Tuesday, October 9

The Innkeeper Flew Again---The Landing Had Much to Be Desired .................10/9/12

 No, that's not me, but it captures what I
experienced. My hair is more trimmed than this guy's. 
    Good evening everyone,

Here I am again, just before this day changes its name.  To quote Brittany Spears, "oops, I did it again."  :->

      I have a big bandage from just above my right ankle up to my knee.  My leg is stinging with pain. The front wheel to my bike is bent, and I had another
accident on my bike; my fourth since March. Oh boy, and being the Attitude of Gratitude innkeeper, I see myself fortunate. No broken bones, I didn't hit my head. I live to see another day. This is what happens when I put in as many miles as I am (six hundred to six hundred fifty per month).

     The roughest part was when a nurse removed the loose strips of skin from my shin and the anti-infectant she applied to my leg. Yowza!  Ouch, even.  It amazes me how pain causes me to sweat.  Man, was I in agony, the first half-hour.

    What was different with this bike mishap was being semi-impaled by the end of a handlebar, with a nice long gash beneath my ribs on the left side to show for it.  I appreciate the rubber grips on the end and the fact I didn't break any ribs.  The headlight to my bike is smashed, the impact of my crash knocked the reflectors off my wheels, in addition to reshaping the rim of the front wheel.

      Other than that, the accident wasn't bad. (I'm kidding, okay?)  I was only two hundred yards from my destination when all this commotion happened. Oh, brother.

     I rode eighteen miles to get there (in 45 minutes at 24 mph (38.6 kph), going straight uphill, but who was counting?).  My problem is that I'm getting fitter and faster.  As one who competed as an athlete for decades, I love seeing my improved proficiency while cycling.  Still, you are right, I need to take greater caution as my speed increases.

     A young blonde---Julie---saw me laying on the ground of a parking lot, right after I fell.  My body was contorted, with my leg trapped beneath the front wheel. She was sweet enough to pick me up, allowing me to lean on her neck as I stumbled off the driveway and ventured to a safer location.

     A security guard in the nearby hospital rummaged for a First Aid kit in the lobby.  Two nurses taking a break outside saw me and my bloody leg.  Upstairs, they took me to be treated, at no charge.
My leg looks like this except I wasn't
wearing tights tonight and my leg  isn't
wide like this one. 
     I spoke Tagalog to the nurse attending me and enjoyed hearing the first two nurses speaking in an Ethiopian dialect as they watched my leg getting patched up.  Afterwards, I hobbled to a meeting held in that building.

     Though battered, bleeding---my leg stinging and bruised---I spoke before those gathered.  Before I piped up, I heard several who were down in the mouth, complaining about their plight.  I believe that it isn't that unhappy people complain as much as complaining makes us unhappy.  "As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he."

     Even when physically knocked down, my spirit does not remain there.  Those attending were inspired as I shared about the turn of events---the miracles I've had the past few days, that I've written about here, in the inn.

     Six people approached me after the meeting was over, wanting my number. I gave out them my business card.  A guy with a pickup truck offered to take me and my bike home, after the event was over. Thank God for big favors. It ended up he wanted me to help him, too.
My Gratitudes for Today:
1. I'm going to lay down in my bed. I'll be safe there. :->
2. I'm happy. I love my life. My life has purpose and I appreciate the many ways I'm celebrating it.
3. I'm grateful for knowing a God who loves me as I am. I'm happy for unconditional acceptance and love, something I enjoy from God, my friends and family.
4. I got a new client today, my clientele is growing.  Ya ay! I'm thankful for the prosperity that God provides.
5. I love the work I do. I'm thankful for the privilege of helping others become the person they want to be.  I like being good at what I do.
6. I'm glad that I don't accept unacceptable relationships. See number 11 below.
7. I rode briskly tonight, not wearing a windbreaker, even though it was cold and windy. My metabolism is revving up, the result of averaging a little over twenty miles a day on my bike (32 km).
8. I'm glad I didn't break any bones and I was wearing gloves. As I type, I still see the impressions tonight's tumble made upon my hands.  But, I didn't split my fingers open, like I did a few months ago when I crashed on the street.
9.  I'm thankful for those of you who drop by, read, and share your comments.
10. I love books. I'd die if I didn't have them. I love the ongoing wonder I have for life, my good friends and the fantastic family I have, especially my sons.
11. I appreciate the fact that I'm becoming less of a moth drawn to the flame of unhealthy others.
12. Today, I spoke with my oldest son, we will ride bikes next Thursday. He gave me a wonderful report about his new job as Director of Marketing for a startup company. Saturday, we'll celebrate my youngest son's birthday.
13. My sons and I will have fun this weekend. Flying kites, throwing Aerobies, going to Fenton's Ice Cream Palace and hanging out together. I'll work on a birthday letter for the birthday young man, Josiah.
14. I'm extremely thankful that I've been placing diligence, principles and discipline above the vulnerable, frightened, damaged areas of my personality. This is what recovery and personal growth is all about.
15. I'm giving a workshop on Nonviolent Communication and Forgiveness in less than two weeks, at a conference for peace.  I'll also be part of a panel discussion. I love public speaking. It's something I've been doing since I was eleven.
How About You? 
What are your three gratitudes for today? Please share. It adds to the community and fellowship we have in this inn. Also, it meets my need for reciprocity, equality and mutuality. Thanks!

4 comments:

Darryl Orrell said...

Greetings Pablo,

I enjoyed perusing your blog site of which I am your newest follower. I also invite you to visit my blog site at Thought of the Week Devotion and become a follower if so led.

I write weekly devotional studies to hopefully inspire fellow believers and encourage those yet lost in the world to accept Jesus as Savior and Lord.

Three things that have my gratitude:

1. The gracious and patient love of my heavenly Father
2. The sacrificial love of my Savior and Lord Jesus Christ
3. The discerning presence of the Holy Spirit within me

To visit my blog site, Click here.

Blessings!

Pablo said...

Darryl,

Welcome! I hope you find the fire in the fireplace inviting. Please check out the rooms to the inn. The library to this place is found above, in the inndexes.

I'm impressed. You are a first-time visitor and YOU POSTED three gratitudes. Wow! That always makes the innkeeper happy.

Now, here's the question I'm dying to find out: how in heaven's name did you create a link in the comments section? Can you let me know??

Wishing you God's blessings and a terrific rest of the week. And remember, "one life showing the way is better than ten tongues trying to describe it."

See you at the top,
The Innkeeper

Darryl Orrell said...

Hi Pablo,

I use JavaScript to include links in my comments. I would be happy to share the line of code so you can do the same, but the comments feature in Blogger will treat it as a link.

If you would like the code, e-mail at Thought of the Week and I will gladly send it to you.

Blessings!

Pablo said...

Darryl,

I will send you an e-mail, thanks! Glad to have you aboard, as a new regular guest of this inn. Wishing you a great and grateful day,

The Innkeeper

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels