Wednesday, April 4

Taming the Dragons Within. Have You Ever Heard of Al-Anon Family Groups? It May Tame Your Dragons, Too.

”The best way to pay for a lovely 
moment is to enjoy it.” — Richard Bach
    Good evening,
I just got in.  How was your day?
My Gratitudes for Wednesday:
Paying Ninety-nine dollars for wisdom
1. I found out what's wrong with my car.
     I'm going to fix it at a $avings of $500.00. That's a pretty good deal. My mechanic used his diagnostic machines to let me know the problem and a bang of the hammer to temporarily fix it.
     I thought it
was hilarious.  I told Tony I paid him dollar to hit the fuel pump with a hammer and ninety-nine dollars for his wisdom.
     That's the problem: the fuel pump. It needs replacing.  That's something dirty and greasy, but I can repair. I'll have the help of a friend.
2. I met with friends this evening; we hung out at Juanita's again. Tonight we stayed at the restaurant until 11:30 p.m.  Closeness, empathy, intimacy and being nurtured all happen when we gather. I'm fortunate and grateful knowing so many swell people.
3. Earlier, I attended an excellent, healthy, dynamic Al-Anon Family group.

Al-Anon Family Groups

      The meetings this organization provides are for friends and family members of alcoholics. They are very warm and inviting.  Open groups allow anyone to attend who are interested in knowing how to cope with an alcoholic. Living, relating or working with people who struggle with alcohol---who are in the grips of this disease----affects all who come in contact with the drinker.

      Care is needed, when interacting with an alcoholic, even when he's sober.  Learning how to respond and not react, how to take care of ourselves and discovering options that provide serenity---in the midst of alcoholic turmoil---is what Al-Anon Family Groups offers.

An Important Distinction
      I want to be emphatic about one point. Al-Anon Family Groups is a distinct, separate organization.  It is not Alcoholics Anonymous. This non-profit social service was founded by those who discovered the insanity and despair they experienced by living or relating with an alcoholic.

      Many who live or work with an active drinker can become controlling, rescue or nag the alcoholic. Or, they try pleasing the problemed drinker. None of these strategies help.

      Tonight's topic was doing an inventory of the areas where we want to grow, known as the Fourth Step. There was healthy dialog among those attending. What I liked is that everyone who spoke stayed in the solution.

       One key point mentioned was that it is a moral inventory.  It is certainly not moral if we do an inventory and are harsh, self-loathing and  judgmental towards ourselves. That's self-abuse. Who needs that?  Nope, that isn't a moral inventory.  Besides, does it really help us improve our character if we mentally beat ourselves?

       I don't think so, either.

       No one whined, groaned or moaned about their plight while talking about this effect of another's alcoholism upon them.  Not a single person presented themselves as victims.  It made for an outstanding, positive, upbeat, supportive meeting.  Boy, was I glad.


A Loving Experience
       I shared that doing my inventory was among the most loving, gracious experiences in my life. I am fortunate having a mentor who is kind, supportive and loving, who demonstrates grace when working with me.  My mentor---or sponsor---taught me acceptance with grace towards the vulnerable parts within me.  This is preferred to acceptance with resignation.
       Treating myself in this way allows the dragons within me to be tamed. They are never killed.
4. I'm thankful for having a greater understanding of what I face in the next few months. I trust God to help me as I deal with several challenges.
5. I met with someone I mentor. We dealt with the subject of caretaking.  It was a fun time as we looked at ways she can take care of her needs.
6. I rode around the island of Alameda for 10 miles with a friend today and for three miles tonight.  I'm happy for the increased joy I have after exercising. I sleep better, too.

      Thanks, for dropping by.  I appreciate your friendship, gratitudes and insights.  Let me know any subject you'd like us to discuss here.  Keep in mind that abundance is not in how much we have, but in how much we enjoy.  Having an Attitude of Gratitude is one way of creating a heart full of abundance.
“As long as we are persistent in our pursuit of our deepest destiny, we
will continue to grow.We cannot choose the day or time when we will
fully bloom. It happens in it’s own time."    Dennis Waitley
       I wish everyone the very best. Each guest of this inn, I wish a fantastic April. The name of this month means to open up. In Spanish the word is abrir, a cognate with this word.  This month was given this name because this is the time of year when flowers unfurl themselves, revealing their inner beauty.  This spring, may you find yourself opening to opportunities you never dreamed possible.

6 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Good post Pablo. I really like this blog and the positivity that it is filled with!

Anonymous said...

This is the perfect post, Pablo. The title is certainly magical - as the mention of dragons always triggers the fantastic within me. From taming to domesticating - I can see how those inner creatures can dominate my inner self, taming me instead. I concur with your observation of the positive influence Al-Anon can have. I found Al-Anon at a very dark time in my life - the dragons ruled my inner space that forced me into darker and darker corners of my "earth". After reading the amazingly insightful and spiritual (non-religious) literature and the generous and sensitive company of a very giving sponsor, the practice of "staying in the solution" is starting to yield dividends I never dreamed were waiting for me. For this discovery and the path I'm now on to a better today and serene tomorrow - I am grateful. It inspired me to stop by and stay awhile at the Attitude of Gratitude Inn. Thank you Pablo! Lowry

aileen said...

My 3 gratitudes for Thursday:

1. Very grateful to have gotten a call to come in and work for half a day today.

2. Extremely grateful to have had the last 2 days free of my part time roommate.

3. Deeply grateful that the new exercise routine I'm learning is allowing me to wake up nearly painfree in the mornings now and also that I am blessed to awaken most days when my body wakes up in its own time, not artificial linear clock time.

Thank you and good evening.

Pablo said...

Optimistic,

Thank you. I so enjoy your encouragement. I believe everything rises and falls with our attitude.

Pablo said...

Aileen,

Isn't it great to see how God provides for you?

Are you still listening to your music, while your p/t roommate is gone?

I'm happy hearing you've been feeling pain-free lately. It certainly reduces distractions, allowing us to focus on other matters---like listening to God's voice.

Paper Tango said...

Pablo--this post is very inspiring and will go to a meeting.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels