Thursday, May 17

Silencing Critical Dragons: Being Gentle Towards Self ..............................5/17/12

"If you use disappointments as sort of mid-semester exams, for learning, you will
 learn that every disappointment you overcome makes you stronger, and wiser."
And you will learn the value of taking care of yourself by being gentle and loving
towards yourself as you go through processing the difficult time, I might add. 
      Good evening,

Did you miss me? I was gone for
a day from the inn. I did not post Wednesday at my usual time.  That day, I rode twenty-two miles on my bicycle, enjoying every second of it.

     It took me one hour and forty minutes.  A little more than thirteen miles per hour, not entirely on asphalt roads, mind you. The wind blew straight into my face for nine miles of my journey.

     But it was good, invigorating, slow-down-the-pace-of-your-life gusts of wind. Exerting myself while being a kite to the 15 mile per hour winds are becoming a spiritual practice. I open myself, allowing the wind to blow through me, clearing out my stress and worries.

     I cut the ride short because I had an impromptu, unscheduled appointment with a client, then met with someone I sponsor, joined friends in the evening and later hung out with five people at a restaurant until 11: 15 p.m.

     Once home, I rested on my bed, "just for a moment," I said. Before I knew it, at 5:30 a.m. this morning, I awoke; my laptop snuggling next to me, keeping me warm.  :)  (Hey, at least, it and I won't get a divorce.)

     Good for me, I yielded to my body's exhaustion, though not consciously.  Exercising is tuckering me out. But that's okay. I'm getting fitter and it's a great antidote for stress.

     Tomorrow, I hope to ride twenty-five to thirty miles. Today, I rode ten. You know, this biking thing is almost getting addictive.
My Gratitudes for Thursday:
1. I appreciate guests dropping by. I'm especially thankful for those who kept the doors to this inn open with your comments, today, while the innkeeper played hooky.
I'm Becoming Like the Jolly Green Giant
I'm Getting Green
       I've started going grocery shopping, using my bike. It's a bit of a challenge since I don't have a basket on my bike and I don't use a backpack. I'm able to carry two bags of food at a time. I've only dropped a carton of eggs once, the first time I tried this adventure. (Nope, they didn't break, lucky me.)
Had An Accident of the Food Kind
      Coming home from the store today, one bag tore, spilling its contents, on Otis Street, a major thoroughfare in Alameda.  I took a breath, locked my bike to a signal light post, walked back a couple blocks back to the store, carrying the two heavy bags full of groceries. I triple-bagged my food, walked back to my bike and was on my way home again.
Being Gentle Towards Myself
      There was no need to mutter about the incident. There was no need to be critical towards myself.  There were no, "how could you be so careless, stupid, or....(you condemningly fill in the blank)???!!!" comments. The spillage had nothing to do with any of those factors.

       I'm happy seeing the automatic gentleness and kindness I have towards myself when this accident occurred.

       Life happens.

Silence of the Critical Dragons
       What my response to today's mishap really told me is that I'm freed from the critical voices that once filled my head. I saw the incident as an opportunity to practice patience. It was a learning opportunity: I'm getting "bike smart."  My life is transforming in good ways. As always, there will be a learning curve when we take on something new.

       I'm becoming more green and I'm getting a workout, to boot. The supermarket is 1.4 miles away. The distances aren't too far as I live on a 3 mile by 6 mile island. (I'm only one mile from the shore.)

2.  I'm thankful for patience towards myself, the silencing of the critical, blaming dragons that live within me and having a happier outlook on life, especially when things turn out wrong.

***********************
3.  I had a delightful conversation on the phone with a friend tonight. I cooked dinner and did the dishes at the same time. I enjoy effectiveness, efficiency, fellowship, connecting with loved ones and nurturing myself. (See how easy it is to find gratitudes?)
4. I'm thrilled that my day has opened up for Friday. I'll pursue business connections, exercising discipline that I don't want to exercise---I'll place principles above the vulnerable parts of my personality, before I go on my long bicycle ride.
5.  I visited with my oldest son this evening. We will play miniature golf next week. Afterwards we'll head over to one of our favorite ice cream parlors, just up the street.  We also made plans to ride bikes together. I'm fixing a flat tire on his bicycle, first. It will  give me practice---I never know when I might need to fix a flat on my bike.
Okay, How About You? 
1. In what way are you seeing that you are more patient and gentle towards yourself? What dragons are being silenced in your life?
2. What learning curve are you on? I mentioned mine above.
3. Since it will be Friday when you read this, what was your low point for this week? And your high point?  My low point, making phone calls I didn't want to make, to build up my business. My high point: making those calls: I transcended my objections and exercised discipline. I had a second high point: my oldest son and I made a date.
        I will reply to all who've commented recently, Friday morning, Left Coast time.

10 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Wow 22 miles on the bike! That's awesome Pablo!

As far as low point/high point for the week:

Low point: excessive feelings of guilt for something that happened in the past. I need to work on this but I am not sure how

High Point: my new roommate moving in! I am excited to have a roommate and soe company.

Pablo said...

Thanks, Keith.

I hope to ride 25 or thirty miles, later today. But first, work to do.

Ah, are you feeling disappointed because of this past deed? I've found that it helps, when I'm making amends, to put myself on top of the list.

I can be harsh towards myself, when I don't live up to my standards and I'm not working on my own recovery/personal growth.

One of my favorite quotes that I use in this inn:

"Condemning my imperfections has never enhanced my appreciation of life nor has it helped me to love myself more."

You may have inspired me to write a post on this subject of relieving ourselves from guilt.

You might want to take a look at my post, "Getting Through the Day."
Here's the link, you'll have to cut and paste it. (I don't know how to create hyperlinks in this comments section. Can a reader help me with this?)

http://theattitudeofgratitudeinn.blogspot.com/2012/04/brb_28.html

Thanks Keith, for your attitude of gratitude. You encourage many by your example, including this innkeeper.

Wow. That's a big transition: getting a roommate. I hope your cat likes this person too. :)

Have a great weekend!

Kelly said...

I like it when your sense of humor peeks out. :)

I don't know about the other questions, but my high was definitely today...sitting with a puppy and just feeling her pure energy soaking into me.

My low was definitely taking a step towards bad, old habits again. Yuck.

Cary said...

Pablo 22 miles is so great! you should invest in a basket though...lol

Vanessa Higgins said...

Great story about the bike incident. I like that you view it as a trial in learning self-kindness. That is beautiful.

Low point - OOOh there were many on this trying week. Probably becoming so panicked that I could not meditate. Simply rocked back and forth, asking God for help. Or maybe crying in a couple meetings - and I don't cry!

High point - Having my thesis supervisor walk me through some stats exercises on skype. I am lucky to have some help. Oh, and DANCING! I opened up my heart chakra with a group of amazing people….bless.

Pablo said...

Kelly,

Good to see you back. I like it when my humor peeks out, too. It means I'm in a happy space. My humor can be bizarre. Probably from reading Mad Magazine for more than 20 years. :)

I think part of your learning curve is that you are reaching out. You are connecting with others. You are taking steps, trying to stay in the solution. That's a very good thing.

And you are replying. ;)

I wrote a post about being attracted to unhealthy others. I believe it may help you. Here it is, please let me know what you think by commenting beneath it.

http://theattitudeofgratitudeinn.blogspot.com/2012/03/freedom-from-narcissists-growing.html

You'll have to cut and paste this link.

(For the rest of you reading this comment, you might be able to relate with this post if you have a difficult other in your life, be it a boss, boyfriend, neighbor, relative or loved one.)

Kelly, keep it up, you are making great strides! I like it when you post comments here.

The Innkeeper

Pablo said...

Hey, Cary

Great hearing from you! I like your new profile pic. I need to invest in panniers or bigger hands. :)

The first word is the fancy word for saddle bags designed for bikes. I felt like being fancy---I'm getting acquainted with bicycle terminology, now that I'm becoming a cyclist.

Yesterday, I rode thirty-one miles. A first for me. I may post about lessons learned from that experience. It was a good, revealing and inspiring time.

How are you, my dear?? I know you had a rough experience with your house. Are things moving along, for the better? You've my prayers.

Thanks for dropping by. I enjoy hearing from you.

Pablo said...

Vanessa,

I so love your transparency and authenticity! I haven't peeked at my e-mail yet. Hope to hear from someone soon.

Learning to be gentle towards myself has been one of the big lessons in my life, all for the better. Everything that happens to me, be it good or bad, is a lesson---I'll interject, a good one, an encouraging one---if I only open up the eyes to my heart.

This realization in itself allows me to widen my heart with joyful, anticipating-with-hope, expectancy.

It is a major cause for this innkeeper being happy, joyous and free.

Regarding your week: wow. You know you have my support. I'm enjoying getting to know you. You are a beautiful person.

Really.

I love how the blogosphere allows me to meet others, that I otherwise would be that much poorer, for not knowing.

You have my prayers. Really.

I took statistics for two years, as an undergrad. My friends and I would call it sadistics. ;) The funny thing is that, from a management point of view, it has almost helped me more than any other subject, for analysis, that is.

Glad you take the time to invest in yourself by dancing. What a fantastic way to nurture yourself! I love dancing.

Thank you for brightening this inn with your presence. This weekend is going to be a good one for you.

The Innkeeper

P.S. Let me know if you need a softer pillow. :)

Kelly said...

Thanks, I will check out that post.

Pablo said...

Kelly,

Good deal. I also wrote something for you at your place.

It's terrific that you are connecting with others, dialoging with the family of friends you have met here, online, in the blogosphere!

I'm curious as to your response to the readings. One word of caution: our cognitive mind has nothing to do with healing our emotions. Nope, it doesn't.

We can talk more about that, later.

Wishing you a good week,

The Innkeeper

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels