Friday, May 4

The Joy of Giving ................................5/4/12

  A Special Time
       I met with someone I mentor today, in addition to my regular work schedule.  The time with the person was
intense, but good. I even cried. But, they were good tears. Boy, do I get tired when that happens. But, it's a good tiredness.

       Time flew by, the one and a half hours became two, in the blink of an eye. It is a privilege to take part in another person's journey towards healing, wholeness and growth in their own power.

      There's an old passage that says, "Cast your bread upon the waters, and in many days it shall return to you." Well, that's been my experience with this person I'm coaching and supporting.
      This weekend came quickly. I'm facing pressures. I could use extra time. What's reassuring is that I know I have enough time, that my life is unfolding exactly as it should.  All I need to do is BREATHE. (Did you know that when you breathe deeply, it slows down your heart, that it relaxes you? Pause for a moment, and take a deep breath. I'll wait. ........................... Now, wasn't that good?)
***********************************
      Later, in the evening, I rode my bike. Ya ay!  I contributed towards my welfare. I moved at a fast clip, 18 mph, into the wind.

      Going west, skimming the shoreline on two wheels, I sped by the Grand Marina, the Alameda Yacht Club, the Encinal Marina and the Oakland Yacht Club (which is in Alameda), enjoying being near the water and viewing the berthed boats when...............my seat came loose!  I no longer could sit on my saddle. (That's what cyclists call their seats---I'm learning these things, as I've been doing a lot of riding----400 miles in the past 25 days.)

      I screeched to a slow pace and gingerly strolled home. I returned at a speed more leisurely than I wanted. I had no choice. I was five miles into my ride when my seat came apart.

     With screwdrivers, allen wrenches and patience, I fixed the seat. Bundled in layers of clothing, off I went into the darkened, windy, streets of the island city of Alameda. Finally, my bike, after more than two weeks----feels better, when I ride it.

      Sometimes the shortest way to do something is the long way.  And so it was.  I had to release the clamps to my seat, rotate my seat/saddle 180 degrees and drop the height. Voila. I was a happy bike riding innkeeper!  It doesn't take much for me to be content. Happiness is not in how much we have, but in how much we enjoy.

      This evening, riding 16 miles---eleven with a restored seat---was heaven. The streets were all mine.  The shoreline was mostly mine too, shared only with three runners. The calm lapping of the nocturnal waves, the lit skyline of San Francisco, and the comfortable claustrophobia of limited vision, due to riding in the night with a small headlight, made a perfect conclusion for an emotionally exhausting day.  Oneness with nature is a phenomenal antidote to the stresses of urban living.
My Gratitudes? 
1. Seeing the person I mentor grow before my eyes, in the space of three months, has been nothing short of remarkable.
2. I love in-depth conversations. I've been enjoying plenty of them, lately.
3. I'm happy with the confidence I enjoy as I feel more comfortable with my likes, dislikes, dreams and choices.
4. I'm thankful for my connection with a Power greater than myself that loves me with a depth never  imagined in my wildest dreams.
5. I'm happy with progress I'm making with two books. I'm working with two different editors. One is a substantive editor and the other is the copy editor. On top of that I'm working with an illustrator for the book covers.
6. I look forward to the ongoing growth of my practice.  New clients are being added.  I'm thankful for testimonials from people satisfied with my work.
7. I'm thrilled that the tendons in my left, dominant leg are not sore after riding my bike----the first time in weeks! (I'm left-handed and left-legged.)
8. I enjoy getting to know you who drop by and comment on a regular basis. Thank you! (Yes, you.)
9. I was able to pray with a friend today. It was a special, precious, intimate time that I will forever cherish.
10. Today, I exercised several spiritual disciplines: study, silence, solitude, prayer, meditation, praise and worship. They take me to beatific places that can be reached in no other way.
11. I look forward to meeting with friends tomorrow morning.
12. For the past three months, one-third of my readership has been from Russia. I appreciate you dropping by. I'd love hearing your gratitudes. Give it a try. You'll be glad you did.
*********************************
How About You? 
1. What was your low point for this week?  Mine was relating with a pouty older woman (click here for more about this) who held a grudge because I did not allow her to dominate me three months ago.
2. What was your high point for this week?  I spent time with each of my sons. I look forward to us having a game night, soon.
3. What does "casting your bread upon the waters" mean for you? (If you want, I can tell you the origins of this statement. Let me hear from you, if you are interested.)
4. What gratitudes do you have for today?
    A Happy Innkeeper

8 comments:

Vanessa Higgins said...

Low point - Experiencing panic on my first week back to work. Luckily I locked my door and meditated until I felt I could face my tasks.

High point - Handing in my thesis to my supervisor. Three years of creation are finally being birthed!!

Casting my bread means to me throwing out my dreams to become a teacher, a speaker, and a counsellor who inspires others with hopes that this one day manifests itself in ways that serve me best :)

Pablo said...

Vanessa,

Thank you for sharing. In an earlier comment you wrote this week,here,I was concerned. Today, I understand the basis for it.

Remember, you aren't alone. I and others, including Keith, are here for you.

I enjoy your authenticity and your presence at the inn. You make this place better. I appreciate what you add.

Kudos to you. You did it. You got your paper in! I hope you take a look at past replies I written to your comments. I'd value your response to them. You can also send me an e-mail.

Your response to the "casting your bread" image helps me see we have much in common. :)

Wishing you a fantastic, grateful Saturday!

The Innkeeper

Kelly said...

Low point(s)- being unable to get rid of the fleas that my cats have brought home and having my car overheat for the umpteenth time, leaving it parked at my parents'.

High point- finishing the semester with most of my hair intact.

I don't really know what that quote means to me. Maybe just that if you share something with others, it will eventually return (something being anything with which you are blessed- including a good attitude).

Gratitudes-

1. I'm grateful that Myles' fever has gone away (he was at 101.9 yesterday).

2. I'm grateful that I was here to console him when he was sick and uncomfortable and sad and in pain.

3. I'm grateful that my car made it through the semester. Now, I really have no place to go.


Your stories about bike riding are so peaceful for me to hear. Even with the minor repairs. When Myles was little, we used to ride for about an hour and a half every day. It was so freeing. Now I need to get him proficient with his own bike so we can start again.

Pablo said...

Kelly,

Good to see you back. You've always been welcome. I'm going to post something, maybe tonight, that I think you may especially like.

Yep, the subject will be gratitude. I hope it resonates with you. Congratulations with your studies. It seems that you have quite the positive reputation with your professors----I'm not surprised. :)

May God help you with your positivity and your focus, when you are challenged.

I enjoy having guests like you drop by, those who've been with me from the beginnings of this inn.
******************

So, I can infer that you are neither bald nor sporting a Mohawk. Whew!

Fleas are a bummer. I remember those days. I know cars can be a pain. I'm happy that I'm getting around, a lot, using my bike, or walking.

Thanks for your stab at the quote. It actually has a historical context. I may mention it in a future post.

I'm happy to hear Myles is on the mend. Nothing compares to the care of a mom. I'm sure you felt good, comforting the little man. :)

I bet he was glad you were there for him.
*************

Thanks for your feedback regarding my bike rides. I wasn't sure what the guests thought of them. I hope they encourage others to consider exercising and allocating time for themselves. Although I'm alert when I ride, biking is also daydreamy---I'm in a reverie as I travel the shores of Alameda Island.

I really hope you will be able to connect with Myles, through bicycling. I'm sure he'd treasure the special moments shared with his mom.

Thanks for dropping by, for sharing your three gratitudes---you are very consistent about this---your highs and lows and for checking in with the innkeeper.

I wish you a fantastic Sunday and an even better new week! I appreciate you making this day better, because of your presence.

Anonymous said...

Low point- panic about health problems of a close person

High point- making an amazing presentation of my assignment

Pablo i just found time to visit your blog and i have to congratulate you for the positive energy!

I really enjoyed your stories about bike riding! I love bikes and i have to say that bike riding will always make me feel happy and free..

Keep up the positive thinking and have a great day!

Pablo said...

Nalia,

Good to see you! I'm happy for the success of your presentation. You must have been overjoyed with your effectiveness. What was it about, can you say?

Thank you, for your kind words!

You would have loved riding along, tonight. The water lapping against the shore calmed me as I rolled along the coast.

The beam streaming from the full moon upon the bay followed me as I cycled the southern edge of the island. Seeing it framed by the trees in the park and the clouds of the sky stilled my heart, filling it with thanks.

I wondered what secrets between lovers were whispered as I rode past benches facing the bay, occupied by couples.

As I moved along the quiet streets, the wind roared in my ears---ever reminding me of its presence, in the midst of my otherwise solitary ride.

Wishing you a terrific new week!

Anonymous said...

Pablo,
Great hearing from you so soon! Yes of course i can say! My assignment was about Oscar Wilde and his theatrical play Salome! An exquisite work.. I enjoyed it more than i expected!
What a poetic description of your walk! I felt like i was a part of it! I loved it!
Good night my friend! (it's night here anyway)

Pablo said...

Nalia,

Thanks for answering. Oscar W. was a witty man with words.

What was the best part about your presentation, what came alive within you, when you gave it? Did you enjoy his thoughts, or was it the way he verbally expressed himself?

I'm glad you like the way I write. It makes what I do here worthwhile.

Have you ever been to the U.S.?

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels