Wednesday, February 13

Daring to Discipline My Emotions: Enjoying Its Fruit .......2/13/13

How I feel after overcoming challenges


        Good evening everyone,

How are you?  Life is going well, thank you for asking.  The past two weeks, I squished through the wringer of emotionally pressing and ego-reducing circumstances.  My Pablo-centric universe imploded a
bit----all for the better.

       Happily, I emerged cleaner, improved.  Spiritually and mentally, I've grown.  Right sized, I was.  The vexing ordeals that tested my sanity, serenity, and sense of self scathed my pride, but that's a good thing.

      Within my psyched dwells a reactive little boy.  He's familiar with the remnant of past hurts and abuse.  He surfaces when I'm not living by principles.  He taunted me.  This puny guy cajoled me to be petulant, as I faced unsatisfactory circumstances and confusion.

       I refused.

       Resisting the siren call of immaturity was my response. But, my patience was strained. The tranquility that is usually mine was tossed by intense emotional sea storms created when I  expanded my private world.

        Yielding to immaturity would have prevented rewarding opportunities that eventuated.  Meager would have been the results of unbridled discipline----allowing the screaming voice of feelings to overrule common sense and patience.

        Blessings appeared only after reining in reactive emotions----applying perseverance instead.  But, it was tough, nonetheless, don't let me kid you.  Pride and past hurts----the little Pablo's voice----tried ruling my heart.

        These restive feelings, ghosts from my past, were overcome by discretion, temperance.  Am I glad----I was rewarded with gifts that were worth the roiling emotions and distracted thoughts endured the past twenty-one days. 

         Reflecting back on this time, I can smile at almost jeopardizing good fortune.  I was thisclose to playing "chicken" with my luck.  During difficult times, immaturity creates tantrums within, demanding attention.

         Pouting, though emotionally unhealthy, is my default mode, when I'm not living from a recovery perspective.  Sometimes, though, exercising patience is as appealing as cleaning out a cat litter box that has not been attended to for several days. This is where placing principles above my personality is the best option.
"Guard your heart with all diligence, for from it flow the issues of life."             Proverbs 4:23
My Gratitudes for Today: 
1.  I'm not letting my immature nature rule me or make my decisions.
2.  I've had plenty of opportunities to practice patience and grace, especially towards others who have disappointed me.
3.  I'm exercising discipline.
    Determinedly
     implementing
     self-
     control
     instead of
     perpetuating
     lazy
     inept
      negative
      energy (or thoughts, behavior)
4.  I'm thankful for the gifts that surface when I stay present, using healthy principles and respond----not react----to the vicissitudes of life.

How About You? 
In what areas are you exercising discipline? 

4 comments:

Vanessa Higgins said...

I swear I have no discipline. When I want to get something done I write down tiny baby steps then give myself rewards for tasks completed. It works for me. Thanks for sharing.

Carl H said...

Dear Innkeeper,

Loved your post today, and your creative acronym for DISCIPLINE!

More discipline? Taking more time in the word; time to read and view inspiring material; feeding my soul.

Today I am grateful for;

1. The idea behind St. Valentine's Day; to make a special effort; take time to demonstrate I LOVE YOU to your spouse, lover, Mom, sister; whomever, in some beautiful, tender or unique way.

2. Fun running around town a bit to find a few unique gifts for my wife; some lilies, a music CD, some Good Earth tea and some (believe it or not...) "Love Crunch" organic granola cereal with dark chocolate, organic granola and strawberries.

3. Philip Phillips wonderful song; "Home."

4. Our balmy (high 60-low 70 degree) spring-like weather and resultant, unexpected garden fragrances.

5. My knee surgeons good news that I can begin to swim and cycle (moderately) again! And, the good news I don't need to return to work until early March!

6. Finally for reminders like; First things first, Easy Does It, How Important Is It, Stop and Think, Don't just do something, sit there, etc. All slogans; tools handily used in the Alanon program of healing and recovery.

Pablo said...

Hello Vanessa,

Thank you for keeping me company, the past few days.

It sounds like you have a plan, when it comes to using discipline, and it works for you. I'm so glad you're visiting the inn again!

Pablo said...

Dear Carl,

I enjoyed creating that acronym. Thank you, Carl, for what you share here. I'm happy to hear you are able to venture forth, a bit, and exercise!

Thanks for mentioning slogans that have helped many. May you have a terrific weekend with your wife.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels