Sunday, October 21

Futility: Worshipping the Mind, But a Great Day Was Had, Nonetheless ........................10/21/12


       Today, I rested, celebrated and had fun.

       Yesterday was something else. I went to bed at 2:00 a.m., Saturday morning, awoke at 5:30 a.m. and spoke
before an audience three times; the final time involved moderating a workshop in the evening for three hours, while seated, thank God.  I didn't get home until 9:30 p.m. What a day, but a good one.

       I'm very happy greeting new guests to this inn. Thanks for dropping by. This inn is here to serve you.  My hope is that this place encourages every guest to develop the habit of exercising our gratitude muscles.

       I'm glad those dropping by enjoy their stay.  Let me know if you need extra blankets or anything ironed overnight.

****************

       My time at yesterday's peace forum was fun.  That doesn't mean it was all good, although there were portions that were wonderful.  I heard many words, many of them springing from the head only. Too bad.

Laying Prostrate Before The Cerebral Cortex
      The event amazed me: being a counselor and writer, noticing small details is what I do.  I took in many of them.  It's easy worshipping the mind.  Our academic system advocates that.  Culturally we are coerced into absorbing this mentality. No surprise, there.

       I don't venerate the mind.  Rationality doesn't heal damaged emotions. Many use analysis, in vain, to control the uncontrollable and understand that which is incomprehensible.  Its power is limited. Our mind alone, lacks the emotional and psychological distance needed for healing, be it spiritual, mental or emotional.

       This is an opinion formed after being fully immersed with academia, having studied philosophy, Latin, Greek, the humanities, including classical literature.  We need more than our minds, to comprehend life's mysteries and challenges. We get our healing through relationship with healthy others.

       I believe we are primarily spiritual. Yesterday, I heard calls for action.  I disagreed with the point of view expressed.  Action alone will do nothing.  True transformation occurs when there's an inward, spiritual change within individuals, first.

     There wasn't much inspiration derived by the keynote speakers. Cleverness with words is a poor substitute for the dynamism that sparks from a life on fire with God-breathed inspiration, powered by a connection with God.
"17  This I say, therefore, and testify, that you should no longer walk as the rest of the Gentiles walk, in the futility of their mind, 18  having their understanding darkened [not everything can be grasped, using reason alone], being alienated from the life of God [unable to comprehend or grasp the fullness of life], because of the ignorance that is in them [a result of only using a small part of who we are---our minds only, because of the blindness of their heart [due to only having a mind-oriented, perspective]...." Paul's letter to the Ephesians, chapter two. 
     On the other hand, at the peace forum I saw many attendees desiring spiritual growth, seeking improvement in their relationships with others. Many attended the workshop on nonviolent communication (NVC). The questions they asked revealed a deep hunger for personal growth.

     At the end of the forum, recalling the buzz in the workshop room---feeling the energy---when the participants practiced the NVC skills they just learned, with the person sitting next to them, I was deeply satisfied.

*******************

     The enthusiasm in the room, during the workshop, was tremendous.  The class was receptive, furiously taking notes as I taught.  A dry erase board and markers were all I needed to do what I love: teach.  I was off in another world, once the class started.

     Interestingly, five clients of mine attended.  It was intriguing seeing them in a different context. I get turbo-charged when I instruct, fortunately it's all for the good.

     We used NVC to deal with the different scenarios presented: drunk girlfriends, disrespectful sons, controlling mothers and demanding bosses.

     The audience learned about the five forms of life alienating communication: blame, shame, fear, guilt and judgment, and how to avoid using these tragic ways of expressing our needs. They are tragic because they incite others to get angry, freeze or withdraw from us, when we use them.

      I mentioned that ALL negative feelings are a result of experiencing an unmet need, that it's important  for us to inventory the needs that are not being met, when we are upset. I reviewed how NVC enables us to make requests---to meet these needs.

     The attendees were given a list of needs and feelings.  The lists helped those in the workshop to identify what is alive within them, the needs lacking when feeling negative feelings.

      The workshop was fun.  It sped by quickly. Many showed up fifteen minutes early; they received additional instruction. Most stayed fifteen minutes after our allotted time, allowing them to learn more principles for healthy, dynamic relationships.  Everyone attending got the Attitude of Gratitude Inn experience----Live!!

      Afterwards, several approached, wanting to make an appointment. People are hungry, desiring the freedom, serenity and joy gotten when living by healthy principles. Many want to overcome areas that make them frightened and insecure.

      I may embed in this inn some of what I taught.  My assistant during the workshop videotaped while I spoke.  My business advisors instructed me that my talks need to be recorded. They informed me that people miss much of my personality, if they only read what I write.
 
      I've been a public speaker/teacher for decades; writing, I've been doing only for a few years. It's an entirely different animal. We'll see how it works when I embed parts of yesterday's workshop in the rooms of this inn. Stay tuned, perhaps a TV will be installed, featuring some of what I teach.
Gratitudes for Sunday: 
1. I enjoyed my time yesterday, at the peace forum.
2. I was happy to see many hungry for personal growth.
3. I liked the conversation I had with another presenter. We sat near one another, during the luncheon.
4. I like using my gifts.  I feel like how a violin feels when it is played by someone who has practiced for thousands of hours---if a violin had feelings.
5. I'm glad I'm not connecting with people who would drag me down. I'm thankful that if a relationship is not working out, I move on.
6. I was glad others appreciated learning about the antidote to insecurity and needing acceptance from others: how to become internally referented. You can read several links about this important subject, that contributes towards our sanity and happiness here.
7. I look forward to being the keynote speaker next month for this same organization that produced Saturday's forum on peace.
8. I'm thrilled that my baseball team, the San Francisco Giants, have been tenacious.
     They were down three losses to one win, in the best of seven National League championship series. With their backs to the wall, they won the last three, each a must-win or go home game. The team will play the decisive game tomorrow.  If they win, they go to the World Series.
      Can't beat that stakes. My plans for tomorrow evening, I'm cancelling. This is a must-watch event; I know my priorities.
9. I'm thankful for antibiotics. Soon enough, my leg will no longer ache throughout the day.
10. I'm grateful for each of you who drop by, read and comment. I value the community you create when you do.
11. I'm happy about getting to know someone better in the upcoming weeks. This person has a mega-watt smile.
12. I had a wonderful, insightful dialog with a charming person, while at the forum.
    I enjoyed her perspective and the fun we had talking about English literature.  We spoke during the breakfast they had for those who presented yesterday. We discovered we went to the same two schools for undergraduate and graduate studies.
13. I enjoyed moderating a panel discussion for three hours, in the evening, Saturday.  I used skills practiced when I ran business meetings as a director of several businesses.
14. I look forward to riding my bike in the late morning, tomorrow.  No can do. It's raining heavily. I'll work out on my gym, instead.

4 comments:

Carl H said...

Dear Innkeeper,

WOW, what a rich and prolific posting of your Saturday adventures! Most inspiring and intriguing!

My Sunday Gratitudes, though its actually 12:30 AM, Monday morning are;

1. That, Lo & Behold, the seven-day prayer my wife and I have been doing for the emotional healing of our third son bore fruit tonight. He unexpectedly opened up and spoke his truth, much of which we had to agree with. Through this we could all come to terms with where we are, and where we want to go in our relationships.

2. That I could catch the last 4 or 5 innings and that the Giant's won tonight and go to game 7 tomorrow!

3. That my wife and I came home at 6PM from a very long tiring day of travel with friends, to a gourmet salad and baked chicken and rice dinner prepared by our #4 son.

4. That my wife could give me a long-overdue, homemade haircut and "dirty blonde" hair dye. Lookin' younger and slimmer than ever, folks!

Pablo said...

Dear Carl,

Good to see you. What an amazing report! It's encouraging, hearing about parents praying for their adult children. Bravo, to you and your wife!

Are you attending today's baseball game?? Wow, if you are!

Thank you, for sharing your gratitudes. I admire your consistency in doing this. What were your high and low points for last week?

Carl H said...

Dear Innkeeper,

No I did not go to today's game; could never afford that, but saw the magic unfold for nearly 4 hours! What a glorious victory, and in the pouring down rain!

My low point was a minor fender bender in SF on Friday, at the end of a very productive workday. My high point was attending the Peace Forum on Saturday and getting out of town on Sunday with friends.

Tonight my Gratitudes are;

1. The Giant's won Game 7 and go to the World Series!

2. I'm learning how to let go of and forgive myself for an oversight at work last week that has an inconvenient logistical impact on my work schedule tomorrow. Something dumb and avoidable, but not the end of the world - "how important is it (really)?"

3. We could have our first wood burning stove fire tonight in the basement, while watching the game, and use some of our wonderful, abundant fire wood.

Pablo said...

Dear Carl,

Thanks for answering my questions. I agree with you: it can terrific watching a sporting event, it's a form of celebrating life.

How did the fender bender happen? Did it become an opportunity to exercise self-love and patience?

What was it about the peace forum that met your needs, and what did you like best about leaving town, on Sunday? I'm just want to better understand you.

Carl, as the owner and innkeeper of this inn, I've concluded that you have become worthy of the Attitude of Gratitude Inn deluxe plan.

Your stays here now come with free Norwegian massages and all the German beer you want.

This package also includes personal, practical sessions with the innkeeper, when he wears his other hat as counselor and teacher.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels