Friday, October 12

Simple Pleasures., Part II Also, Healing Requires Time ..............................10/12/12

The beginning of Pagan's catch

   Good morning,

Thursday night, I got home at 6:30 p.m. and conked out.  I was tired, but it was a good exhaustion.  How are you? Thanks for dropping by.

      It's been gratifying, reading comments from new
guests to this inn. I look forward to hearing from the guests who hail from Russia. They are my second largest readership.  I'd love hearing their gratitudes.

The ball falling into his mitt, as he begins his slide
      Friday, I watched a morning playoff game of baseball, one of the benefits of owning my own business.  My team, the San Francisco Giants, performed splendidly, and how.  Pagan's sliding catch---depicted in this posting---scooping the ball as his glove scraped the ground,the shortstop Crawford's fully extended body, backhandedly spearing a line drive, saving potential runs from scoring and Romo's thrilling ending of the game as a relief pitcher was more than expected, not counting Posey's grand slam that slammed shut Cincinnati's efforts at winning.
Completing a beautiful play, exulting with a clenched fist

      I don't have a television, I haven't in ages. But, yesterday's game was a must-see event. Remember, I played baseball in little league as a youth, left and center field.

      I rode over to Bowser's Pizza on Park Street, in this lovely shoreline-ringed city of Alameda, that floats in the middle of the San Francisco Bay. I grabbed a table in front of the big screen and ordered a salad. Enjoying the event, community style, was a nice change. Patrons ate, transfixed to the game, but left, having to return to work.

      At 12:35 p.m. the tornado arrived.  It brought the students from Alameda High. It was fascinating, returning back in time to my days in high school.  The school was a block away.  Immersed with their youthful energy and observing the dynamics of this season of life was intriguing.  Overall, everyone was in a good mood.  No loners. Maybe, it's the pizza---which is pretty good at this place.

     Not one student used a smartphone. Miracles still happen. Being a writer, snippets of conversations that drift my way are always intriguing   It was disappointing hearing one wholesome looking, athletic fellow using distasteful words as casually as the word "the".

    Surprisingly, several students watched the game. And then, at 1:22 p.m., in a flash, they were gone.

     I loved the game. Better, I was happy with the victorious outcome----the Giants continue in their effort to reach the World Series. This, they've accomplished, against all odds, literally. They lost the first two games in a best-of-five games divisional championship.

     They had been one game away from bowing out, but they won the last three games in their opponent's ballpark, something that was never done before. No National League baseball team accomplished this in twenty-one tries.

    Towards the end of the game, one fit, athletic looking, head-shaven customer stood up, got behind his chair, holding it as he squatted behind it, peeking up at the game. He couldn't stand the tension.  Another young man, wearing a Giants cap, stood as the game drew towards a nail-biting close. Tension doesn't get to me, usually. That's the result of spending nine years working in a psychiatric hospital before starting my own practice.

    I told the employees of Bowser's that they could take a five minute break, to watch the final inning. They did, being fans of the orange and black (Halloween colored) team. Then it happened. The game was over. We won. Was I a grateful innkeeper.
My Gratitudes for Friday
 1.    I'm happy I'm enjoying life. Abundance is not in how much you have but in how much you enjoy.
2. I'm thankful for the abundance the fills my life with joy, fulfillment and hope.
3. I'm glad my life is moving forward. I'm overcoming challenges I faced the past few months. I like the growing clarity that's taking place in my life.
4. I'm grateful for simple pleasures, including watching baseball, flying kites and riding my bike, along with reading a good book in a cozy and tranquil room. I appreciate the joy that fills my life.
5. I visited a local library, studying about the healing power of redemptive time.  I reviewed why time needs to transpire before we experience healing in our lives. It is not to our advantage experiencing shortcuts as we journey towards healing and growth.  Time is a necessary process, as we experience wholeness.
6. I made time for me.  I give so much, as a member of the helping profession that I need to take care of myself. Rest and recreation is one way I did that today.
7. I relaxed Thursday night. I thought about cycling in the blustery weather and thought better about it---my leg continues to ooze and the pain of Monday's accident while on my bike is constant.
8. I went shopping in the evening, while at it, I bought adhesive patches for my right leg. It's much better when it's not sticking to my pant leg.  It's good to nurture myself. I'm the only one who can make my welfare my number one priority.
9.   I'll spend the day with my sons this Saturday.  I look forward to the fun we'll share. It's a joy being with them.
10. This evening,  I had a delightful conversation with the son who is having his birthday Saturday. I'm touched by the closeness and companionship we share.
11. I got two new clients whom I'll see on Sunday, my business is growing, that's a good thing.

2 comments:

Don G said...

There is a joy to life that comes from living, and then there is the joy that comes from knowing God. The first has its ups and downs. The second only grows as we experience the infiniteness of God and grow in it.

Thanks for your thoughts, and thanks for stopping by my plae. God bless.

Pablo said...

Hello Don,

There's also a joy in delighting in life and relating with a loving God.

I'm in agreement with you; life can have it's ups and downs. I've also found that many of them are self-created, by the thoughts we entertain and our inability to know how to overcome the emotional shadows and dark thoughts that can confront us.

Unfortunately, many who know God still struggle, inwardly. I know this from counseling many who attend church and profess faith.

There is an answer,however. Attitude is key. Those curious might want to take a look at my post, "The Vision of this Inn," found in the right sidebar.

Happiness, for many, will not happen overnight. Past scars and coping methods that have lost their proportion or effectiveness must be replaced by newer and healthier behavior.

Relationally, we may be justified, because what Christ did for us, but in practical terms, often there are areas that need addressing. (Hebrews 12)

Thanks for dropping by!

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels