Monday, October 8

God Doing for Me What I Could Not Do For Myself

"God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that always having all
sufficiency in everything; you may have an abundance for every good deed"

Image: "Countryside: Sunlit Canal" by Tim Blessed. Copyrighted photo, all rights reserved. 
     Good evening all,

I want to get back to what transpired last Friday. Man,
was that some day.  It was a series of many, mini gifts and an enormous one that
were bestowed upon me, throughout the day.

      My life has been unmanageable lately.  Realizing that I'm powerless over my circumstances, and that I need God's help to make it through them was my only recourse.  Over the past three months I've had to "Let Go and Let God."

      On Friday, my car was out of action, parked in front of the auto shop. The problem was that the street cleaner was coming by that street, that morning, at 10:00 a.m.

      I couldn't take my car home, the parking area where I live was being worked on, and I couldn't park my car out on the street for other reasons. A friend, Marc, allowed me to take my car over to his place.  Fortunately, AAA roadside assistance took my car there.

     That morning, James, a friend of nine years, showed up.   He provided support and teamwork I desperately needed.

      We had a tremendous time of sharing. The auto shop owner, of his own accord, had a key to be made for my car.  I didn't have one---I lost my set of keys when I had an accident on my bike, a month-and-a-half ago. They spilled out from a pouch under the saddle.  I didn't realize this until the day after my mishap.

      I got the car battery charged---it was dead.  My car had not been driven in seven months, killing it.  This was done for free.  Can you believe that?

      While waiting for the battery to be recharged, I had breakfast with James, he treated me.  I was flabbergasted by all the unexpected gifts I received that morning.  A key made and transported to Alameda, for free. The battery fixed, no charge, breakfast provided and Marc providing a place to keep my car when I couldn't take it home.  And the best was yet to come.
     
       Earlier this summer, I was in negotiations for a position as the executive director of a social organization that's been serving the community for thirty-five years. I released many clients. My new job was going to take up my time. At the last moment, I was told they were having financial reversals and no longer could offer me the position, this after my letting go of most of my clients. Egads.

      This summer I scrambled to build up my client base, a tough thing to do within a few months.  Fortunately, I kept my calm. This past Friday, unexpectedly, someone offered me a large contract, leaving me with a deposit for future services.

     The transaction came at a critical time.  I didn't plan for it. I didn't cause this prosperity, I had no control over it. But, am I humbled.

     I love how God does for me what I could not have done for myself. I'm amazed how God had me do the footwork to distract me, while He was putting things in order. 

3 comments:

Carl H said...

Dear Innkeeper,

I love this story. It is a lesson for us all. When we release our concerns, issues and expectations into the more than capable and qualified Hands of God, often grace, calm and surprising abundance follows.

Thanks for reminding us all of this fundamental principle of life.

Today I am grateful for;

1. The small miracle of an unexpectedly good outcome with my sons court appearance today, in spite of some recent setbacks...Gods Grace.

2. Choosing to take care of my own needs in the eye of a potential domestic storm born of ongoing Father/Son challenges. By walking away from the impulse to fix, rescue, intervene, judge, scold, correct, and tend to a small, healing cut on my toe with bandaid and ointment, I found serenity again! Its the small stuff sometimes that gets us back on track, no?

3. Healing the body and soul by spending three rejuvenating hours at the gym, which would have appeared, or seemed selfish in days past.

4. Having my son remind me how to make a home-made ice cream sandwich out of chocolate chip or peanut butter cookies (or any kind you have around...) and ice cream! PS; We don't have to abandon summer and surrender to autumn until we are ready to! Dining on a home-made ice cream sandwich in shorts, sandals and a Hawaiian shirt will surely fend off the encroaching Ghouls of Halloween! Try it!

Pablo said...

Dear Covnitkepr1,

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay here, at the inn and are planning on returning again.

You have a lot of followers. I wish you a terrific second half to this week.

Thanks for dropping by and making the time to post your comments!

Pablo said...

Dear Carl,

Good to see you again. The abundance we receive when we have a relationship with God is amazingly rich.

I agree with you. Small moments and simple pleasures often outweigh attractive bigger materialistic or sensual baubles (including TV, ipods, texting or smart phones) that vie for our attention.

Kudos to you, for taking care of yourself! You are restoring the years the locust of codependency once ate, when you were a child and in your earlier years, as a parent.

It sounds like a vigorous bike ride may help you burn off your evening treat. :->

Thank you for keeping the innkeeper company during the midweek.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels