Thursday, February 28

Thriving, Staying True to My Vision and Celebrating Life ........2/28/13

      How are you?

Here it is, a few minutes after midnight.  Spending the night with friends, I just got in.  Early Wednesday morning I woke up.  My mind and my eyes are a bit worn out at this hour, especially after an intense day at work, moderating a meeting at night, and gathering at a restaurant with new friends afterwards.

      I love seeing clients getting emotionally stronger, even expressing their anger.  Even when it's inappropriate.  Progress not perfection, I say.  At least it reveals ego strength, something that many of those who see me often don't have.   There's nothing wrong with being upset.  Negative feelings are a
gift.  They let us know that a need isn't being met.  The issue is learning how to express our feelings in appropriate, safe ways.

     Today, a client criticized me, twice.  Finally.  Ya ay!   Nope, I'm not being silly.  I'm glad seeing this client's authentic nature; it's about time. And the negativity doesn't bother me.  Nope, not at all. After working nine years in a psych hospital, and raising three teenage sons, nothing fazes me.
 "Maturity is moving from a hard heart and a  thin skin to having a soft heart and a thick skin."                         Charles Swindoll.
     He was out of line and crossed boundaries.  Maturity helps when I experience that.  It's wonderful standing in our own power, recovery and integrity.  His comments were welcomed. They helped me understand his worldview and values.

     People's attitudes towards me don't tie me into knots----I'm comfortable in my own skin.

 My Gratitudes for Today: 
1.  Wednesday, I loved that in the midst of a crazily busy schedule I made time for me.

Maintaining My Vision
      I had two opportunities to be alone.  On the first occasion, I did administrative work.  It included making phone calls, scheduling and analytically taking a look at the Big Picture regarding my practice.  It was a deeply satisfying time.

      Phone calls drain me, I'm introspective----not introverted----by nature.  I derive my strength when I'm alone with God.  Still, I made the calls.  The results provided clarity, connected with others and strengthened my business.

      It's also important, getting off the bus of life, really taking a look at where I'm heading. Frequently, life is like the pilot who told his passengers, "Hello everyone, I have good and bad news." He had their attention.

      "The good news," he said, "is that we are making very good time. The bad news is that I don't know where the heck we are!"

       Today was a great day that where I was able to see if my activity was congruent with the overall vision I have for my life, as informed by my connection with God.
 "The mind of man plans his ways, but the Lord directs his steps."                    Proverbs 16:9
There were some minor course corrections, but overall, I'm right on track.  Hurray for making the time to have a concrete vision and for the value of boundaries, that allow me to maintain it!

    
2.  I'm happy I carved out fun time during another moment on Wednesday when I  was free.  I camped at the Alameda Free Library and studied material that I love and haven't had the time to soak in.  Yep, that's fun for me.

     I  didn't read anything related to work.  I spent time on material related to a hobby of mine.  I enjoyed spending time on the subject.  I celebrate growing effectiveness,  the result of investing time in my personal growth.

Experiencing Community With New-Found Friends

     Tonight, I gathered with five new friends and one old one. We hung out at Juanita's Restaurant on Park St.   The occasion was like a roulette wheel----I had no idea into what slot the bouncing ball of conversation would land.

     I sat back, enjoying the free-flowing conversation.  I arranged the event.  None of them knew each other.

     I barely knew all but one of them.  But we had at it. The time was upbeat, positive----a rewarding time.  Laughter and humor spiced our time together.

     You can't beat that.  Half of us were left-handed, that was great, too.

Gratitude Three: 
  I love thriving, celebrating life and the companionship and community.  I can't think of a better way of spending the evening.

How About You?
In what way have you been thriving?

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels