Friday, April 20

Life For the Innkeeper Has Been Unmanageable ...........................4/20/12

Image: "Cumbria: Windmere Dawn"
      Good evening everyone,
Just got home from an evening out.  I've been a social butterfly this week, attending events nearly every night.  Normally, that's not a routine I care to have. 
        I need time alone in order to nourish my soul and process my thoughts. That's not possible if I'm out late every night. After Sunday, I'll have to say no to future invitations.
       I have two special occasions tomorrow. A lunch date is scheduled with someone I met last Saturday.  Tomorrow night, a jazz music soiree at the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco is on tap; I'm taking a dear friend there to celebrate her birthday.  I love the pianist, Eric Shifrin.  The locale is magnificent. I love going to this place and listen to Eric play---he's brilliant. 
      Tonight, I was happy being in a different city, seeing friends that I've neglected for more than six months. But, because I did so, I got a new client. I went because a friend  needed to get away from the stress.  Otherwise, I would have stayed home. 
       Later in the evening, a couple I dearly love surprised me by joining the seventeen of us gathered.  Catching up with this couple met my curiosity as to what was going on with them.  I even got to practice speaking Polish with the wife. 
       After the evening wound down, the woman I brought to the event treated me to dinner at a Thai restaurant. I liked the time we shared but I asked if we could leave.  I needed to get home. I'm bushed and need rest. 
My Friday Gratitudes: 
1. Sleep. It's calling me. I'm glad I'm respecting my body. 
2. Music. I love music. It's a language that soothes my soul. I look forward to hearing music tomorrow. 
3. I'm thankful for taking care of my body by saying I needed to get home, when I was with someone this evening. 
4. I lost my keys last night and I found them. I left them in a city 14 miles away. Someone drove from that city and delivered them to me. I'm a lucky guy. 
5. I found another expensive item that I lost. I'm glad I didn't stress over it. I turned over my concerns to God in the morning.  The item materialized.  I'm happy that while with three clients, I did not distract myself, worrying about losing this item. I let go and let God handle the problem. He did. 
6. Losing things let's me know my life is reaching the unmanageability stage. When that happens I need to slow down and take care of my basic needs.  I'm grateful for awareness. 
So, How About You?
1. When do you know that your life is unmanageable?
2. What do you do to restore order in your life, when it is unmanageable?
3.  What plans do you have for this weekend. What needs of yours do they meet? (Your answers are gratitudes that can be shared here.)
        Good night everyone.

8 comments:

Vanessa Higgins said...

I know my life is not manageable when I am so focused on the future that I forget about the present. I lose things (as you said), I forget to eat, I ignore the needs of relationships.

I have not yet learned how to walk myself out of that mess. But I have taken the last year to say no, to put my spirit first on my to do list and to walk away from challenges that may harm me if I am not careful. I am living a pretty lazy life these days and I needed that.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I'm with you on needing alone time Pabloe...I think it's essential to our well-being. I had some alone time today but going on a scenic nature hike.

I know my life is not manageable when I start to feel overyl stressed. I usually counter this by decompressing emotionally through doing something enjoyable like hiking or catching an afternoon matinee by myself.

Syd said...

Having a great weekend at the roundup. Great Al-Anon speaker today. Lots of humor and tears.

I will be glad to do a post here. Will email more when I get back. Thank you for asking.

Pablo said...

Thanks for the discussion, guys and gal!

@ Vanessa,

Ain't that the truth! I've been forgetting to eat and ignoring other needs.

When I find myself in an unmanageable state I do what I've written elsewhere. I H.A.L.T. (I know you read that post.) Here's the link for others who might want to read it (you'll have to cut and paste it): http://theattitudeofgratitudeinn.blogspot.com/2012/03/source-for-sanity-halt.html

It's very easy for me to get caught up with activity. I've discovered that:

"There is nothing wrong with working hard and producing results, but I was abusing these activities. They were socially acceptable ways to deny my feelings. Both my family and society supported my hiding behind them."
...........Courage to Change, 198.

If not careful, I ignore my feelings, and don't take care of myself when exhausted, to my detriment. The results are that I become frustrated and irritable.

I become so spent that I'm not good for myself or anyone else. I know I would not ask anyone else to push themselves as much as I do.

I'm thankful that I've learned to relax and be playful. With friends and family, I blast away rockets at the park, fly kites, ride my bike, work out, play the guitar or simply have time alone, reading.

And I'm a lot happier. Tonight, I'm going to listen to live music. Ya ay!

Pablo said...

Keith,

Thank you for your support. It's good to know I'm not the only one that responds this way.

I love hiking, movies too! I get to see any first-run movies for free, another cause for my having an attitude of gratitude. (This includes free popcorn and soda, and I can take up to three others with me. Now you can see why I'm popular.) ;->

Anonymous said...

Hi Innkeeper! Thank you for articulating your many gratitudes. Here are a few gratitudes for today (Saturday):
1. I am grateful for your example of expressing
gratitude for the many nuances of living.
2. I am thankful for the realization that each day is
composed of a myriad of activities that enables
me to enjoy my day from the time I get up to the
time I retire.
3. I am grateful for the gift of music and its soothing
effect it has on my being. It aerates my soul and
allows Higher Power to alleviate my stress.
4. I am grateful for new friends and their
contributions they make that enrich my life.
5. I am grateful for this list on such a perfect
summer-like day.

Thank YOU innkeeper for providing this venue to share.

Lowry

Pablo said...

Hi there Syd,

Wish I was there, at the roundup. What are you enjoying most about it?

Thanks for answering regarding posting here. I'm happy to hear it.

What's the temperature, where you are? It's been warm over here.

Pablo said...

Hey Lowry,

Good morning. Thanks for dropping by. Have you had a chance to play your violin? What style of music do you play, when you do?

Your gratitudes contribute to the fellowship and communication we share here at the inn. I'm happy when that happens. Thanks for sharing them. I love your phrase, "it aerates my soul." That creates a great image!

How do you know when your life is unmanageable? Besides music, what do you do, when you find yourself in that place? I'd love hearing your ideas.

I'm wishing you success with your goals. Remember you aren't alone. You have my support.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels