Tuesday, October 16

The Value of Boundaries: I'm Less Frustrated, And, Priming the Pump

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing; the last
of the human freedoms – to choose one’s attitude in any


 given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."
 
                

Viktor Frankl
Image: "Under the Willows by Tim Blessed. Copyrighted photo,
used by his kind permission. 
   Good evening,

My Gratitudes for Tonight:
1. I slept eight hours last night.  It's been months since that has happened. I appreciate a good night of rest.
2. Today, I had an intense session with a client. We looked at his depression. I'm glad he was able to see he has options, healthy ones. He can make choices that allow him to overcome the areas that frustrate him and make him feel stymied.
3. Today, the rack I installed on my bike Monday was put to use----I carried sixty-one pounds of food today. I also used it to carry my bag of books, when I rode to work. It's much better, having a rack; I've never had one on any bike I've owned.  I'm seeing the practical uses it offers. It's great!
4. I'm happy about the conversation I had with Marc, yesterday, as mentioned in yesterday's post.
5. I'm visiting a friend tomorrow evening, we'll walk along the shores of Alameda.
6. I'm preparing for the nonviolent communication workshop I'm giving at a conference this Saturday.  I enjoy putting together presentations. It's great having my voice and using it to help others.
7. I went grocery shopping, I'm thankful for the abundance we enjoy here, in the United States.
8. I did laundry today. I love the fresh smell of clean clothes.
9. Thursday, my oldest son and I will scamper around town on bikes. It's wonderful having family members who are best of friends, where we can talk about anything. I'm always available for my sons. Nothing compares to family and good times shared.
Boundaries
10. I'm thankful for the order that boundaries provide. I've been relating with someone where I'm not happy with our friendship. I'm glad that I'm able to discuss what troubles me.
     Expressing what concerns me releases the pressure and frustration within me.  It also provides an opportunity for things to improve.  If I don't communicate my concerns, there's no chance of that happening.
Please overlook Zig Ziglar's enthusiasm. Take what you like and leave the rest. 

      I love my life. I'm seeing the results of priming the pump  (see gratitude 4) and having a vision. I'm grateful for friends who are there for me as I move forward, seeing progress.
12. I enjoy my profession and am thankful for the creativity I'm able to exercise through my work.
How About You? 
What are your gratitudes for today? 

2 comments:

Carl H said...

Dear Innkeeper,

Tonight I am Grateful for;

1. A family meeting in which I could share three readings from a daily reader called Courage to Change; page 155 (on reacting and defending vs. not), page 118 and page 19 (on self-esteem). For the most part, three of our sons, a friend, and my wife were all dialed into the content; engaged. It was refreshing, and a civil and practical discussion ensued.

2. The novelty of listening to the Giant's playoff game on the radio, while driving to/from sales calls. It was nice because I could yell freely in the car about leaving so many men stranded on base!

3. Less work travel today; a lighter schedule and some very sold rest once home; since the Giant's game in St. Louis was rained out (I think?)

4. More time to catch up on my homework this week, with so much other activity swirling around me.

5. That our #3; on and off, petulant son is learning to surrender to civility, honor our boundaries, and be more public (chores) minded.

Pablo said...

Dear Carl,

What a lovely post. That's amazing. You had a Quiet Time, a devotional study with your family.

I'm a strong supporter of the Giants, too. Even though their pitching leaves much to be desired, lately.

What causes you to do homework? What do you think has caused the change in son number three?

Thank you, for your gratitudes, Carl. I appreciate the dialog we share. Wishing you a great Saturday!

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels