Friday, April 6

Priorities That Contribute to Our Sanity and Serenity ........4/6/12

      I just got in from spending time with others. I followed up that time with watching a movie in Union City.  I'm bumping up the following post. I think you'll enjoy it.
     I hope it adds perspective as to what is our responsibility and what isn't. As always, I ask you to take what you like and leave the rest. I'll write more tomorrow. I need sleep as I'll meet with two clients in the early afternoon.

***************************************

"Amidst the constant turmoil and drama that surrounds us, as we live life, many stop
 noticing what is going on with themselves.Something more important and life threaten-
ing always seems to intervene....When we acknowledge a situation as it is, we want
look at our options instead of looking at the options available to other people."
                                                                                   Courage to Change, p.359
      
            It Is Never My Responsibility To: 
G
ive what I really don’t want to give
Sacrifice my integrity to anyone
Do more than I have time to do
Drain my strength for others
Listen to unwise counsel
Remain in an unfair relationship
Be anyone but exactly who I am
Conform to unreasonable demands
Be 100% perfect
Follow the crowd
Please unpleasant people
             Bear the burden of another’s 
             misbehavior
Do something I really cannot do
Endure my own negative thoughts
Feel guilty towards my inner 
       desires
Submit to overbearing conditions
             Apologize for being myself
Meekly let life pass me by

9 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I love this post! I think we all put too much pressure on ourselves sometimes and we hold ourselves to impossibly high standards. I think this post is a good way of letting us know that there are certain things that we need not do. I love the last two items on the list in particular. We should never apologize for being ourselves and we most certainly should not meekly let life pass us by. Great post.

Anonymous said...

I am glad for recovery. I am glad for not reacting to others and for looking out for myself. I am glad for the Innkeeper who plays chess well. I am glad for the long conversation yesterday which prepared me for the evening which could have been unpleasant and insanity. Playing chess allowed me to look at the big picture the other evening and plan in advance for my needs. Have a great day. Muse

Pablo said...

Optimistic (btw, what's your name, if I may ask?),

I agree. Anything that makes life simpler and increases our ease is a boon for our serenity and joy.

I'm glad you liked this post and thanks for dropping by!

Pablo said...

Hello Muse,

I like chess. It disciplines my mind and helps me develop perspective.

I'm glad you got help yesterday that allowed you to endure last night. If you ever feel like sharing your concerns, please do. Perhaps those of us who hang out here can support you.

Thanks for your comments and for visiting the inn.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Pablo,

My name is Keith. I'm liking this blog and the positive vibes that it espouses. I look forward to reading future posts sir.

Pablo said...

Keith,

Thanks for letting me know your name. I appreciate your encouragement about the character of this inn.

It's been fun getting to know you at your place. I like its upbeat and positive nature.

You are touching many lives, all for the better. Kudos to you!

Syd said...

An inspiriring message! Many thanks.

Anonymous said...

Priorities! I am grateful for priorities - especially in capsule form as you, dear innkeeper, have presented here. They become, for me, mini slogans that can accompany me throughout the day - reminding me of ways to stay on the path of serenity. I especially appreciate them when I know I've wandered, the path is no longer visible in front of me - they help shine a light of clarity before me and help me navigate myself back onto my serenity path. Marvelous tools to keep me moving forward...staying in the solution! It certainly keeps me peaceful and I'm learning and reminded that it helps those around me to be peaceful too...with a touch of humor. Thank you Innkeeper for sharing your thoughts for all of us Inn visitors to share. Lowry

Pablo said...

Lowry,

Thanks for visiting. Priorities are a form of principles. As you know, I'm a big believer of placing principles above personalities, including mine.

Thank you for your kind words. Yours, and that of others who drop by, makes the work I do here worthwhile.

Do you think you might see a movie this week? Have you been playing your fiddle?

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels