Sunday, October 28

Grateful for Victory, Celebrating Life 10/28/12

         For those of you who don't live in the United States, please bear with me.  I know my enthusiasm for baseball may not resonate with you.  However, if you look at the bigger picture, the lesson this team offers, perhaps you can relate with that. More about that in a second.

         My team, the San Francisco Giants, won the Major League Baseball championship, the World Series!  Am I happy.  I've spent the past few days entranced by their inexorable march towards triumph.

Against All Odds......

         What drama....having won 94 games in the regular season and winning the Western Division, the playoffs began.  Here, their backs were to the wall, twice. Once, they were behind two games to nothing, in a best of five contest against divisional opponents, the Cincinnati Reds. The team from San Francisco was one game away from elimination.  The Giants won the remaining three games.

         A second time, they survived after losing three games to one, in the seven game series with their National League championship opponents---the St. Louis Cardinals, once again, one more loss and their season was over. They won the next three games in a row.  The Cardinals never lost thrice at home, all season----in 162 games, until they played this Californian team.

        Historically, in twenty-one attempts, no previous team in similar circumstances overcame such odds.  Much can be said about the Giants' steadfastness, in the face of what should have been overwhelming adversity.  They thus batted and battled their way into the interleague contest, known as the World Series.

       Listen to what the Giants right fielder, Hunter Pence had to say:
"For one, we didn't allow doubt to ever creep in.  You know, the thing that made this team so special is just playing as a team, caring for each other.  We had our backs against the wall and we knew it wasn't going to be easy.  It's not supposed to be."
        Upon reaching the World Series, through excellent, inspired pitching and defense, timely hitting and brilliant managing, they seized control. The Giants decimated the American League Detroit Tigers, a team considered superior by the East Coast pundits.  The San Francisco team swept the series, winning four games in a row.  Wow!

         Now, they are national champions, the second time in three years.  This was accomplished after not having won the title in the fifty-six years, until 2010.

An Example of Ego-Free Camaraderie
   
        What is remarkable is the exuberant joy, love, and esprit de corps that this wonderful, talented, humble, generous group of men (many of them of strong faith) share with each other.  I have been unabashed follower of this team since I was ten, many years ago.  Having played organized baseball since that age, doing so---over many years---I have a strong affinity for the sport and this team that represents where I live.

        I marvelled as the Giants won the World Series. This happenstance meets my need for celebrating what mankind can do when working cooperatively with others. This is certainly what happened with this team. It was all about each player doing his best for his teammate---the fellow next to him.

        Again, another word from Hunter Pence:
"That was one of our mottos, and we went out there to enjoy every minute of it and it was hard earned. Just an incredible, incredible group of guys that fought for each other."
       Their focus was not their own individual statistics, or ego.  Tim Lincecum, was a prime example. This twice-awarded Cy Young winner, given to a season's best pitcher, was reduced to relief pitching, as in mop up duty.

        He didn't complain or mope. Instead, Tim threw excellently, with enthusiasm.  All he cared about was helping his team win. Atta boy, Timmy!  Thank you for your example, reflecting the value of humility.

My Gratitudes for Sunday

1. Witnessing true affection and teamwork among a professional sports team, the Giants. They also demonstrated a fantastic attribute: faith. Without it, we don't accomplish much. With it, we can transcend even seemingly unconquerable odds.
2. Tonight, I enjoyed the hospitality from a loving family. They had me over for dinner and we soaked up the game on their big screen. Nice. I was also offered ice cream, that made it even better.
3.  I'm attending the parade that will take place this Wednesday. I can't wait. Let the good times roll.
4. I took a nap in the afternoon, before the game. I appreciated the rest.
5. I'm taking steps to improve my welfare, tomorrow. I'll meet with others who will advise me as to options available that will provide me with more security. This will increase my sense of ease.
6. I'm thankful for friends. They have improved as I have improved----as I've grown in my discernment.  We will never find fulfillment or healing by living in isolation.
7. I look forward to riding my bike tomorrow, going out of town in the morning, and then returning in
the afternoon, to see clients.
8. My business is thriving---more and more clients are wanting my services. I love what I do.  I'm glad I'm able to serve others. I enjoy having my own business. I thank God for the abundance He provides.
How About You? 
I asked over the weekend what was your high and low points for the past week. I shared mine. You can read them here. What are yours? Your answers would meet my need for community and reciprocity. I look forward to hearing them!

6 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Even though your team beat my beloved Cincinnati Reds on their path to victory, I congratulate you on your team winning the World Series :-)

Pablo said...

Keith,

It's great having you back! Thanks for your kind and gracious comment. I wish you success in your studies.

How are you? Anything new?

A curious innkeeper.

Don G said...

Congrats to the Giants. I am the eternal optimist (read: I am a Cubs fan).

I did enjoy the Bear's last second victory over the Panthers on Sunday.

So much to be thankful for...sports is just the icing, God is the cake!

Pablo said...

Don,

I appreciate your visit. Good to see you! I still ache, remembering the '85 Bears beating a pretty good 49er team, Ditka being the coach for Chicago.

Thanks for dropping by, reading and commenting. Wishing the best for you, this week.

Carl H said...

Dear Innkeeper,

WOW, you could be a sports writer for the SF Chronicle! You captured the teams spirit and season beautifully!

And for someone who gives out as much love, care and psychic energy for others as you do, you certainly deserved to be treated to a "Giants Party!"

And what a thrill it was to see them win! The look on Sergio Romo's face, and each team mate was priceless! And how about that outfield! Each one took a brief moment to look heavenward and thank God first!

I grew up going to Candlestick Park to watch the Giants play in the early and mid 60's, with my Dad and siblings, was blessed to see Willie Mays, McCovey, Kirkland, the Alou Brothers, et. al, and loved every minute! Had mustard on a hot dog for the first time ever there!

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1960&t=SFN

One core theme of this team, which resonates perfectly with this Inn is that they were GRATEFUL! Grateful to be playing for the Giants, grateful for the love, support and encouragement from one another, grateful for their brilliant (calm in the eye of the storm) coach, and coaching staff, grateful to have the best fans in the world and grateful to be a part of such a rich legacy!

They always knew they could count on each other, when in a bind. Even when Cain's pitching faltered, the defense was stellar! They love the game, love each other, love their teammates, coach and above all, ALWAYS HAVE FUN! So true; we can learn a lot from these guys!

My Monday Gratitudes are;

1. That our beloved Giants took it all (again)!

2. That I could catch a generous nap this afternoon, after a long and busy weekend.

3. That my cell battery dying today in the middle of an important client call, with my car-charger left at home, did not push my "panic button," as it would have a year ago! Being completely cut off from clients, office and all, for an hour or so should never feel catastrophic; ever! To learn how to let go in these moments is a blessing and a joy; but takes work - practice.

4. That I'm being reminded daily when put in challenging situations, to avoid being "externally referented." (Codependent) That is, to be obsessed or consumed with what I imagine others may or may not be thinking of or about me. I love this slogan; "What you think of me is none of my business!"

5. That my son is throwing a birthday party for his buddy, and a bunch of his (wholesome and well-behaved) friends came over for cheese cake, and that I got a piece too!

6. That I'm taking the next two Monday's off work to be with family and friends.

Pablo said...

Dear Carl,

Your responses are always a pleasure to read. You are right, I was treated, when a friend and his family thought of me, inviting me to join them in watching the World Series in their home. I appreciate their hospitality and friendship we share.

I think it's great, the fond memories you have about the Giants and the role it played with your family.

I, too, was touched by many members of the Giants team. It says alot, their mindfulness of God, in a moment of their greatest achievement, this season.

Yes, it's refreshing witnessing a professional team in sports, exhibiting unrestrained joy. I'm sure their genuine love for one another and the special bond they share contributed to their motivation and success.

Thank you, Carl, for your consistency in posting gratitudes. You've added much to the positivity and hope that fills the walls of this inn. May your tribe increase!

A grateful innkeeper

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels