Monday, June 18

A Special Time With Family.................... 6/18/12

Tonight, I rode along this part of Alameda,
Crab Cove, five miles into my 15.5 mile ride. 
     Good evening,

The weekend was busy, but good.  Sunday, my
two younger sons, former wife and I had a luncheon honoring my son's college graduation. A guest joined us, Carl. You know him from the comments he shares here. 

     The meal was a happy time for all.  Pablo Jr. received gifts.  It was special, all of us celebrating the joy and pride we had for the efforts he made while achieving this academic milestone.
No, this isn't a son of mine. Yes, that thing in his hand is an Aerobie.
    Afterwards, all three sons and I spent time at Crab Cove, a park that fronts the San Francisco Bay.  And yes, along the shore you'll find crabs.  We tossed an Aerobie for nearly two hours---the time sped by.  Making the occasion unusual was the pounding away of conga drums. The players weren't bad. Their music made us want to move to the beat.  We didn't. 

      The evening continued with a trip to Fenton's Ice Cream parlor.  For the first time in my life I had pomegranate ice cream. The surprise was that it was creamy while still being tart. I like tart. 

      We wrapped up our time with prayer.  I won't forget the weekend. But, I was tired, the festivities made for long days. 
*********************
      Tonight I got together with friends. The experience was interesting.  I hadn't seen these individuals in more than a year. The evening was great.  

      Lately, I've been busy with preparations for my son's graduation, work and other projects.  I haven't ridden my bike as much as I'd like. But then again, it's not every day we celebrate a graduation.  I did ride Friday for 38 miles, though,while taking care of errands. 

      Tonight, I remedied this frustration by taking a spin.  It was the best ride ever.  I averaged 22 mph, 15.5 miles in under 42 minutes.  I attacked the climbs in my ride.  I increased the intensity of my last two miles, pushing my effort to the maximum physically possible.

       It felt good. b\
Featuring the Bay---not the Golden Gate---
Bridge's Necklace of lights
       The necklace of lights that adorns the Bay Bridge twinkled in the distance.  At night, the City by the Bay, San Francisco, shone like a jewel, lit up by skyscrapers in the financial district. 

       The waves crashed as I rode along the beach, the water was still along the marinas. The gentle lapping along most of the coast of Alameda island puts me in an embryonic state.  Riding along the San Leandro Bay, in the middle part of my trek, provided me with the solitude and communion with nature I love. The moon shone on this small bay that is no more than eight miles in circumference. 
       My headlight provided enough light so I did not run off the embankment of the narrow bike trail. 

     Life is terrific. There's so much to enjoy, when I take the time to bask in nature and its wonders. 

       Now, several hours later, I feel fine. This cycling is a good fit for me, but I won't don the clothing most cyclists wear.  Nope, wearing Lycra is not my style.
How About You? 
What was your highlight for the weekend?

2 comments:

aileen said...

My 3 gratitudes for Tuesday 6/19
1. For the healing power of the body when given what it needs - my dear and close friend of 3 decades is making her way back from stage 3 colon cancer.
2. Being invited to celebratory family affairs this month. My peers and I are now the "old folks" as our parents and grandparents are no more, and are forming closer and more intimate relationships w/each other, as we realize how valuable we are to one another, esp.in being cohorts moving on in age.
3. Feeling loved by my sisters, being appreciated at temp job for contribution to this office - even being left holding down the forte several times.

So nice to be appreciated and wonderful to be loved andd valued by family and friends.

Pablo said...

Ailene,

I love how you support the vision of this inn. As innkeeper of this cozy place, I bestow upon you the Attitude of Gratitude Award for this week, with all of its rights and privileges! Do I hear a hip, hip, hooray for Ailene?

I appreciate your deep concern for your friend stricken with cancer. I know your friendship means much for her.

How great is that? I'm hearing you have a supportive community that encourages you! You are lucky, many don't experience community.

I'm hearing your need for recognition, appreciation and connection are being met. You must be elated with all the blessings you are receiving, right?

I'm doing a happy dance for you.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels