Sunday, July 3

Connecting with God---- Being Judged by Others 7/3/11

 
     Hello everyone,

The computer I use is acting up. At some point I'll take it in, it needs to be overhauled. It's crashed four times while writing this post.  Each time, I lost what I wrote. I don't memorize what I write so, those thoughts are lost.Gee whiz!

      I rested earlier in the day; later, I met with friends. The weather was warm, but not unbearable, sort of comfortable, like our family cat, Tigger.

         A subject came up when I  was with others, "what do we do, to draw closer to God?"  Mind you, this was not a meeting at a church. There were many who were from different religious persuasions, or of none.  Some had different lifestyles. I marveled that this subject was discussed calmly. No heated arguments ensued.  What is your answer to this question? I'd love hearing your replies.
       I expressed my ideas (Click here for my response).  Afterwards, it led to an in-depth conversation with a woman, as several of us milled around outside, cooling off from the warmth inside the house. We had gathered on the second floor of the house. Discussing spirituality, an intriguing topic. It's a subject that many of us dabble in, but usually is not the foundation of our lives. For me, it's core to who I am, a reality I've enjoyed for decades. It's the source from which I draw strength, each day.

Being Judged

        Later this evening,  some from the gathering ate at a nearby restaurant. It was there that I was posed awkward, judgmental questions, "Where are you from?  I notice you say things differently."  I was taken aback. I thought I was in a safe environment. Unfortunately, I wasn't.  Judgement from others damages my serenity.  I'm unable to enjoy community when someone tries to put me in a one-down relationship, which is the fruit of judgment.

     Here, I thought that I had tucked my antennae neatly under my thick head of hair!  Seriously, I was born and raised in California. English is the first of several different languages I speak, the others I learned 10-18 years later.

     I'm glad that I'll talk with the person who asked the impertinent questions. I'll ask her to refrain from doing so, in the future. I value comfort and inclusion when relating with others, especially from those I don't know well. I value equality. She didn't ask anyone else similar questions. My need for equality requires that anyone speak to me as they would with any other member in the group.

      Other than the comments I shared in the above link, I have no idea why she would ask me where I was from.  Do you really think I'd be less conspicuous if I used goop to slick down my two antennae?

What would you do, if you were in a similar situation? I'd enjoy hearing your responses. It's not too late to give your answers, even if it's weeks after this post. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

************************************************


My Gratitudes for Today: 

1. I look forward to watching a parade with my family and a friend who'll join us.
2. A picnic and flying kites is on tap, along with watching fireworks in the evening. It's been outstanding spending more time with my sons, the past few weeks. It's fun celebrating life together with them.



3. I'm grateful for courageous men who more than two centuries ago, challenged one of the greatest powers on earth at that time, Great Britain. As a result, a new nation was eventually born, of which I am one of its grateful citizens. God bless America.

          The grateful guy from the Left Coast,

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels