Monday, May 23

Reflections As Another Year Passes: Grateful for a Satisfying Life. (Also more questions from the innkeeper.) ...........................................5/23/11

      Welcome to the visitors from Indonesia, Malaysia and Germany. Now, it's time for me to fess up. This upcoming Saturday is my birthday. Part of my growth as an adult is letting others know the date. Keeping it a secret was my MO. I've gotten beyond that. Now, I celebrate the day I entered this world with others. I'll spend this upcoming Saturday with some of the gang that I mention in this blog. All three sons will be with me along with
several long-time friends.

       We'll have fun doing things that I love. We'll go to the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco to hear jazz.  I look forward to that, much. The Laurel Court Restaurant in the hotel is one of my favorite places. Afterwards, my guests and I will play Pit, one of my favorite games. Before doing so, we'll head over to Mel's for dessert, a diner place. I'll get a free t-shirt from them because of my birthday.
This is where we'll be on Saturday. We'll listen to jazz on the piano, played by Eric Shifrin, a fantastic pianist.
This place used to be my regular hangout for several years. I'd drop by here on Friday and Saturday nights.
       Physically, I don't feel differently than I did when 27. The only difference is that my life is richer, happier and more satisfying. Life skills I didn't have when I was that age, I now use: expressing my needs, listening empathetically while asserting boundaries I now do; being an adult means disagreeing---not always giving in to the needs others; I now say my no as gently as my yes, with courtesy and kindness; I no longer allow others to determine my moods or define me; I'm not easily triggered and I now respond and don't react as much as I did, when younger. Better friendships are mine now----mainly because of developed character discernment. My life is better. I'm a better person.

      My relationship with God and serious changes  I've made in the last seven years contribute to the upswing in life. Studying, and applying  healthy principles allows me to have a more satisfying life and relationships.  Life is definitely happier and my vision is clearer.  And for these reasons, I have an Attitude of Gratitude.

So, besides the gratitudes expressed, I'm thankful for:

1. For the joy that fills my heart, which is plenty.
2. I took a three hour nap this evening. I'm glad that I responded when my body was in HALT. Click here if you want to know more about about this concept. It's one of the more popular posts in the inn.
3. I'm grateful hearing Kelly's gratitudes. I love it when we experience community here. For you Silent Readers, you who drop by without posting, please sign the registry to this inn by expressing three things for which you are grateful. Do so, in your native language, if it isn't English. I'd still enjoy hearing them.
4.For freedom from depression, frustration and fear. Expressing our needs, learning healthy alternatives and staying in the present does wonders to overcome these areas that frequently trip up many.
5. I'm thankful for the practice of daily seeking God's will, not mine, and asking Him for the power to carry it out. I'm glad I'm freed from the tyranny of self-will run riot.
6. I'm thankful for surrendering my life to God. I enjoy a freedom of heart I never knew before I did so.

        I've shared my gratitudes. So did Kelley in the comments section of my previous post. May I ask you to share yours? It would meet my need for community, celebration of life and reciprocity. Thanks!

         Okay, so that's what's going on with me, this week and here are my questions.

1. How do you feel about birthdays? Are they important to you?
2. Is there a place you like to go to, on special occasions? If so, can you describe the place and what makes it special for you?
3. How has your life improved for you, in the past year? What made the difference?
4. What fills your heart with joy?

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels