Thursday, February 14

Celebrating an Achievement Approaching the One Year Mark ........2/14/13

        How are you?

I'm squeezing this post under the wire,  while it is still Friday.  I'm bushed.  Cycling twenty-two miles today did me in, physically.  I also tuckered out after
meeting with several clients today.  Crying twice today also drained me.

        I'm posting my gratitudes and then hitting the hay.

Gratitudes for Thursday:
1.  Today, I had a session with a brand-new client.

       The time was marvelous and productive: she released a lot of hurt and pain, the tears flowed.  It's amazing learning the story each person has to tell.  We connected well and we'll start weekly sessions next week.

       This morning, I forgot  to take my keys.  Oops.  Behind the facade of the building where I see clients, it was tucked.  I was lucky.  After being there until six in the evening, it was still there when it was time to ride home.  Whew!  That would have been devastating, losing my two-wheeled companion that provides therapy after an intense days at work.

A Serendipitous Opportunity

       It's amazing how events are orchestrated by God.  After a session, on my way to check on my bike, I ran into a prospective client----she was in the building.  She was a referral---- someone pleaded for me to call her.  Getting her voice mail twice, were the result.  This woman knows me, having heard me give a talk, months ago.

       We set a date to meet.  She even traipsed back to where I see clients.  An impromptu fifteen minute session was had, during a break before my next appointment.

2. Life is grand when I put my life into God's hands, trusting Him for the results.  He provides results beyond my wildest dreams.

Closing In On A Milestone
Rhapsodies about Cycling

         The beginning of next month marks one year that I have not driven a car.  Occasionally, I use an office eighteen miles away, if I'm not working in Alameda. Still, I manage to keep my appointments.  Cycling refreshes and invigorates me----at the beginning and end of my day.

          I love threading my way, splitting the lanes----riding between cars---that are idling on busy streets, waiting for the light to change.  It's fulfilling passing lines of cars.

          Biking connects me, grounds me, to this earth.  The wind caresses, the birds serenade as I zoom down streets. There's the stunning beauty of the bay waters I skirt and the vista of rolling Oakland hills, off in the distance, when homeward bound.

          At night, these hills glisten, the Mormon Temple a white beacon, stands stolidly as I ride the perimeter of San Leandro Bay. 

          I'm constantly with people, it's the nature of my work.  I'm introspective by nature. There's the rub. The antidote?  You got it----riding my bike. It's a time when I have time with me, freed from phone calls and interruptions from others.

          Often, I feel tension after my work day, having professionally immersed myself with the problems of others. The solution?  You got it, gliding down streets on my bike while wearing dress clothes, on my way home.

          Parking is a cinch when using my steel steed,  it helps me even in my adopted town.  Alameda is a popular middle-America oasis in the congested, frantic Bay Area, making parking a test of patience.  Traveling by bike, I can park right at the door of my destination, tethering it to a nearby tree or pole.   

          My guess is that, after completing the anniversary of my carefree and car--free adventure,  I'll start motoring again.  If I remember how.

3.  In the early evening, I met with a woman whose personality is different from mine. Being the optimist I am, I find such occasions as fun, a challenge, in the good sense of the word.  She's a guardian, on the Myers-Briggs scale, big time.

      She speaks her mind and has a harsh, black, sense of humor.  She's likes things structured and gets to the point. When with her, I speak Guardian language----a concrete language, and we relate. 

      Today, I'm glad we connected.  At one point, as she spoke of betrayal, her eyes glistened.   I pulled out the Kleenex tissues and responded compassionately.   That's all it took.  She started sobbing.  Was I glad, again.

      It is so important discharging our pain,and crying is a great to do it.

4. I rejoice in the two-wheeled serenity I have during this season, when I'm living sans a car.  I will not give it up, once I start using the four wheeled beast. 

5.  I appreciate my health and all the benefits I derive by cycling.

6.  I lost my side-view mirror, one that attaches to my sunglasses, months ago. Yesterday, I got a new one.

     What a difference this small device makes while cycling.  I'm grateful for it.  I can see when cars come up on me and allows me to take appropriate action.  It's a great source for peace of mind.
 
     Often, while cycling, I'm moving at 22-32 miles per hour. Yep, I'm a speedster.  Looking backwards at that speed isn't advisable in heavy traffic----I might plow into the car ahead of me.

     The mirror lets me be aware of my environment and continue looking straight ahead. I appreciate the increased awareness and safety I enjoy, when using it. It's good to be thankful for everything, even small stuff.

How About You? 
What is a major accomplishment you have achieved?  Would you mind sharing?  Mine is that I haven't driven my car in eleven-and-a-half months.

4 comments:

Vanessa Higgins said...

You are so poetic about your passion for your bike, It's a treat to read. My Dad rode is bike to work for 30 years, even in the middle of winter and FYI, this is Canada, it snows A LOT. It gave him a sense of control. I tried it for awhile when I'd have to commute through the river valley, passing wild coyotes and porcupines and sleeping homeless people. It was amazing!!

My accomplishments. I made it through a whole week of work being productive and helpful and feeling good enough at what I do.

Pablo said...

Vanessa,

You almost make me blush with your thoughtful words.

Your dad's example is inspiring. It appears that I'm lucky: there's no snow where I live, ever. I have to drive to Lake Tahoe encounter it. Cycling is amazing. It's a terrific way of releasing stress.

Kudos to you, for hanging in there, at work. I remind myself when facing daunting circumstances, "My best for today is good enough." I do what I can and leave the results up to God. The slogan "Let Go and Let God" says it all.

Syd said...

I'm tired too. It has been a long week. But I'm glad to have made it through a bunch of deadlines and commitments. Time to chill this coming week.

Pablo said...

Hi there, Syd,

Thanks for dropping by. I hope your radar class went well. How will you use what you are learning?

Wishing you a week filled with blessings.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels