Monday, May 14

The Value of Forgiveness and Living So As To Be Missed ..............................5/14/12

The necklace of lights on the Bay Bridge. I saw this from a different
 angle while riding my bike tonight. The City lies beyond its span.
      Good evening,

The start of a new week.  How did it go for you? I'm tired. A late evening ride tonight has done me in, physically. It sure is good building up
a sweat.

      It was wonderful and taxing at the same time.  Hearing the waves lapping against the shore as I ride calms me.  I roll along the coast of the island upon which I live.
This is a closeup shot. Around him were seven
others, harnessing the wind and riding the waves.
      The view of wind surfers being pulled by kites and watching waterfowl bobbing in the bay waters lulls me into a place of serenity.  I feel as if  I floating along on my bicycle as I pedal onward. My goal is to ride at least an hour and a half, five times a week.

      Tonight, I saw the necklace of lights that adorn the Bay Bridge at night. Farther off, behind the span was the lit up city of San Francisco.

       Yesterday, I had a tumble while riding.  I had gloves on. I didn't split a finger open this time when I hit the pavement. A sticky gash on my right leg was the only outcome. Other than the leg sticking to my pajamas at night, I'm one happy biker.

***********************************************
My Gratitudes for Monday:
1. I enjoyed my time with clients yesterday.  I did it again. As I made a point with a story in one session, tears formed. Good tears. I spoke about the power of forgiveness, a lesson I learned as a young man. It frees us from the corrosive toxicity of bitterness:
"Bitterness is a poison pill we swallow, hoping it will kill the person who has hurt us."
I mentioned with the client that we forgive others not for their sake, but for ours.
"Forgiveness is not forgetting. It is letting go of the hurt."
2. My oldest son and I have been corresponding. He's busy. I'm busy.  His name is the same as mine. I'm the fifth, him, well, you know the number.
      The two of us Pablos have a loving, open relationship. I so appreciate the friendship we share and our ability to freely communicate, respectfully, and with depth. We're planning on spending time together soon, along with my two other sons.
3.  I received a phone call from a person I mentor. What this person said makes my efforts worthwhile.  I'm thrilled that this person is much happier as a result of our time together.
      He is finding freedom from anxiety in his interactions. That wasn't the case before. The ease in his life is increasing. Moving from despair and anger to grace, and better, happier relationships with others has him overjoyed.
Live
     It is satisfying serving others. One of my dictums is to live a life that would be missed if I were gone. I'm thankful that, by God's grace, I'm doing that.

     I'm too tired to insert a poem that motivates me. I'll put it in this inn tomorrow, after I've had some sleep.  It's entitled "People Liked Him."  I believe you'll enjoy it. It's guided my life. Drop by again, after 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time.  You'll be glad you did.
How About You? 
1. What has been your experience with forgiveness?
2. Do you do service? Do you help your local community? If so, what do you do?
3. In what way are living, so as to be missed, if you weren't around?

     I wish you a fantastic Tuesday. May God bless you as you go throughout the day.

4 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

My experience with forgiveness is that it's essential for the healing of one's soul. There is a great quote that I read once that says (and I'm paraphrasing here) "Forgiving someone is like setting a prisoner free and realizing that the prisoner was you". I think that's the essence of what forgiveness truly is.

aileen said...

Forgiveness is also a very deep process where the hurt/betrayal/whatever has seeped "below the skin" and this is where I find myself..in the process of releasing the hurt and beginninbg to look at forgiving myself for things I have no controll over, like the current financial darknesss and continuing joblessness. My 3 gratitudes: woke up to no back pain and enjoying moving more freely and easily today; small paycheck enough to keep phone on and car legal and with a 2 gals of gas; for prayer to keep me from the train tracks that are beginning to look rather inviting now as I press on w/training for a job to keep me inside if I can manage til course ends with employemnt m any months from now. Good day, all.

Pablo said...

Keith,

I agree with you. Bitterness or resentment are like handcuffs. They attach us to the person who has hurt us.

Forgiveness is the bolt cutters that frees us from these restraints. We forgive for our sake, not the sake of the person who harmed us.

Pablo said...

Aileen,

Thank you for your honesty. I am concerned about your comments about the train tracks. Please talk with someone who can help you with your despair.

Please continue to check in. You are not alone. Talking with others about your pain helps. You are doing that with your posts here.

Please visit with your Balcony People. Let them know what's going on, emotionally, within you.

You have my prayers.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels