Monday, February 18

Saga of Sunday's Journey, Part I .........2/18/13

      Hello everyone,

Have you missed me?  I've been busy. Yesterday I worked. On top of that, I rode 32 miles on my bike,  from Alameda to Union City.  I saw the new "Die Hard" movie----for free.

       From there, at 12:10 a.m.,  I rode to Mission Blvd, in Hayward. BART, the local train service, closes after midnight. Instead, I caught a bus ride to Fruitvale and International Blvd. I was deposited there at 1:30 a.m..  This is a place where they have shot babies during the daytime.  Quickly, with strong motivation to keep my health intact, I cycled four miles home.  I kept looking in my rear-view mirror, that extends from my  goggles, as I scurried to my place.

       Today, was a cycling adventure, putting in 26 miles from Alameda to San Leandro and back, 75% of it was along the San Francisco Bay Trail.  Wow.  I can feel the tiredness in my legs.

       And, it feels good.  I could have spared me plenty of the miles I put in, cycling.  However, the beauty, solitude, the roaring of the bracing wind in my ears, the tranquility and ease I felt while rolling along nature----accompanied by waterfowl and the music of waves slapping the shoreline----was worth every bit of effort expended.
      
       Sunday, the bus ride was a trek and experience in itself.  When I was on it---- I was in touch with sights, sounds and smells not encountered since working in a psychiatric hospital, work I did before starting my practice.

       It was 1:04 a.m. when I clambered aboard, after putting my bike on the bicycle carrier.  Three men were sprawled on the seats, sleeping.

      "Do some people use this bus to sleep?" I asked the driver.
       In matter-of-fact manner she replied, "Yes, they do."

       Even though I was sitting still, mentally I was spinning.  I had no clue how the AC Transit routes worked.   I did know this bus was heading for Oakland.  I needed a break.  My legs were worn out.  And, at least I was warm.

To be continued in my next post.......

      Right now, I need to get some grub.  I haven't eaten since breakfast----I'm famished.

      In the meantime, I'd love hearing your gratitudes.

4 comments:

Vanessa Higgins said...

Gratitudes…

I am thankful for the time I have with my niece and nephew. They are moving away to live with their real Dad soon and I am really going to miss them.

I am amazed at how much energy I have right now. I've been able to catch up with friends from all over the world on Facebook. For so long I kept quiet and didnt have the energy to type.

I am grateful for the mild weather we have been having. February is usually minus 20s and 30s, but it's been -6 or warmer which is nice.

Thanks for letting me share.

Carl H said...

Dear Innkeeper,

Wow, you are one "cycling superstar" of the Tour de Alameda!

My early Gratitude's for Tuesday, February 19th are;

1. A lovely dinner last night at Outback Steakhouse with wife and three sons; a sort of belated family Christmas gift...great to catch up with all!

2. Some new-to-me music from Pat Metheny's "What's It All About" CD to bequeath to my wife and a close, dear friend. Its a solo, acoustic collection of classic tunes, done in his unique jazz style; brilliant!

3. Robitussin and Thera-flu medications, which when used in tandem, can help one knock out a cold/sore throat/cough sooner than later.

4. A robust physical therapy session yesterday afternoon; progress not perfection, one day at a time!

5. My wife's inspiration to take my three, youngest (local) sons out this Sunday for an overnight yurt camping trip adventure and visit to Yosemite Valley. Some of them don't recall brief visits there when much younger, so it should be great fun! One last vacation fling before returning to work in early March.

6. A weekly gathering with friends this evening at a local church (if feeling well enough...) to share our experiences, strength and hope in healing.

Pablo said...

Dear Vanessa,

It's so good hearing from you! I bet you made memories as you spent time with your younger relatives.

Glad to hear you are connecting with the many who care for you.

Brrr! That weather would be too cold for me. It's freezing over here, when it dips down to 40 degrees.

I always enjoy your comments. Thank you, for your visits.

Pablo said...

Dear Carl,

Thanks for the encouragement. Yesterday, I put in 38 miles. It doesn't faze me---I stayed up to two a.m. this morning and rose at 7:00 a.m.; I'm lucky or have a strong constitution.

I hope you are having a encouraging time of togetherness with you family, while at Yosemite. I look forward to hearing your report.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels