Wednesday, May 23

Kindness Pays ...............................5/23/12

“People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway. 
If you are honest, people may cheat you. Be honest anyway.
If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway.
The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have and it may
 never be enough. Give your best anyway. 

For you see, in the end, it is between you and God.
It was never between you and them anyway.”
Mother Theresa
      Good evening,

How was your day?  I'm weary. A busy day was had. I had someone negotiating with me over five cents.  Can you believe that?  "I'm a businessman and
I want to charge you for having this inventory available for you..........."  Was that strange and sad. I didn't take it personally.

       I realized what I was up against.  My tranquility was more important than five cents. I passed on the transaction.  Working with people who are kind, pleasant and reasonable is my preference.

****************************

       Okay, I've been dragging my feet on the next issue. I'll spit it out tonight. For the longest time, I didn't tell people when it was my birthday. Well, it is the 28th, next Monday.

      I decided to celebrate it with friends this Saturday as Monday will be Memorial Day.  Also, it's easier for family and friends to gather on a weekend, not a day where they have to work the next day. Plus, it gives me the option to listen to Eric Shifrin play jazz at the Fairmont Hotel, in San Francisco with them.

      I'm not entirely sure why I used to be so secretive about my birthday. I believe I thought it was modesty, I didn't want to call attention to myself. That my friends should know and if they wanted to celebrate it, it was up to them.

      Now, I let my friends know. So I guess, I consider the guests of this inn as my friends, too.

*********************

         I worked today. Afterwards, at 6:30 p.m.,  I met with someone I mentor. The session as usual was intense, because I guess I am. I don't mean it to be. I'm just passionate about the material we cover.  In today's case it was about expressing our voice, our opinion, the things that bug us. But we went over how we can do so with kindness and courtesy.

        Our tendency to want to control outcomes and fathering was investigated.  I like the guy I'm mentoring.  He took plenty of notes as we hung out at the Blue Danube cafe and talked.  I had grape Italian soda, he had a big, almost bowl-size mug of Joe.

        From there I rushed to a meeting. The subject was listening to the voice of the minority opinion. I piped up.  I shared how encouraged I was as a young adult when I started expressing my voice.

       While in high school, as the leader of a large youth organization, and by participating in school government, I had opportunities. They developed the confidence I have in expressing myself before others.

       Since then, doing community service for decades has shown me the value of hearing everyone, when making decisions. This has helped me be a better father.  I seek out the opinion of my three sons. Their opinions, I value, especially when it involves decisions affecting the family.
My Gratitudes for Wednesday: 
1. I'm thankful for being true to my desires, wishes, dreams and choices.  Because of the clarity as to what I believe, I did not accept unacceptable behavior from others  who want to argue over five cents. Yep, five cents.
2. I'm happy that my emotions don't get easily triggered.  I have serenity despite my circumstances.  Happiness is not in how much I have but in how much I enjoy.  I may not be able to control my circumstances, but I do have control over how I choose to respond to them.
3. I'm grateful that I've learned that it's not my responsibility to please unpleasant people. (I'm thinking about the "five cent" guy, again.)
Kindness Pays
       Yesterday, after riding my bike for twenty miles, I went to have a pair of sunglasses fixed. Riding my bike without them is difficult; squinting when facing the sun is no fun. I asked the owner of the optical store to charge me whatever the repair would cost.  Because I didn't buy them at his store, there would be a fee, he said.
       While working on the spectacles, we ended up talking about our experiences as kids playing organized baseball. We were from the same hometown, Stockton, CA.
       When he was done, he said, "here they are, no charge."  Kindness still pays.  I know it was a small gesture on his part, but I don't take it for granted.  He and I, total strangers, shared community while he worked on my glasses for nearly thirty minutes.
How About You?
What three gratitudes do you have for today?

6 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

3 gratitudes for today:

1. I get to visit my family back home this weekend (I leave tonight after work since I am off tomorrow)

2. My new roommate is wonderful and we get along great!

3. A random stranger bought me a soda yesterday out of the soda maching that I was standing in line at.

aileen said...

My 3 gratitudes for today 5.24.12, Thurs.

1. very appreciative of my ex roomie who stops by at least 5 days a week so I have some kind of interaction as I tend to isolate and for my long time female friend who always reminds me that she loves me, that I am of value, that I am a gift yet untapped and that I am not alone in the challenge of finding meaning and happiness in this life .

2. for the vast informational resource that the internet is.

3. for deepening my journey inward to discover who the Creator in fact created, to discover talents as yet untapped and hopefully that will aid me in generating income for a resonably comfortable life. I've lived on the edge toooo long and time is running down for me to get squared away for my fragile old age assuming I will meet or exceed the mid 80s mark of my female blood line.

and bonus for today: i am being treated to a musical event w/a ticket price of $85 - for lawn seating!!

Pablo said...

Keith,

I so appreciate your support. Thanks for dropping by regularly. :)

I know you'll have a great time with your family. You'll be with your best friend, your sister.

Keith, that was actually me who bought the soda for you. I wanted to see if you would recognize me. (Just kidding.)

Have a great weekend!

Pablo said...

Good afternoon, Aileen.

What a blessing you have to know such a friend. What would we do without the affirming love of others?

I have the feeling that this year will be the best one yet, for you. If you continue on your personal recovery. Placing principles above our personality and applying healthy behaviors in lieu of self-defeating habits, with time, creates growth that exceeds our expectations.

When we have a supportive team of friends,a mentor and work on our personal growth, life becomes more than manageable--it becomes rich. We experience serenity and a peace that transcends our circumstances.

You have me rooting in your corner. Wishing you a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Happy late birthday my friend! I hope you had the time of your life! I always thought birthday as the most important celebration and i always tried to treat the person who's celebrating as a king (or queen) because that's how that person should feel on the anniversary of the day they were born!
Even the gesture was small in your story, it proved that kindness really pays! It is so nice to know that!

Gratitudes
1. Having my lovely and unique sister without whom i wouldn't be the person i am now.
2. The existence of AWESOME music!
3. I am grateful about how beautiful stories always find their way to me and make me happy.

Pablo said...

Nalia,

Great seeing you. It's wonderful having you drop by. I like your attitude about birthdays.

Yes, Nalia. I believe that who we are is not revealed some much in the overt things we say and do.

Our growth, or our lack of it, is reflected in every breath we take, in how we look at others, in how we hold our stomach or shoulders---in how we carry ourselves, even in how we sit when we are still.

When we are filled with God's love, it's easy being a clay jar, pouring out His kind, loving, Presence, when with others. This is true even when getting a pair of sunglasses fixed.

Thank you so much for sharing three gratitudes. Wow!! I'm very happy when that happens in the inn---it's fulfilling my vision for this place.

You must have a tremendous sister. You are very lucky. I wish I had a sister like yours. She must be great.

I'm in agreement with you: music is a gift from heaven. Did you know I'm a muscian and singer?

You know what is nice? Each of us are beautiful stories. All we have to do is allow God's love to flow through us.

Wishing you fantastic success with your studies,

The Innkeeper

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels