Sunday, May 15

Reassuring a Little Girl

   
       Dear denizens of the Attitude of Gratitude Inn,
This story was forwarded to me this weekend. On the off chance that you haven't read this story, which is attributed as true, I share it with you. I especially relate to it.  A cat dear to me is dying: Alexander the Gray. He's an intelligent, spiritual, silvery-tipped, Russian Blue. Alexander has been getting subcutaneous fluids for over two years, due to renal failure.His medications now make him wobbly. His gig is almost up.

       The other day, when I dropped by, he got between me and the laptop I was using while waiting for my friend, who lives at Alex's house.  His big eyes stared into mine, quietly---but persistently---they pled for affection. I'm a sucker when gently entreated. Together, he and I spent time; he received the unique back rub down his spine that I give, which he likes. I sure would like someone from the Dead Letter Department of the local post office to send me a comforting letter, when Alex goes to cat heaven. May the tale that follows warm some cockles within your bosom, thereby contributing to your attitude of gratitude today. 

       May this Lord's Day bless you and yours,  

      The Innkeeper
******************************************************* 

     Our 14-year-old dog Abby died last month.  The day after she passed 
away my four-year-old daughter Meredith was crying and talking about 
how much she missed Abby.  She asked if we could write a letter to God 
so that when Abby got to heaven, God would recognize her.  I told her 
that I thought we could so, and she dictated these words:
 
     Dear God,
 
Will you please take care of my dog?  She died yesterday and is with you
in heaven.  I miss her very much. I'm happy that you let me have her as
my dog even though she got sick.  I hope you will play with her. She likes
to swim and play with balls.  I'm sending a picture of her so when you 
see her you will know that she is my dog.  I really miss her.
  

     We put the letter in an envelope with a picture of Abby and Meredith
and addressed it to God/Heaven.  We put our return address on it.  Then
Meredith pasted several stamps on the front of the envelope because she
said it would take lots of stamps to get the letter all the way to heaven. 
That afternoon she dropped it into the letter box at the post office.  A 
few days later, she asked if God had gotten the letter yet.  I told her that 
I thought He had.
 
       Yesterday, there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our front 
porch addressed, 'To Meredith' in an unfamiliar hand.  Meredith opened it. 
Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers called, 'When a Pet Dies.'  Taped to 
the inside front cover was the letter we had written to God in its opened
envelope. On the opposite page was the picture of Abby & Meredith 
and this note:
 
      Dear Meredith,
 
Abby arrived safely in heaven.  Having the picture was a big help; I
recognized her right away.  Abby isn't sick anymore. Her spirit is here
with me just like it stays in your heart.  Abby loved being your dog.
Since I have a pretty good memory,  I'm sending Abby's picture
back to you in this little book for you to keep and have something to 
remember Abby by.
 
      Thank you for the beautiful letter and thank your mother for helping 
you write it and sending it to me.  What a wonderful mother you have.
I picked her especially for you.  I send my blessings every day and 
remember that I love you very much.  By the way, I'm easy to find. 
I'm wherever there is love.
 
      With all my Love,

 
          
God

********************************************

      Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels