Wednesday, February 20

Discharging Stress In a Thoroughly Enjoyable Way. I'm a Cobbler, Too ........2/20/13

      Here I am again.

I've put in 80 miles (129 km) on my bike in the past three days.  Am I glad.  You know what?  It's going to
get even better.  (Remember, it's the Attitude of Gratitude guy who is talking.)  The days are warming up, coinciding with the lengthening of the days.

       I rode along with someone younger and fit.  We had a blast.  It was exhilarating riding with someone where I could go as fast as I wanted.  Nineteen miles were covered in one hour.

       The nautical town of Alameda was briskly circumnavigated.  We cruised past six marinas. Placidly, sailboats  and yachts sat.  At Grand Marina, a grey feral cat scampered into a nearby bush----the pitched sound of four wheels racing along the wooden boardwalk startled him.

       Squirrels luxuriated in the sunshine as we raced by----inches away from them.  Not even looking up, they ate newly grown grass.  The lawn was so closely cropped that the expanse of recently covered dirt, that jutted into the San Francisco Bay, appeared like the top of a billiard table.

       The hills of Oakland, in the distance stood out.  In the brilliant----sunny----slightly wind-driven day, they reached out towards us, welcoming us as we traced the perimeter of the island.  My cycling companion  unfolded his life as we traveled on two wheels.  From time-to-time we surged up to 32-35 mph (51.5-56.3 kph).

       On the handlebars, I pulled---bringing the pedals up to my feet.  Cranking away----with all my energy----was fabulous.  Stress rolled off my body with each downward push.  Jockeying with traffic on congested Webster St., and with those ambling the shoreline parks of this island city required concentration---the side-view affixed to my sunglasses were handy.

      Normally, when riding with others, our speed is 12 mph, max; sometimes I need to mosey along at 8 mph.  Today, I rode all out.  The rest of the day I was energized and elated.
.......
      Afterwards, I met with clients.  The time was productive and constructive.  I have a new place for meeting clients.  Having this option meets my need for variety.

      For those who use my services, I offer shoe leather.  I offer material they can wrap around their feet and use----immediately and practically----as soon as they walk out of my office, into the streets of life.  They take with them tools and concepts that help them overcome abuse, anger, self-loathing, depression, isolation or whatever struggle covered during our sessions.

My Gratitudes for Today
1.  I had a conversation with someone. Totally enjoyable was our time: we connect.  She has a tremendous insights and a sense of humor.  We have a good rapport and I'll leave our relationship at that. 

2.  It was unbelievable cycling with Alain.  Our conversation was intense, authentic, joyful and supportive.  It was an invigorating time spent together.  It was heartwarming seeing his beaming smile as we conversed.

3.  I'm husbanding my time with greater diligence.  Good for me.  I appreciate growing in my effectiveness. As you might know, I don't watch TV.  Try it.  If you don't have time, stop watching TV and you'll be surprised how many other constructive things you can do.

4.  I saw Carl and his son today, the fellow who comments here.  It was nice connecting with him and his son.  Which leads to......

5.  I spoke this evening.  This is where I saw the assistant innkeeper.  I enjoyed the topic: a discussion of God and his qualities. It was fun.

6.  What God wants to do with my life, I eagerly anticipate.  I've surrendered my life to Him.  He does for me what I can't do for myself.  And how.

7.  Tonight, after I spoke, several of us visited a restaurant.  Not only were the meals good but I prevented  someone from offering me advice.  I gently asked her to stop. I did not ask for her judgments and I let her know that.

8.  One area of debate, while we dined was if we are responsible for other people's feelings.  I said no, calmly, but firmly.

How About You? 
How have you been celebrating life recently?  For me, it's been the high I get when cycling and connecting with nature. 

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels