Saturday, October 27

Taking Care of Self, Having Fun

       Just a  moment ago, I wrote about communicating our needs, rather than being passive or indirect about them. Being friendly, if we want a friendship with another person, was also covered in the previous post.
My Gratitudes for Saturday
1. My baseball team has won the first three games of a best of seven contest, the World Series.  It's always fun
celebrating the success of those you love. 
2. I enjoyed the time I spent with others, while viewing tonight's game. A community event, it was. Several friends and I rooted for our team, the San Francisco Giants. 
3. A conversation after the game got my attention. I liked connecting with this person. 
4. Before the game, I made homemade soup, with lentil beans as the base.
     As the air gets nippier, warm soup is a perfect complement to autumn weather.  It was fun being creative. 
5. Several meals were batched---I'll use them for the upcoming week.
     I appreciate the ease I'll have in preparing meals over the next few days.  I enjoy planning ahead. 
6. In the morning, I mended and sewed, while watching a movie at home.
     This was a form of self-care, while having fun at the same time. It's a good feeling checking off items that were on my mental to-do list, catching up on long past due chores. 
7. I look forward to riding my bike after this post. It's been awhile since I've had a midnight ride.  I'm thankful for the lovely, picturesque, island town in which I live, for my health and the vigor I have, and that my leg is feeling better. 
8. I love the rack on my bike. I've had it about a week.  I know I've mentioned it the other day, but I'm still happy having it. It allows me to carry books and I no longer need to carry a bag slung over my shoulders.
9.  I'm thankful for contentment, clarity about feelings, and their source.  You can read more about this here
10. I look forward to the additional clarity I'll have tomorrow, when I spend time filing. I like feeding my inner adult. 
11. I'm excited about what God is going to do in my life---He does for me, what I cannot do for myself. I'm thankful for realizing that I'm not God. I can't heal myself, apart from his help and the healthy relationships he places in my life.  I appreciate having a perspective that reminds me that I am small---which is the meaning of my name, Pablo, or Paul. 
12. My leg is no longer aching, this, after nineteen days of it burning, due to an infection. I thank God for antibiotics and increasing health.
How About You? 
What are your gratitudes for today? As you probably know, I ask if you could possibly share three.

2 comments:

Syd said...

I am grateful for the friendships that I've made and continue to make. I find that when I am not isolating from others, I grow the friendship. Not surprising but very different from the person I was before recovery.

Pablo said...

Hey Syd,

I was not able to be friend until I learned how to be friendly and gentle towards myself. Recovery I've experienced through Al-Anon Family Groups made that possible.

I've learned how to have acceptance with grace, not resignation, towards the areas where I need to grow.

It's fulfilling having the friends I have. I appreciate my growth in authenticity---a result of inventorying areas where I needed to improve and then replacing these areas with healthier alternatives. I'm thankful for God's help in overcoming many of my vulnerabilities----I shall always be a work in progress.

I appreciate your comments. Have a good day. And, congrats on passing the tests you took not too long ago. Kudos to you!

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels