Friday, May 13

Staying in the Solution: Much Better Than Assigning Blame 5/13/11


    It's great being in the saddle again. Yesterday, from one p.m. on, I was unable to post in this inn; the Blogger system was down, even after midnight, Left Coast time.

.   How are each of you doing?  Today was a crazy day. I'm pooped. Over five miles I hiked today. I got several errands done.

My gratitudes for Friday:

1. I'm tending to Alexander, a cat that's dying. He's 15 and a half years old. I love the guy. The feeling is mutual. Soon, he'll be gone. It tugs at my heart when this formerly aloof cat climbs out of his death bed, to see me, whenever I drop by. When I'm not around, he doesn't do that; he just lays on top of his cat pillow that's warmed with a vet-approved electric blanket made for house pets.Except for this story.  I enjoy the love and fellowship we share.
2. I got additional funding recently. I'm thankful for the additional resources. More importantly, I'm grateful for habits and principles that allow me to maximize and do a better job as a steward of God's provision. 
3.  I'm happy I'll see a friend tomorrow. It's been a long time since we visited---since February. This friend I've known since 1997. I'm thankful for the stability I enjoy with long-established friends. Tomorrow, we'll take in lunch and views of the San Francisco Bay.
4. Last night I slept for eight hours. That's exceptional for me. It feels terrific to get rest. I needed it----today was a doozy. I was in three different towns and got plenty of exercise. 
5.  This morning, I wrote in a newspaper for a city that's about sixty miles from my home. I took a stand against negativity and criticism against a writer that I like. I stated that it's better to say what we want, than to complain about what we don't have. Here's an excerpt:

"It amazes me how quickly we judge a person if that
individual doesn’t do what we want. We assign blame to 
them; frequently, we consider them as bad, or some other
negative interpretation of their character. In this case, 
many who’ve written above vented their frustrations due 
to [the writer in question not covering a subject they want
covered, in the newspaper].

It’s usually better staying in the solution. Complaining 
about what troubles us only makes the things that bother
us loom larger and more disturbing.
I grew up in San Jose, near Campbell; I’ve been a life-
long Bay Area resident. I think it’s better if we appreciate
the uniqueness offered by each part of the San Francisco
Bay Area, rather than denigrating one region, because we
live in another. I find contentment doesn’t require much. 
I find the following quote gives me perspective that contrib-
utes to more joy in my life.

'All happy people are grateful. Ungrateful people cannot
be happy. We tend to think that being unhappy leads
people to complain, but it is truer to say that complaining
leads people to becoming unhappy.'
I don’t ask anyone to agree with me. Take what you like and leave the rest."

by Pablo Fuentes

*********************************************

       After I submitted this response in the Press Democrat, which covers the Santa Rosa area of the the North Bay, the complaints stopped.   There were over 20 complaints before I added my two cents.

       I'm thankful for taking a stand in a world that considers it sophisticated to whine, complain, be sarcastic, or cynical. As David Foster Wallace said:
Irony and negativity can critique but it can’t nourish or redeem.
6. I'm grateful for having a different opinion and the strength to express it. I used non-violent communication (NVC, for more about this, please click here.): I expressed my observations, feelings about them, my needs and my requests regarding them without using the five forms of life-alienating communication: blame, shame, fear, guilt or judgment. 

     Please let me know what you thoughts, even if you read this months from now. Your responses add life to this place and your insights I value: I can always grow by seeing your point of view. Mine is limited.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Thanks for sharing all of this, Paul.

Cats are good companions, aren't they? I'm always intrigued by the fact that they all have such different personalities. I don't do well with the death of a loved one...

It is nice, too, to hear about the impact your response to the paper has had on the feedback from others. You do have a way with words, it is always nice when people know how to use their gifts.

Pablo said...

Kelly,

You're almost making me blush. Good to see you.

I experienced my mom dying in my arms----I'm glad I was with her and we had a precious time, before she moved on to her eternal life. I sang to her while playing the guitar, the night before she passed. More special was the good bye we shared that night. I'll post it on another page, in this blog. Experiencing that prepared me for any other loss I might have.

Anonymous said...

Very true about complaining, no matter how valid our complaints may be - the effect is still the same. Being of British descent, complaining comes quite naturally to me. :P Not really a gratitude, but a comment nonetheless.

Pablo said...

Thag,

Thanks for dropping by and commenting, now you are officially not a lurker. :-P Besides, you didn't complain: you affirmed. :->

I find it much better to say what we want, than to express what we don't want. It makes sense that that is my perspective, considering I'm the gratitude guy.

You've my prayers, too.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels