Wednesday, October 24

Can't Beat Days Like Today ...... 10/24/12

       Good evening,

I just got in. Tuesday was good, ethnically different, challenging, challenging (deliberate repetition), irritating, encouraging, full of intimacy and wonderful. 

       Other than that, not too much to say about the day. :->

       Well, let me try.

       I met with a new client this morning.  This was the first time where the entire session was in Spanish.  For those not in the know, even though my first name is Pablo, this lovely language was neither my first nor second language, but third, learned at the age of ten.  I was sent to another country, living with relatives who did not know a word of English.

        In my household, growing up, Spanish was never spoken.  I know, that's a shame.  Being an immigrant, my father enforced assimilation, not wanting us to have an accent.  This morning's session was an opportunity to embrace the culture of my ancestors. Hence, it was a welcomed change, good, different and challenging---stretching me professionally.  I like being stretched, maybe I'll grow taller, not that I'm short. 

        In the afternoon, one of my clients and I reviewed processing disappointment.  She's upset that those close to her are not responding to her needs. Her girlfriends, she believed, should know she's hurting, going through a difficult time.  We discussed that that perspective is a fallacy.  It's OUR job to let others know our needs.  People can't intuit what's going on within us. This was the second "challenging" part to the day. 

        I met with others this evening.  I was irked by someone who brought tortilla chips to the gathering and ate them, loudly.  I never realized chips could echo so loudly in a person's mouth.  I became temporarily deaf, unable to hear anyone's comments while the said eater chomped away.

       Okay, I'm exaggerating.  But, it sure seemed that way.  That's what irritated me Tuesday night. Being the gratitude guy, I saw this unpleasantness as an opportunity to practice patience and grace with this fellow.  I really didn't want to, but I did.  I guess I exercised forgiveness, too. 

       After my ears decompressed from the chomping, open-mouthed, eating assault, I shared with my evening friends how God is working in my life.  The past seven days have been wonderful, in spite of the burning sensation in my infected right leg: I've added six new clients during this time.  Golly. 

       After the time with friends was over, someone offered me a ride home.  I invited her to grab some coffee and we did. And how. 

       Our two hour conversation was effortless, fun, authentic, insightful, honest and uplifting. Can't beat that. Our time together was as I figure relationships were meant to be.  How could I not have an Attitude of Gratitude

       I'm tired and heading for bed.  For all who've commented recently, I'll reply tomorrow, after I get some shut eye. 

2 comments:

Carl H said...

Today I am grateful;

1. That my mentor has been helping me vastly expand my understanding and consciousness, on a very practical, everyday level, of what my higher power is or can be, these past many months.

2. That, ironically and in this context, a sports writer for the S.F. Chronicle, Bruce Jenkins, could sum up the magic and mystery surrounding the S.F. Giants blow-out of the storied Detroit Tigers in Game 1 of the World Series so beautifully when he said, "There's a higher power at work when Pablo Sandoval ties a World Series record with three home runs, Barry Zito (pitcher!) drills a run-scoring single off the game's best pitcher, and the third base bag plays a starring role!"

3. That I could watch the Giants win Game 2 (Go Giants!) with a dear, close friend, and that he survived my home-made quesadillas!

4. I could be chastened yesterday for a wrong done with more grace and benevolence than I've ever experienced before; a truth that needed to be spoken, yet was done without blame, shame, fear, guilt or judgement.

5. That as a sort of Bill Murray in "Lost in Translation" kind of person at work, I'm beginning to figure out (almost by accident...) how to do the job better, working smarter instead of harder.

6. That I can fly to Las Vegas early Saturday morning with friends to attend a Woman's Peace Conference.

Pablo said...

Hi there, Carl,

Is there any way you can be more specific? How has your mentor helped you better comprehend your Higher Power. You have my curiosity.

I've been enjoying the World Series, too. I'm an avid fan of the Giants.

It appears that you enjoyed last night. Your time cooking, spent with your friend and watching the game met your need for celebrating life, connection and companionship.

I agree with you. It' much better to be supportive, when correcting another. It sounds like that's what you experienced yesterday. Encouragement after correction is like the sun bursting through the clouds, after it has rained.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels