Tuesday, February 19

Continuing the Saga of Sunday's Journey .........2/19/13

Monday Morning  Journey, Part II
   Innkeeper's note:   Sunday, after working eight hours, I cycled to Union City----in my dress clothes.  It was a trip of thirty-four miles.  I watched a movie that ended at 12:05 a.m.  Here's the second part to what I wrote in this post. 

      I knew BART, the local train service was not operating.  There were a seven high schoolers standing near my bike, laughing and talking, hanging out after having watched Hansel and Gretel, the movie. I asked if they knew about
the local bus service.  Two of the young ladies whipped out their smart phones.  After a few minutes, they informed me the local bus service was not operating at that late hour.

      Oops.

    I was moved by their courtesy and helpfulness----one of the guys even apologized that I was out of luck, while putting out his hand and shaking mine. It's heartening, seeing a younger generation demonstrating compassion.

      Pulling on my knit cap, gloves and turning on my head and tail lights, I rolled up Alvarado Blvd. towards Mission Blvd., going east. At a 7/11 store there were two police cars. I approached one of the officers.  He called dispatch and found out the closest route still operating was the 801. In fifty minutes, it would stop at a  destination eight miles away, at B St. and Mission Blvd.

       I thanked him, shaking his hand.  "No problem, I'm glad I could be of help," he replied.   I made like Paul Newman and hustled my way to what offered me the possibility of a warm ride home. 

       When I clambered aboard the toasty bus, after hoisting my bike on the bicycle carrier in front of it, three men were sprawled across the seats, in the back, sleeping.  Each fellow had either a metal basket on wheels or a duffel bag.

      "Do some riders use this bus to sleep?" I asked the driver.
       In matter-of-fact manner she replied, "Yes, they do."

       Even though I was sitting still, mentally I was spinning.  I had no clue how the AC Transit routes worked.  I don't use buses, especially in Hayward, twenty miles away from my home.

       All I knew was this bus was taking me to Oakland.   My legs were worn out from riding my bike thirty-four miles. Any ride in the right direction was welcomed.  The vehicle defrosted my icy cheeks.

       Wouldn't you know it?  The bus broke down.  Yep, it did.  Waiting for the rescue bus added an hour to the trip.

       One passenger----with a wheeled metal basket full of items----had a "Fargo" winter hat, the kind with the flaps you pull down on your ears.  He was not mentally clear.  When he stood near, he smelled of urine. Wow, my heart went out to him. Sometimes moments like these remind us to count my blessings. You'll hear mine when I recount my gratitudes for today.

       It was 3:15 a.m. when I reached the closest point to my home-----Fruitvale and International Blvd.  This is a dangerous part of Oakland.  Not long ago a child was shot and killed, not far from where I stood. A year and a half ago, two brothers where murdered when their car broke down and they were were looking under the hood.

       Jumping off the bus, I skedaddled as fast as I could, with my 18 lb. bag of books slung over my shoulder----there was no time to slow down and attach them to my rack.  No way did I want to stand on that street corner for more than a second.  Fortunately, at that hour it was deserted. Still, my safety was my utmost concern.  I'm thankful for angels that hovered at that intersection when I stepped off the bus.

My Gratitudes for Tuesday:
1.  I'm thankful nothing untoward happened to me on Sunday night, when I was dropped off in Oakland. Thank you, God, for safety and your protection.  I doubly appreciate the ease, safety and order maintained in the island town where I live.
2.  After seeing the men scrunched over, sleeping on a bus, I have a reawakened appreciation for my home. I'm more thankful for little things that I take for granted: a bed, a faucet with running water, the warmth my home provides.
3.  I celebrate my health and stamina, I was happy exercising Sunday and Monday.
       I rode over sixty miles combined----the equivalent of what a person would travel in two days, if on a horse, two hundred years ago.  I loved connecting with nature and natural high I have when cycling.
4.  I love the work I do.  I'm glad I can encourage others in practical ways.  It's gratifying helping clients experience healing, emotionally, spiritually and mentally.
5.  I'm thankful that I'll be speaking Wednesday before a group. I enjoy it.it's a way I celebrate life and my abilities.
6.  I exercised boundaries with someone who has been frustrating.  I love it that I find it easier to do when I seek to please God, my values and not men.
7.  I enjoy leaving the outcome of any of my efforts in God's hands.  It takes the stress off me.  All I have to do is my best.  I let God take care of the rest.  My best for today is good enough.
8.  I appreciate all who drop by and leave comments.  It's fun having community with you.
9.  This morning, I had a special meeting with someone new in my life.
        I will be mentoring him.  As we spent time, he broke down and cried twice, in a restaurant.  And he's a tough dude, he smokes cigarettes, even, and swears like a sailor.

       I'm grateful for the closeness we can enjoy when there's emotional safety, it allows for true intimacy. Such was the case this morning.
How About You? 
What are your gratitudes for today?

4 comments:

Vanessa Higgins said...

Seeing the people on the bus must have been a real eye opener. Thanks for sharing.

I am also grateful for my house. It gives me stability, pride and comfort every day.

Carl H said...

Dear Innkeeper,

Wow, what an adventure! So glad you made it home in one piece to your mini-inn!

My Gratitudes for Wednesday are for me/us profound, and some long-awaited;

1. That I could figure out how to overcome feeling tired and sad with a cold and sore throat when I woke. Stepping outside into the clear, crisp, post-rain morning, I hiked three mini-laps around our home; through our small, two-level yard/garden, picking up some of our elderly yellow lab's "deposits," and even doing some physical therapy stair-stepping along the way. What a wonderful difference this made for my days beginning!

2. That my wife and I could finally have a firm, yet loving... "Son, we are nudging you out of the nest today" conversation with our #2 adult son. He will sleep in a new bed, in a new room, in a new home tonight of his choosing, and thank us one day for this act of genuine parental love!

3. That in last nights circle of friends, I could share in memories of recently passed fellow-traveler in healing. Also that I could put in a plug for my mentors speaking engagement tonight, and be there myself to drink in the richness of his experience, strength and hope.

Pablo said...

Dear Vanessa,

The bus trip was a wake up call to a reality that many face, every day. What is your favorite room in your house?

I appreciate your visits---they keep me company. I enjoy knowing you.

Pablo said...

Dear Carl,

Good seeing you. Kudos to you! You chose healthy alternative to moping, and I'm not referring to mopping,when it came to your cold, although I bet you mopped your nose with a tissue or two.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels