Wednesday, October 17

Making Time for Me 10/17/12

Where I stolled today, with a friend
       Good evening,

My Gratitudes for Tonight: 
1.  I rested today. It's good maintaining balance, I've been working pretty hard, seeing clients and preparing for a
workshop I'll give at a conference this weekend.
2.  In the early evening, I had a lovely walk with a friend, along the shoreline of Alameda.
That's San Francisco in the background
       The bay waters were calm. Viewing pelicans glide, inches from the water, hearing the cooing and flapping wings of other waterfowl, getting away from the roar of city traffic and observing the sun sink behind the San Francisco peninsula was a wonderful vacation from my normal routine.
       Enveloped by nature, my body and mind was restored, filled with calmness and tranquility.
3.  The weather was warm today, a terrific day for being outside. I'm thankful that I made time to get away from the demands I'm facing. Taking time to pause helps me to keep perspective.
4.  I gathered with friends tonight. It was good hearing what was going on with them, as they shared how they are overcoming the demands they face.
The streets I cycled tonight

5.  Later, after my time with friends, I rode my bike. The late evening weather was warm. I'm thankful that cycling releases tension and connects me with nature in ways that a car never will.
6. My oldest son and I will cycle throughout the tree-lined island city of Alameda Thursday. It'll be nice having one-on-one time and dinner with him. I value his insights and the fellowship we share.
7. I will learn about repairing bent rim to bicycle wheel tomorrow, preparing for my ride later with my son. I'm growing in my competencies as a bike mechanic---it's a wonderful practical change from the theoretical/analytical nature of my work.
8. I had a terrific conversation this morning with a friend this morning. I'm glad hearing about his growth in assertiveness and how he's dealing with others who would want to pull him into unnecessary drama.
9. I'm glad I've spent $40.00 in gas since the first week of March and that same tank of gas is still full. I've only driven four blocks in that time, using my bike instead.
How About You?
What are your gratitudes? 

6 comments:

Carl H said...

Dear Innkeeper,

Thank you for your Wednesday evening post. I am jealous of your time outdoors, by the bay and cycling! I look forward to returning soon to some of these activities myself!

Tonight I am grateful for;

1. The modern device called a TV Remote Control. It allowed me to switch back and forth between the tortuous Greek tragedy of the Giants losing, and the narrow-margin win of the 49ers. How on earth did Neanderthal Man live without it!

2. The cool hillside evening breezes that bring soothing relief to an unseasonably warm/hot autumn day.

3. The unexpected help from the Giants playoff game radio announcers, and iced coffee, to stay awake during a grueling 2 plus hour bumper to bumper, "slower than molasses in January" workday drive from the Napa Valley Wine Country back home tonight.

4. Surprising and ongoing civility coming from a formerly petulant, angry and "victim-hood raised to an art form," adult son.

Pablo said...

Dear Carl,

Walking along the shore with a friend and riding my bike on a warm night, made for a lovely day.

Do you ever listen to inspirational CD's? AFG has CDs of the convention speakers. You might want to give that a try.

I appreciate the communication we share, here, in the inn.

Naz said...

Παύλο φίλε μου!
Ι really enjoyed the photos in this post! Glad you're doing fine! Keep cycling and sharing with us your gratefulness!

human psychology said...

i love your blog..i am a little bit jealous because you give a quality time for yourself..i am a busy person i seldom give myself a break that's why when i have a time i take yoga its pretty much relaxing

Pablo said...

Nalia,

My friend, I'm so sorry. I missed this post!I answered several others you posted on this day, but I missed this one.

Yes, the photos present a little of the charm and beauty of Alameda.

I will do what you have ordered: Ill continue publishing the praise I have for what goes on in my life.

When you have a chance,would it be possible for me to hear a few of yours? That's just a request.

Someday we'll have to play guitars together. We could, if you have skype.

Είμαι που επιθυμούν ένα τέλειο και ευγνώμων ημέρα. Ελπίζω ότι είμαι λέγοντας ότι αυτό το δικαίωμα. Ξέρω μόνο πατάρι Ελληνική. Ο φίλος σας, Παύλου (Συγχωρέστε με αν έκανα λάθος, τουλάχιστον προσπαθώ.)

Let me know, if I made some mistakes, I can always improve.

Pablo said...

Welcome to the Inn, Human Psych,

I'm glad you found this cozy place in cyberspace. I see we have much in common---good! If I may ask, what do you like most about this place? How did you find this inn?

What's great about yoga is that it is not only terrific for the body, but restorative for the mind also. Kudos to you, for taking care of yourself, investing in your welfare, when you practice it.

I'm humbled that you dropped by, checked out this place and commented. It would be great hearing from you, again. Thanks for your visit!

A happy innkeeper

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels