Sunday, May 22

Wealthy Beyond Measure: Stress Free, Too .5/22/11


“Abundance does not consist in how
 much we have, but in how much
 we enjoy.”
 
     Good evening, everyone,
How was your weekend? Yesterday, my sons, a friend, and I were immersed in nature all day. At Sunol Regional Wilderness Park, near Niles Canyon, south of Pleasanton.  My sons, along with a friend I've known for fourteen years, and I hiked. For more than two hours, alternatingly
basking and slowly baked in the weather in the steep hills. We tromped, scampered, and clambered; I have a heat rash on my neck to prove it.

1. I'm thankful for my physical well-being, sweet times with family and friends, the daytime chirping of crickets, and the fact that I wasn't tasted as fresh meat by a blood-thirsty mosquito. 

One part of the creek that we scampered over
          The time spent together was heavenly. We clambered over boulders strewn across a raging creek, swollen by rain that poured in earlier this week. The canopy of branches and leaves shaded us from the weather while we explored the creek.

           As the sun shone through the leaves, the variegated shades of green, sewn together with patches of blue sky (that peeked beyond the limbs of the gnarly trees), provided a quilt for the soul and eyes. This natural covering outdid any ceiling in any palace or magnificent hotel like the Fairmont. Enveloped by panoramic vistas that stretched on for fourteen miles was the balm needed for the demands of urban living.

           My walking stick was handy. I bounded from one boulder to another while at Little Yosemite, the name for the area. The stick allowed me to vault across the water, one boulder at a time.(See photo above.) There were multiple waterfalls. Their watery roar blasted away our cares for the moment.

        The day added to my happiness quotient. We trekked trails after exploring the waterfalls. Feeling my quadriceps strain, catching my breath was all part of the joy of climbing the side of a hill strewn with cow patties. 

         My sons, friend, and I chatted while marching upwards. At the hill's peak, we devoured the 360-degree restful vista of green hills, trees, unencumbered with a telephone line, road, or tract homes, while listening to the roar of the rain-swollen creek below. Traversing the hill, we paused to fly a multi-hued, two-string stunt kite we had brought along. 

        It wasn't to be.  It flew only for a half minute, the weather too good for it to stay aloft, notwithstanding the prompts from the mooing cows pasturing below.

        My sons, friend, and I spent four hours immersed in nature.  I may not have a cabin in the woods.  I may not have visited Paris yet.  

        I'm deeply loved. I'm tremendously wealthy, beyond measure.  I delight in the rich times shared with friends and family. 

        I know how to handle stress and less than kind people. I know God's gracious, accepting love; I experience it from family and those who love me.

        I'll treasure yesterday's memories. They provide gratitude. Oh yeah, the world didn't end; you might recall some radio preacher predicted the end of the world. 

       I'm not too sorry for those in his flock that quit their jobs and sold all they had. They needed more discernment. I hope they learned.  

       The fact the world remains means I'll live to see my grandkids. Not that I'm pushing for that---my sons are young. More importantly, if the world had ended yesterday, I would have been ready to meet my Maker.

2.  I'm thankful for the time of bonding, communicating, and celebrating nature together with my sons and a dear friend.

3. This morning, Sunday, I had a two-hour discussion with my middle son. The only thing that would have improved our time would have been to top our time with a visit to Fenton's Ice Cream Parlor.

The personal growth I've enjoyed over the past seven years has contributed greatly to my serenity and sanity----yaaay!. One area of personal improvement is the detachment I now exercise. A key component of this detachment is grace and compassion toward those who disturb me.

 4. Earlier in the morning, I spoke with someone who tried pushing my buttons. I'm thrilled this morning that I responded and did not react to the provocateur when challenged. I'm happier that I replied with calmness. It's liberating not to allow another person's emotions to trigger mine.

    We enjoy personal, characterological, and spiritual growth when snide, hateful comments are overlooked, and we can see the humor in what used to be terrifying, disturbing moments. It is a joy living life on our terms while being empathetic to others, even when we disagree with them. Empathy does not mean agreement.

  5. With a friend, I went to one of my favorite cafes this afternoon: Abigail Cafe. It's owned by a Moroccan couple. I spoke limited Arabic with them.  Moroccan tea was served with a nice silver tea set and an eggplant Parmesan sandwich.  

      Sitting at a table that's next to a picture window overlooking the San Francisco Bay, The City, and San Francisco Peninsula was a terrific way to start this week. 

    While there, we met a kind, intelligent business owner from the Netherlands----Jange. It's pronounced Young. His education was in philosophy, an interest of mine. He joined our table, and away we went, discussing leadership, controlling our attention, public speaking, speaking out of our fullness rather than from our neediness, and his four thousand mile journey over the past few weeks from Boston to Alameda, his newly purchased $7,000 Moto Guzzi motorcycle.

     I think I might have him do some work for me. Time will tell. Two hours flew by in that cafe. 

     My friend who joined us for lunch went with me as we met with other friends at 4:00 p.m. I didn't like the feel of my time with this group of friends. I trust my intuition. My gut was right this afternoon. Just before our time with them wrapped up, I piped up. I was the last to speak. I mentioned that there's no growth in continually complaining or presenting ourselves as victims.

     I was disappointed to hear most of those at the gathering not focusing on the solution and actually bemoaning their past histories.  Of course, I shared one of my favorite quotes. "Acting like a victim is a choice. It's not a destiny." You could hear a pin drop after I was done.

    Oh, I should say I was with my female friend and twenty-five other women. No other guys were there. Before leaving I visited with L___, one of those who earlier said she felt like a victim because of her parents.  The quotation I shared with her I'll post tomorrow.
6. I went to Fenton's Ice Cream Parlor Sunday afternoon, a wish fulfilled. I can't think of a better way of enjoying the weekend: a hike in the woods, fantastic fellowship with my son, speaking my truth among a gaggle of geese, and enjoying ice cream at my favorite ice cream parlor. How could I not have an Attitude of Gratitude? 

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Paul, are you left-handed? Or one that prefers not to be bothered by a watch?

You lead a rich life with little room for complaint. I think any man surrounded by 26 women would concur. :)

All joking aside, it sounds as if you had a grand weekend- especially the hike. I take my son out to a 'nature preserve' not far from my home, and we hike through there, but we go slow and easy as he is still young and not terribly surefooted. You can believe that I am grooming him for more rigorous adventures to come, though.

I read someone describe gratitude and hope as the "same emotion on opposite sides of the mirror of time" (here) and I thought I would pick your brain on that concept....since you are somewhat of a gratitude authority. What do you think?

You didn't ask, but I assume standard protocol remains:

I'm grateful that changing my mind is only as hard as I make it.

I'm grateful for the bits of awareness that I pick up along the way that, more than anything, give me clarity of sight.

I'm grateful that I've been informed of the notion 'progress, not perfection'. Even though it is hard to believe, I remember it when need be.

Pablo said...

Kelly,

It's so good to see you! Yes, after my hike I took a bath and brushed my teeth. I was wondering what kept others from posting in this inn, recently. :-> Thanks for dropping by and saying hi.

Yes, I'm left-handed. So are two of my three sons. In fact they were the two who hiked this past Saturday. (That photo was a stock photo---my arms aren't that hairy. :-P When I wear a watch, I wear it on my left wrist---for now, it’s broken)

Being with twenty-six women is an experience. Frequently, I'm in settings that are predominantly female. Usually, I'm a silent but curious witness hearing comments from women that are not usually said, when men are present. Yesterday, when I was with these women, I grew weary. I tire when hearing people claiming they are victims. I'm not in agreement with this mentality. We have choices. It makes me wonder if secretly some of the complainers want pity and want be looked at as a martyrs.

"If you feel like a doormat, you
need to get up off the floor."

That's terrific you get your son out in nature. It's a great way to bond and create memories. He won't forget the adventures you share out in the country; it also does wonders for you.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Regarding your comment about hope and gratitude, I think that's a terrific way to look at these perspectives. I believe gratitude is something that can be learned. I've had plenty of less than fortunate experiences. But, I've learned that happiness comes not from the absence of conflict, but from our ability to cope with them.

What's more important is that we stay present. Hope refers to viewing the future with a positive outlook; gratitude looks back with the same perspective. Better, is staying present, making the most of our day. The nature of the day is to waste it---squander it---if we are not careful. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow never comes. All we have is today.

Making wise choices allows us to seize the opportunities that a day offers. Not doing so makes us prone to be underachievers---not making the best possible deal from what was available for us, this day, which can make us frustrated and unfulfilled.

I'm actually paraphrasing wisdom I learned from a Koine Greek (A First Century Greek) passage that I agree with wholeheartedly.

You may have seen that you received an award from me, nine days ago. You were rewarded for doing precisely what you're doing today. (Note the 5/15 Country Walk Post, comments section.) Thank you, for sharing your three gratitudes! I love it when we experience community in this inn, you help make that happen here. Thanks for your comments and sharing your three sources of joy!

Might I add, it always helps having God's strength when we want to make improvements (changes---most people don't like change, but they don't mind improvements). I find it's much better having his help, as I face life's challenges and struggles.

I'm happy you are growing, bit by bit. I'm mindful of a quote I've shared before in this inn:

"Remind me that the race does not always go to the swift,
There's more to life than increasing its speed.
Let me look upwards into the towering oak and remember that it grew great and strong
because it grew slowly and well."

Here's to your and my incremental, my consistent growth,

The Innkeeper

Kelly said...

A stock photo! And to think, I had you all figured out! ;)

Being a martyr is something my mother commits herself to, but not in the true sainthood sense of the word. I forget, sometimes, but I have to be careful as that was the model I had growing up and it isn't at all what I want to be.

I appreciate the honor of receiving such a fine award, and I also appreciate your acknowledgement and encouragement of my growth. You have an interesting place here, you do.

Pablo said...

Kelly,

It's good you see the influence, be it good or bad, of your mom's behavior. Awareness is the first step towards getting healthy. In some circles it's considered 80% of the solution, with acceptance being 18% and action the last 2%. We can't make any changes without awareness. We have to be able to see it, first, before any improvements can be made.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad I encourage you, and others. I'm happy if I do: I'm the gratitude guy, and hope the spirit of those who drop by are lifted by their visits to this inn.

Keep on exercising your gratitude muscles with your posts,

taras1 said...

Hello my dear sweet Left Coast friend. I see that you are doing well. I am glad that you have created another Inn. I have so much catching up to do. I know that my gratitude's are very heavy, but I have carried them so long..and I have not voiced them. Here in my room, I can write without being judged, being laughed at or someone patting me on the shoulder like a child.
I have missed so much...but there will be time.
I am grateful for the connections I have made that led me to here. I have prayed for peace. I am finding...sanctuary
I am grateful that I am able to feel. I closed people out for so long, after the death of my dear grand-mother-and continue to find myself shutting the door. I have to remind my self to open my heart. She loved so much, so deep and so hard. She taught me to give second chances, because I was a second chance. I was adopted into a loving family where would I be if not for them? They are not without their faults and neither am I..
I am grateful for my family-they allowed me to be with my grandmother until the very end. No questions. My husband stayed endless nights, rubbing my neck and back, bringing food I did not eat, my favorite pillow and my favorite blanket. He made sure I took my medicine and when I had a seizure, he made sure I was in a safe place that no one could see because he understands I am sensitive.
I am grateful I was able to sing to my grandmother. How her eyes were set on glory, but how they fixated on me when I sang songs from her hymnal.
I did not want her final days to be quiet and people to tiptoe around her. She was not that way. I wanted people to be joyful and sing. Read scripture and praise. I had preachers from several counties to come and pray. Family and friends came and went. My grandmother lived 15 days without water and food. No medications, no oxygen. She was at home, and I was with her. I held her hands, changed her clothes, sponged her mouth, sang to her, and prayed.
I am so grateful for this and much, much more.
There will be days, I cry for no reason. There will be whispers on the wind, and I feel her.
There will be the scents and I dream of her. I will always carry her with me. She will never be far.
Thank you dear friends.
Thank you "Pablo". Paul.
I am grateful for Scooter Sims for helping me find you.
I am grateful for being here.
Tara AKA Hickory

Pablo said...

Tara,

Thank you for your kind words; what a lovely post! I'm sorry for not replying sooner. :-(

In this inn, you'll also find support. You have mine and that of the many kind people who drop by. I'm so glad we are connecting again. The first letter you wrote me, at SSS, touched me deeply. This is a wonderful missive, too.

I hope this inn encourages you. Your soul can rest in God's love. He cherishes you deeply. I'm glad to hear from you! Being adopted makes you special---you were sought. I find comfort in Ps. 27: 10

"When my mother and father forsake me, the Lord shall lift me up."

He promises to be our father and mother, in that case; he gives a special dispensation to the fatherless and motherless.

Thanks for sharing your recent journey as you spent time with your grandmother, before she died. I'm sorry for your loss. You must have despaired during that time.

I bet your grandma was very thankful for how you orchestrated others to come by and encourage her, in the Lord. I know you'll never forget the special season you shared with her.

Tara, your grandmother still lives. She resides within your heart and all those who were touched by her life.

Thank you for finding me, for reading and for sharing your heart. Let's talk soon!

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels