Wednesday, May 18

Spiritual Weightlifting, (The beginning of several regarding this subject. Here, We'll Cover Responding, Not Reacting) .. 5/18/11


 This is a view of the Fremont Hills. I grew up in this area, so did my sons.
  I lived right where the rainbow ends. I'm not kidding., in the town of Niles.
      I got together with others last night. It's nice hearing their successes, hope and experiences dealing with life's challenges. There were ideas expressed I can use. It's comforting, hanging out with others who express things we think, but are afraid to say..  It's reassuring knowing there  face similar circumstances. We are not alone.

     My gratitudes for today:
1.  It's great having a community of friends where we can be who are, good or bad, up or down, emotionally, and still be loved.
2. My middle son and I visited, yesterday and today, at length. Talking heart-to-heart is fulfilling. Connecting with another person is one of the richest times we can have. Having healthy relationships invigorates our soul.
    Behold, how good and pleasant it is when brothers dwell in unity!  Psalms 133:1
3. This morning I received good wishes from friends I've known since high school----my birthday is fast approaching. Experiencing kindness from them is heart-warming.
4. I celebrate that my provision comes from God. My job and my paychecks are not my source of  provision.

Spiritual Weightlifting

        I'm thankful for the healing power that a sense of humor has, when we experience tough times. When we exercise healthy principles, including mirth, instead of worrying or being upset---during stressful moments---we strengthen ourselves, emotionally. We're detaching, with love, from the situation. Doing so, gives us perspective. We are doing spiritual weightlifting.

        I'm grateful that, when tempted to say something regrettable,  we can use tempered, gracious responses. Reacting, would be blurting out the venom of sarcasm or judgment towards those who trouble us, or passively yielding to the blame or shame others would want us to wear. Today I succeeded. I didn't react. Whew! It was close----I'm happy I kept my mouth shut. It's easier doing so when we no longer allow others to define who we are nor determine our moods.

       It's easier doing so when we maintain our conscious contact with God, asking Him for His will, and the power to carry it out. I find it amazing that, in the Bible, God never uses shame, guilt or sarcasm to motivate us. It's pretty obvious why. God is Love. Love doesn't treat us in this way.  God will never stoop to that level, to motivate us, nor do we want to cheapen ourselves by acting this way, either. It helps us when we  learn to be happy when cruel people get mad at us---their reaction means we must be doing something right---we're not following their values. :->

       Even though others may disappoint us, it's our responsibility to deal with it. Our happiness is not contingent upon those wronging us, apologizing.  Please let me know what you think about this subject and what fills your heart with gratitude today.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am grateful that because of Jesus there is always hope,regardless of our circumstances.
I am also grateful for my older brother Don,who is willing to be a good listener and patient with my faults.

Pablo said...

Good to see you, again,

I will take a stab and guess you are Cynthia. How was your weekend? :->

There's always hope for today. Every time we apply healthy tools and principles in our lives we allow ourselves to create a better today. We're placing principles above our personality. Always a good thing.

You are fortunate to have a Balcony Person, Don. We are always stronger when we have them in our lives. Life is a "we" program. We cannot overcome our struggles by ourselves, alone. We weren't meant to.

Here's to you having a wonderful week,

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels