Wednesday, May 4

Getting Work Done, Boundaries, Freedom from Pretense

Father holds his baby (3 months), supporting the head. Kissing or blowing on the babys belly. Baby is laughing. Stock Photo - 1665298

      What a wonderful Wednesday this was!
The weather was fabulous. Now is the time when I frequently post gratitudes; while it is still this day, minutes away from tomorrow. As you will read below, there are many things for which we can be grateful. It's not really hard to think of some.

      If you're stumped, try using the alphabetical approach: I'm grateful for air, I love the sound of babies laughing, as their parents blow on their bellies and beautiful flowers.  I'm thankful for cars and cats.  You get the idea.
Once you come up with some, please share them, here.

Gratitudes for Wednesday:

1.  I did plenty of footwork today. I tackled what I needed to do, made calls that were critical and left the results up to God, always a good thing. The support and insight I received last night, from two friends familiar with the issues I'm wrestling with, spurred me on to get it done. I'm grateful for teamwork, support, community and encouragement from others.

2.  Today, someone wanted me to be responsible for their interpretations of my behavior. It's important to realize that perception isn't necessarily reality.  I'm glad that I shook off the insanity of the request.  We're not responsible for the feelings of others. Another person's feelings is their property.  My feelings are mine.

     No one can make us happy, sad, frustrated or whatever, without us giving them our permission. I'm thankful for not being externally oriented, allowing others to determine my happiness or trap me into meeting their unrealistic expectations. Thank God for boundaries.

3. I heard terrific news today!  I found out that I'll be getting funding for the next half a year, possibly longer, as I continue to develop my business. I'll be more reassured when I'll get my first check next week. Yaaay!

4. I'm happy that I'll be spending more time with my phenomenal, wonderful sons, soon. Nothing is more fulfilling than being with family and having a fantastic time that includes humor, joy, love, acceptance and hope.

5.  Being the optimist that I am, I thankful, in advance, for postings of gratitudes from the visitors of this inn.

6. I luxuriated in having time, today---in the midst of a crazy day----to invest in me. Quiet Time, recharged my emotional, mental and spiritual batteries. I made the effort, even though I needed to prepare for this evening. That leads to my last gratitude.......

7. I spoke this evening on a topic, I love. The audience and I had fun addressing a serious issues. I spoke on living without pretense, coming to terms with those areas where we want to grow, the need for admitting they exist, how it's important to give up the "having it all together" act.

     I shared how we can free ourselves from the need to perform, in order to be accepted. More importantly, I shared what allows us to be free to be ourselves. We discussed how everyone has tremendous value, as is, and that the people God sends us will love us as we are. Other than, that, I didn't speak about much. :-P

              I look forward to hearing your gratitudes, 
                    
                                            The Innkeeper,

2 comments:

JohnChapter10Verse17 said...

Paul, would you care to briefly summarize what "living without pretense" means to you? I am interested in what what entails. Thanks.

I am grateful for realizing that I don't have to try to be like anyone else, only who I am in Jesus -- and that I am better because this is so.
I am grateful for the payment and the example that the man called Jesus made, so that the "air is cleared" between me and God, and: "he who loves Me (Jesus) shall be loved by My Father and I shall love him and manifest Myself to Him." John 14:21
I am also grateful for realizing that there is no good in my self, and that dwelling in the self leads to sin. But if we deny our selves, focus on Jesus and do His (Father's) will, He shares with us His righteousness and leads us on the path to eternal life.
My gratitudes.
I appreciate the blog and the warm communication. Thanks.

Pablo said...

John,

Thanks for reading, commenting and especially for your question!

When I mentioned "living without pretense" I referred to the need some of us feel that we need to be more than who we are. When I spoke at this occasion mentioned above, I likened it to us acting like the Wizard of Oz. The wizard presented himself as mighty being, with a booming voice and a larger-than-life image. In reality, he was a common man.

When relating with emotionally mature others, with whom we can share our vulnerabilities, we find we are loved for who we are and not for what we appear to be. The side benefit is that, after experiencing these type of relationships over time, something great happens: we begin to love ourselves for who we are, warts and all. This is called acceptance with grace, not resignation, towards ourselves.

My main point is that we don't have to act like we have it all together. Nobody does. We become less sure, more ourselves, when we realize this fact.
I also mentioned that night that if we have to be more than what we are, to be liked by others, we want to bless those people and send them on their way; they are NOT God's gift for us. Those God gives us love us for who we are. We don’t have to be a circus seal, jumping through hoops, in order to please. Healthy friends have our back. We get them for free. I hope this clarifies my point.

Hope to see you again,

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels