that we choose. 
4. I'm setting goals. I like how they motivate me. I'm thankful for the purpose they offer and how goals increases my effectiveness. As I've mentioned before, the ancient Greeks had a saying:

"If we aim at nothing, that's exactly what we get."
.
Challenging My Body 
      I've ridden for a total of 60 miles in the last three days, something I haven't done before.  I've been sharing with the guests to this inn my experiences on my bike. What you don't know is that I hadn't been on one in more than 30 years.

      My cycling workouts are becoming more rigorous.  I enjoy the challenge and thrill of pushing my body. I'm grateful for exercise and the balance I'm adding to my life---it can be very easy to stay within my head, not a good thing to do.
   
      I'm in touch with my body, when working out. A part of me that's easy to neglect due to the demands of work, family and life.  Even better, getting out on the road with my bicycle has me connecting with nature.

     I live in a beautiful part of the world. Sand and surf, plenty of trees, fantastic, non-humid weather, gentle bay breezes, makes my time on two wheels a delight not only for my body, but for my soul and eyes. I won't comment on the many women I pass by, while getting in a ride.  :->
6. I see that my personal recovery from co-dependency has improved my personality. It is easy, if we are not careful, to be addicted to unhealthy relationships and lose our centeredness---if a co-worker is angry, we get triggered. If someone we care about is depressed, we are affected.

      I'm thankful learning that I want to care about, but not for, others. Balance is key for my equanimity and emotional safety. Relationships are more important to me than facts or results.

     However, I balance connecting with others with a mindful adherence to my values. I appreciate the ongoing growth of who I am, that's a consistently evolving part of my life. 
How About You?
1. How are you different from who you were ten years ago?
2. What are some goals you've recently set for yourself?
   As always, I enjoy hearing from you.
Footnote
For more about personality types, as presented by the Myers-Briggs test, please click here
If you'd like to take the test, click here. Let me know what you found out about yourself. 

6 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

A recent goal that I have set for myself is to work on overcoming my fear of heights. It is something that I want to tackle head on so next month, when I'm in Florida, I plan on parasailing! Hopefully that will be a first step in tackling it. Great post as always my friend Pablo.

Vanessa Higgins said...

Ten years ago.I don't know how much I have changed. Perhaps I care less how others perceive me and I am more open about my faults and worries as they make me more human.

My goals are to embrace myself. My beauty, my brains, my self-care. I have always cared so much for others and put myself last, and I lost myself. Trying to find myself again.

Pablo said...

Wow!

Keith, that's a bold answer to your goal! How do you feel about taking on that fear?

Will you be with friends, when in Florida?

Thanks for dropping by. Kudos to you and your courage.

Pablo said...

Thank you, Vanessa, for posting!

I admire your honesty. Do you feel satisfied, now that you are taking care of your needs?

Or does it feel awkward?

I'm in agreement with you. We are the only person who can make our welfare our number one priority.

You have my support,
The Innkeeper

aileen said...

Hello, Pablo,

Recently set goals to complete an online traing course to become more employable and be employed in that areana by my October b/d, at year's end the lastest. Not a training that makes my heart sing, however, being able to stay inside with a bit more financial ease will do.

Ten years ago I lived in depression; today a bit less so.

3 gratitudes for Thurs. 5.10.12:

1. call from library for material that had arrived which got me out of my apt for a daily walk ( a habit I am trying to develope) and into a day of perfect weather to witness the amazing diversity of plant life along the way and an animal planet moment wherein I stood very still to watch a family of geese glide across the murky pond water to the edge, then emerge and cross the road, the male hanging back while keeping a steady eye on me as his family moved from pavement to grass.

2. that my car in need of a serious repair that is currently out of my non-budget is still running as I drive less.

3. that i enjoyed a nearly pain free body and ease of mobility today, which is not a constant.

Today I came across this passage in Isaiah 46:4 "Even to your old age and gray hairs I am He, I am He who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you." Trying to know this is true as things are looking pretty dark right thru now and I'm falling back into remembering that many, many others live with bombs raining down on them and lack of every essential thing.

I tried to take that personality test. the two choices did not work for me for the great bulk of questions so I passed on that exercise.

Good day, all.

Pablo said...

Aileen,

You have an October birthday?? Two of my sons were born that month, the 13th and 22nd.

I appreciate your honesty. I'm happy hearing that you're seeing progress with your feelings! :)

I like that you share three gratitudes each time you drop by. I'm thankful for the reliability you demonstrate.

Yes,being aware that many have it worse than us can help us maintain an attitude of gratitude, even when sorely tried.

You have my prayers,

The Innkeeper

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels