Sunday, October 28

I Prefer Joy to Happiness ...............................10/28/12

“Without pain, how could we know joy?' This is an old argument in the field of thinking about suffering and its stupidity and lack of sophistication could be plumbed for centuries but suffice it to say that the existence of broccoli does not, in any way, affect the taste of chocolate.” ― John GreenThe Fault in Our Stars
We Are Responsible for Our Feelings
 Happiness is Oversold

       I'm thankful for God's provision and his deep, committed love for me. Apart from Him, I can do nothing.  Because of my relationship with Him I have confidence in tomorrow and joy for each day.  
       Joy is way different from happiness. Happiness, for many, is
based upon external circumstances: having so much money, the right car, the relationship with the ideal person, the perfect job and/or home. Not so, for me.
       Joy, I learned can be had regardless of my circumstances.  It's attitudinal and depends upon where I place my focus. Joy is not in how much I have, but in how much I delight in what surrounds me.
      I've learned:
 "In whatever circumstances I am in, therewith to be content."   Paul's letter to the Philippians, chapter 4, sentence eleven.
  Prepositions are key.  I may not be happy for something, but in everything I am content.
“I don't think of all the misery, but of the beauty that still remains.”            ― Anne FrankThe Diary of a Young Girl
      I'm the average of the five people I hang out with.  I'm glad I no longer allow the disease of codependency control me. At one time, I was constrained by the need to make others happy.
      I now know that's not my job. I've learned that each person is responsible for their own happiness.  No one can make us happy, sad, glad, mad, or any other feeling, without us allowing them to do so. We are responsible for our feelings, they are our property.

2 comments:

Syd said...

Yes, we are the ones who determine how we feel. Good thoughts.

Pablo said...

Thanks Syd, I appreciate your comments. They cheer me on, as go about my innkeeper duties.

Thinking of you during this perilous time, while Hurricane Sandy batters your side of the continent.

Give your lovely dog a pat for me, please.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels