Saturday, October 6

Awareness and Studying Isn't Enough, If We Seek Healing, Sanity or Serenity ...................10/6/12

"Knowledge without action is insanity and
action without knowledge is vanity."
         Good morning

 I've been up since five a.m., this lovely morning. I've been writing, studying---two things I love doing.  And, how are you? Please check in.

        By now, you know that if you post, I reply.  I have answered every comment ever posted.   Let me know if I can improve your stay.

        I'm so grateful for recovery. Mine is from growing up in
a less-than-ideal home.  I've learned principles from a helpful organization (see footnotes 1 and 2.) that allows me to truly live life fully---even with joy---when in the midst of drama, severe challenge and
trial.

      This afternoon, I'm riding bikes with a woman I met at the workshops I attended last week.  In terms of cycling, I'll go easy on her.  The island where I live it is more than ideal for touring around on two wheels.  Our conversation, I look forward to.

      Yesterday, for the first time in SEVEN MONTHS, I drove my car.  My first trip since early March was a drive of four blocks, from where I repaired it, with James, to my home.  It runs well.  I still won't use it.  I want to see how long I can go without using it. My auto was last filled with gas in March. The tank is still full.

      The vehicle, I don't need. I'm getting physically fitter, sleeping and feeling better, because of my neglect of said car.  Connecting to this beautiful earth, wind and God's presence in ways I've never knew possible, is now my experience, because I'm cycling.

       As a former competitive runner of many decades, who can still run eight to ten miles (10-16 km) effortlessly, and farther, I've found I prefer cycling. It provides a less myopic view of the terrain, and I feel more connected with it.  It's smoother, less jarring than running. I'm not inclined to run for two hours or more. On my bike, it's an effortless and joyous event, putting in 2-3 hours on it.

     I'm traveling 600 to 650 miles a month, on my mountain bike, and it doesn't even have road tires. For those not in the know, that means I'm lugging around with tires that make me go slower than if I had skinny tires. When I see clients at an office in Castro Valley, I'll ride seventeen miles (27.4 km), one way.  Same thing, if I have an appointment in Richmond, 17 miles in the other direction.
Old picture of my bike.  It has been a great source for my sanity,
serenity and joy.
         I need to fix the flat tire in the newer, second and better bike I have, which I don't use. (I have it for those who would join me for a trek. I like my Specialized "Hard Rock" bike. I see no reason to try the newer and better bike)

God Role
In Us Having Sanity & Serenity

        The weather is lovely.  Better, is God.  His loving and gracious nature never changes.  Nope, never.  He is not a God who delights in making others miserable.  I don't know such a Supreme Being.

        God is good. Yesterday was stupendous---because of you.  I'm sure prayers you said on my behalf allowed Friday to be an amazingly excellent day. And how. Thank you, again.

        Seeing changes transpiring within me is encouraging.  It required discipline, not panicking when walking along the precipice of substantial disaster.  I kept my cool, this month.

        I thank God for training and experience that permits me to walk serenely, keeping my focus---to not think, and just do.  And no, I don't work for Nike.

        There's a dignity when I adhere to my values. (See the second half of this link.)  I believe we worship our mind, in Western Civilization. This is a horrible thing to do.  I would know.  I had a classical education (studying Classical Greek, Latin, philosophy) and went to an extraordinary university.  All it did was make me worse, to be honest.

        It only changed me from a mess to an informed mess.

       Characterological growth is not a result of epiphanies---learning more information, using our cerebral cortex alone.  For true, spiritual regeneration, action has to replace inadequate coping skills. We replace defeating, negative behaviors or thinking with better, healthier alternatives.

       Personal growth also requires being in our body, not just in our head. As a person who excelled in school, I know the tendency to think all we need to do is learn more, read more, maybe even self-help books. Nope, that doesn't work. We also need to develop our relationship with God. That's another story.

       One of the worst things, however, is going from awareness to action.  For more about this subject, please read here.

How About You? 
       One way you can pay for your stay at the inn is by piping up. This is Saturday. At the end of the week I like asking my guests to share the high point and low point for the week.
       What are yours? I look forward to hearing them. Doing this exercise is one way of inventorying your week. So, how did it go? 

8 comments:

Carl H said...

Dear Innkeeper,

Today I am grateful for;

1. Time with my #2 son Daniel, taking car of my mom; weekly grocery shopping for her, removing an old bed and catching up while driving to and from. I gave him some strong guidance which he received well, while learning of steps he is taking to reclaim his life and heal.

2. The initiative my #4 son, Anthony and friends are taking to source, cut, split, organize and stack lots of firewood for winter burning in our basement wood-burning stove.

3. A wonderful conversation and prayer with my mentor on the phone this morning.

4. The chance to share principles of healing and recovery with a chatty and needy, temporary house guest and friend of my wife from Poland. It was also nice to share them out-loud with her in earshot of my wife, who benefited from being reminded of them.

5. A humorous-to-me moment when my wife admitted getting a good personal dose of "you get what you tolerate," in how her patience is being sorely tested by this same house guest SHE INVITED!

6. Not having to shave on the weekend. You men out there will know what I mean!

7. A new culinary discovery, courtesy of one of my sons buddy's; Frozen Greek Yogurt! Superb and (relatively) good for you...right? It comes in several flavors and is a delight on a warm waffle!

8. And finally, that, still, twilight, buoyant dip i took in our very own saltwater swimming pool here at the Gratitude Inn, while listening to the autumn crickets chirping away in the woods nearby, and watching the moon rise on the horizon!

Pablo said...

Dear Carl,

Thanks for dropping by as consistently as you do, I enjoy the community we share when you do, along with your insights and humor, in addition to your love for music.

What principles do you use, when you find yourself needing to "give strong guidance"?

I'm happy hearing you are taking care of yourself, getting support from your mentor, spending time with him.

We want to be careful, I'd feel uncomfortable "preaching" to others who may be within earshot. I find it best sharing my experience, strength and hope, letting others take what they like and leaving the rest. I find I'm busy enough, taking care of my issues, the areas where I need to grow.

Regarding your guest, I'm in agreement with you: character discernment is critical when extending friendship towards others. At the initial stage I put my feelers out---seeing if there's a congruence between my values and our relationship. Those God gives me---we are able to relate with ease, there's little drama and we enjoy great times together, with authenticity, where vulnerability is safely shared with one another.

I'm very happy you like the pool of fellowship and dialogue that lays beside this inn. My hope is that others will enjoy swimming in it, as frequently as you.

A glad-to-have-you-as-a-guest innkeeper,

The Innkeeper

Carl H said...

Dear Pablo,

Thank you for your thoughtful response.

When giving strong guidance I need to remind myself to never use blame, shame, fear, guilt or judgement; the five forms of life alienating communication.

I agree with you re; "preaching." Here I need to remember to let it begin with me, take my own inventory, not someone else's, loving detachment, and that trying to "manage" others does not work.

I love that the buoyant, saltwater swimming pool at the Gratitude Inn is surrounded by old-growth Redwood trees, warmed by the Pacific Rim sun, and "always open!" (and that there are silver dollars to dive for on the bottom!)

Cheers,

Carl

Pablo said...

Dear Carl,

Thanks for getting back to this discussion. Whenever anyone posts, I reply---every time.

I'm in agreement with you. I find sharing my experience, strength and hope is best. Empathy is important,too, when connecting with another, especially in the areas where they are troubled.

I've learned that being controlling with another is futile and unsatisfying. I prefer honoring another person's autonomy and dignity. Knowing my limited perspective, who am I to say what's best for others and trying to control the outcome of their behavior?

I'm slipping on my swimming trunks: diving for silver dollars at the bottom of the pool has my interest.

Anonymous said...

My sis instructed me about your web site and the way great it is. She's right, I am actually impressed with the writing and slick design. It appears to me you're simply scratching the floor in terms of what you may accomplish, however you're off to an ideal begin!

Pablo said...

Anony,

Thanks for dropping by. Hope you have a great day!

Anonymous said...

You got a really useful blog. I have been here reading for about an hour. I am a newbie and your success is very much an inspiration for me.

Pablo said...

Dear Anony,

I'm glad you're enjoying your stay. I pulled your comment from the spam file---that's where I found it tucked away.

I appreciate your kind words. Wishing you a great and grateful rest of this week!

If possible, I'd love knowing your name; that way I can recognize you when you return. That's just a request.

Pablo

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels