Tuesday, February 26

Surprising News, Encountering Insensitivity, the Value of Exercise and Writing ............................2/26/13

         Good evening,

I had a break today.  I had the day off from work.  Was it good.

         Lately, some weeks, I've been working seven days.  I know,  I need to change
my routine.  It was good, slowing down.

          I caught up on laundry, grocery shopping and cooked.  In the morning, I snuggled in bed with my favorite books. Can't beat that.

         Today, I edited stuff I'm writing----something I enjoy doing.  I like the precision involved with the written word.  It was wonderful, decompressing from the intensity that often results from my profession.

An Important Note:
         For my friends that I know from other blogs, for some reason I cannot post using the laptop I'm borrowing. I apologize. I've tried. Everything is erased when I press the "publish" button. I don't know what gives. It's frustrating.

         I want you to know I'd enjoy saying hi to you.  I can't.
***************
 Startling News
         About a week ago----last Wednesday----I  received startling news.  Someone I was getting to know for a month and a half had a secret up her sleeve.  We have been visiting, every week.

         Did she surprise me----she's a madam for a bordello.   No, I'm just kidding.

         Just the same, the news she shared was as remarkable, considering that----before she spilled the beans----she said, "Pablo, I have the most amazing conversations I've ever had with anyone----when we are together.  I enjoy the time we share."

         To top it off I saw her again, a few days after Wednesday.  In that situation, her behavior was confusing.  She gave me a long hug when she greeted me.

         We talked for 2-3 minutes. "Could you wait?" she asked.
         "For a few minutes, yes,"  I replied.  But, I needed to head home.

        Cycling eighteen miles home lay ahead of me.  It was already 9:30 p.m., and I was going to ride through a dangerous part of Oakland----International Blvd. and down 98th Ave.  The longer I waited, the more dangerous the ride.

         She then went across the room to talk with someone else. After twelve minutes, left hanging, visiting with friends who were there, I had enough. I could see her conversation was not letting up with this other fellow.

        That was enough patience exercised by the innkeeper.  I needed sensitivity and consideration from her and it wasn't going to happen then.  I hopped on my bicycle and left.  Did I get a work out, believe you me.

        And how.  Riding along the Oakland side of the San Leandro Bay was the tonic needed. The overpasses I had to ride over, to reach the bay, were flattened, when I channeled my irked feelings into the cycling.

        The thirty-eight miles I put in that day seemed as nothing, because of the intensity of the emotions that flowed that night. Wow.

        And how was your Saturday?? :->

My Gratitudes for Tonight
 1.  I'm thankful for writing.  It clarifies my thinking.  Paying attention to language not only improves "the effectiveness of the words on the page but also the thinking process that puts them there." (Donald Hall, Writing Well.)

2.   Writing is a gift. I'm able to voice my feelings, thoughts and spirit.

     One "basic pleasure that writing produces comes from the creation of an understanding in the mind of another."  (Hall, Writing.)  I love that it allows me to connect with the many of you who drop by. I'm also thankful when you enrich my life by leaving comments. I appreciate your fellowship.

3.  I like that writing forces me to be honest.

       I'm not interested in presenting a pose, when I tap away at the keyboard, creating posts. Instead, I enjoy revealing myself, the unvarnished parts of me.  I want to remove all falsity in what I write.

       This goal moves me to edit past posts, something I do, daily.  Rewriting is one of the quiet pleasures I dip into, daily.  It nurtures me.  It's interesting noting how the river of my thinking has deepened as time has moved forward.

       My growth in maturity is accepting myself for who I am, vulnerabilities, along with my strengths.  Hopefully, through this process my written voice becomes more clear, as distinct as voice I have when I speak. And, as a added bonus, writing allows my mind greater clarity, too.

How About You? 
a.  I faced a surprise last Wednesday.  A big one.  Have you been thrown for a loop, recently?
b.  What value do you find in writing? Would you agree that it clarifies your thinking?  Let me know, I'm curious.

2 comments:

Vanessa Higgins said...

Thanks for posting. I sure miss you over at my place. We'll have to catch up soon.

Gratitudes - So many!

It feels so good to do work. I feel smart, and helpful and feel I am making a difference.

Spending time with my friends makes me feel special and loved and understood.

I have hope for the future. It no longer paralizes me to think about what horrors the future might bring. It'll be a roller coaster and I am ready for the ride.

Pablo said...

Dear Vanessa,

I appreciate your visits. I'm bummed out that I'm unable to post on ANY blog. I think it may be related to the protection levels setup for this laptop I'm borrowing. Mine is dead, it still needs repair.

I'm happy hearing work is going well for you. I love your gratitudes and the hope you share. You have my support.

By the way, as innkeeper of this inn, I'm duly authorized to bestow upon you the Attitude of Gratitude Award for today. :->

Kudos to you, may your tribe increase!

The Innkeeper

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels