Monday, May 7

Balanced by Boundaries

Alameda Island. If you use a little imagination, it looks like a whale moving from left to right.
   Good evening,

How was your weekend? Mine was
glorious.  I rode my bike 25 miles yesterday, sixteen of them with a female friend. The paths I use to ride along the shores of this island town were crowded.  Many went to the beach, being that it was a warm day---in the high seventies. 

      I threaded my way among the pedestrians, watching out for little kids.  It felt good wearing a short-sleeved shirt with no hat, gloves, windbreaker or vest. At one point, just west of Crab Cove six of us cyclists jammed up at a gate, as we tried to ride along the shoreline.

  Right here:
The red X is where the gate was and the blue line is
 the course we rode after passing four other cyclists. 
     When I had the opportunity, I blew by the other riders.  I'm moving faster, now, that I've been riding regularly since January. And I'm a little competitive, I'm told. :)

      After my ride, I met with clients. It required putting out energy of another kind. By the end of the day, I was exhausted, but happy. 
Monday Evening Gratitudes: 
1. I rested. 
2. I forgave myself for not turning in library material on time. Totally forgot. Unfortunately, it cost me five bucks. Ouch. A could have been prevented ouch. However, I also want to remember that I'm human. 
3. I bought a book that I once had. I'm thrilled to have it again. It's about the Myers-Briggs test. I'm happy to re-connect with an old friend that I will use a lot. 
Time for Me
       I rode my bike for 16 miles today, at a fast pace.  I was happy riding along the coast of Alameda Island.  I ventured into new places---it's great expanding the possible routes I can take. 
      Usually I ride on bike paths, most of them are asphalt, along the marinas, it's boardwalk. Today, I rode on the packed sand of Crown Beach shoreline. My ride started at 7:30 p.m. by the time I reached the beach, eight miles into my ride, the sun had set.  
       It was magnificent. The bay waters quietly lapped only 2-4 feet from the wheels of my bicycle. Hearing the crunching sound of sand squished by my tires was hypnotic. I stopped at one point and looked out over the bay. Mallard ducks and pelicans sat peacefully in the water. 
4. I'm happy for wind, nature's beauty, the embryonic sound of water sloshing and making time for me. 
5. After my ride, on a television at a local restaurant, I watched my baseball team play. This is not a common event, being that I don't own a TV.  I was glad to connect to a sport I once competed in as a young kid.
Balanced by Boundaries
6.  I'm thankful for boundaries. They are critical for my happiness and sanity. If I weren't careful, I'd get calls at all hours. 
      I don't allow that.  Some clients wanted my services today, at unscheduled times.  Can't do that. I'm thankful for the balance that boundaries provide me. I can't please everyone. 
How About You? 
1. What makes you feel alive? Lately, biking has been doing that for me.
2. What do boundaries mean for you? If you are grateful for boundaries, why?  I know for me, my life is chaotic, if I don't use them.
3. How are you at exercising boundaries? When are you most vulnerable to not exercise them? Is it when you are with friends, and you don't want to displease them? 
      I'm off for bed; all the exercising I've been doing the past few days is tuckering me out. I wish you a terrific Tuesday!

2 comments:

aileen said...

3 gratitudes for today:

1. the weather
2. food to meet most of my nutritional needs
3. hope for help to somehow manage a rent increase that well exceeds my ability to pay it in the face of long term unemployment rindering me unemployable at my age thus far

Pablo said...

Good to see you Aileen,

The weather in these parts has been superb. I'll enjoy a few hours of it today, when I go for a ride.

I'm sorry to hear about the rent increase. :(

You have my prayers. You are doing many things right: your studies, personal work and helping out others. I trust that your efforts are repaid with better news for you in the near future.

Hoping for the best,
The Innkeeper

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels