Saturday, April 21

Transported to Another Time, The Innkeeper Got Away In More Ways Than One ..................4/21/12

      Hello fellow denizens of this inn,

The Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco
How was your end of the week, day?  For me, it was sunny, invigorating, diverse and entertaining. I'm still dressed up---my sports coat is on---having just got home after being in San Francisco. I was disoriented while there: the
weather was one distraction: it was warm, at night, an unusual occurrence, for that city which is usually chilly at night. 
      Many people strolled through the hilly streets, cable cars clanked their bells rhythmically, its occupants stood, hanging on the sides of these creaking vehicles of yesteryear. Many riders were tourists taking in the view of this city by the bay as they were pulled "halfway to the stars."
       Speaking of which, I hadn't seen so many women wearing skirts and high hills in months. Some of those skirts could have passed for tunics.  Yep, that diverted my attention, too.  Wow.  lol  (And smiling).  Spring has sprung.  :)  
My Gratitudes for Saturday:
1. I had lunch with a woman I met the previous Saturday.
        The time went well. I'm thankful when conversations flow and humor punctuates the time shared. While having lunch, my guest served me, getting my silverware, my glass, water and  napkin for me. The cafe was that type of place.
         She did it with a gracious smile. I believe we reflect our character with every breath we take, in every action we take. I was impressed. 
2. Tonight, for her birthday, I took a friend out for dinner in San Francisco.
      After that, we hunted for a parking space near the Fairmont Hotel, our ultimate destination. The music we wanted to listen to takes place there.  Finding a spot to wedge our car in the crowded city was an experience.  I swear, I believe it would be easier to find an eyetooth in a worm than to uncover a parking space in that lovely but car-congested city.
    The roar of different taxis zooming up to our car, their drivers laying on their horns if we didn't move fast enough, provided plenty of laughs for Anne and I.
This is where Anne and I celebrated her birthday and heard live music. 
3. I love listening to live music.
    Eric Shifrin, the pianist and I are friends. There's something about jazz played on the piano that I love. There was a time when, for years, I'd hear him and his trio at the Fairmont every Saturday.
     A couple of years ago he was voted the best piano player in San Francisco by San Francisco Magazine. I eventually hired him when I needed excellent jazz music to entertain clients for a special event, when I directed an organization.
4. The sights, sounds, refreshments, the company I shared and entire environment at the Fairmont Hotel made for a fantastic, relaxing ideal evening.
5. I nurtured my soul, spirit, eyes and ears. I decompressed from stress by allowing my inner child to get caught up with the wonder of an evening spent in San Francisco.
Transported to Another Era Today
An Unexpected Tranquil Moment While Writing The Ancient Way
        In preparation for tonight's event, I wrote a card for the birthday girl, Anne. It's been awhile since I actually wrote for a person the ancient way, using cursive handwriting. Did you know that many young people don't know how to do that?  With texting, computers and smart phones, today's generation knows how to print, but not how to write cursively.  Surprising, isn't it?
       When I was a kid, it was mandatory. I have scars on my body from the wackings of rulers by the Sister of Mercy, to prove it.
       It took me forty-two minutes to write what I scribed upon Anne's card. I found it a meditative, and calming exercise.
       Time slowed down as I penned thoughts with my good, not my writing-notes-to-myself writing. The pen caressed the card. I became aware of the ink rolling onto its surface. That's not as common event, nowadays. It's becoming a lost art.
      Writing cursively is not like using my laptop---goofs remain, I can't delete them.  Making the strokes of each letter slowed the pace of those minutes as I wrote, investing in the friendship of my friend. At that moment, I felt more alive.
       I  was aware of my breaths as I expressed myself, choosing what to capture on that card. The pace of my day screeched to a halt.  I was in my body.
       My consciousness slowed down to where I became aware of each stroke I placed upon the card. I felt serene and in touch with life. I was giving of myself to a friend.
       I felt so transported to another time, that I used the word "score."  Not dashing off thoughts with a mechanical keyboard made me sensitive to my thoughts and feelings as I expressed in ink my appreciation.
       Snail mail and birthday cards are occasions becoming more rare. I'm glad I invested in the time. I discovered it wasn't for her sake that I wrote it, but mine.
So, How About You? 
1. What is getting your attention, right now? I told you about my distractions. What events remove you from the everyday humdrum of life?
2. How many of you have been to San Francisco? If you have, please share one of your experiences.
3. I know many of you don't live in the Bay Area. What city do you go to, when you go out on the town? Please tell me about your favorite neighboring city.
4. Today I took care of me and spent time with a friend. What are you doing to nurture yourself. I'd love hearing your ideas. Your thoughts might inspire others and me to do the same.
       Thank  you for dropping by,

5 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I really would love to visit San Francisco someday. In fact, would love to tour all of Northern California, for I hear it's some of the most amazing scenery in the country.

Pablo said...

Good morning Keith,

If you make it out this way, I'd enjoy showing you a site or two that we locals know about---away from the tourist trap places most visitors frequent.

By all means I encourage visitors to see the standard places Northern California is known for; however, there are special places that are usually tucked away from the experience of those who visit where I live.

Btw, where do you go, when you go to The City in your area?

Wishing you a terrific week. Thanks for what you add to this place. It means much to me.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed my Birthday celebration this year with a good friend. It was everything I hoped for if I had planned it. In other words it was spontaneous. The work put into writing the Birthday Card really takes me to a place in my heart not often visited. I was deeply touched. This is the beginning of a great year for me. I am great full for having the privelidge of knowing such a nice man and for a friendship which has grown over 15 years. I felt very special this year thanks to one dear friend who took the time out of his busy schedule to spend with me. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
The evening out was followed by a luncheon with five women from my bible study. Another amazing good time and treasured memories from caring friends. It has been amazing the areas of my life which have grown as a result of taking the time to work on myself religiously for the last 4 years. I never experienced so much joy as in the last two days. I'm grateful God is in charge now instead of me. He can create a masterpiece, I can create a copy. I'm still a bit amazed at the changes in me through him. How wonderful to have found his will for my life. It is more than I ever could have expected.

Pablo said...

Dear Anonymous,

I'm glad you enjoyed your birthday. True friends are the greatest of all blessings.

I'm happy you were encouraged by all love directed your way this weekend. You deserve it.

Life is great, isn't it? Especially as we begin to overcome areas that once troubled us.

Anne said...

It is fun to travel down memory lane. Memories of a hand written birthday card in 2012. I am looking for an answer to connecting without text or phone calls. My older sister won awards for writing so maybe it runs in the family. I am starting with the Inn. A place to approach with gratitude will certainly open my eyes and ♥.
I am grateful I know the Inkeeper and stored up memories over years of hearing him speak and learning the wonderful messages he teaches about improving upon life. Ones own life is nothing to take lightly. I am so blessed to have been chosen to hear his stories. I am enjoying reading the blog as a book. It is a good place to start a new journey. Here is to the Innkeeper. May he be blesses emenesly with great friends.
Anne

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels