Thursday, June 28

An Antidote for Stress, Part II, Connecting with God 6/28/12

Image: "Woodland: The Edge of the Forest" by Tim Blessed
Copyrighted photo used by permission. 
Increasing My Conscious Contact of God's Will 
        I'm thankful that God is in control of my life, because I'm not. :)  Presently, I'm working through areas that are fraught with tension and fear.  I appreciate knowing some days, I will not take them one day at a time---I go through the difficult ones fifteen minutes at a time.  I try to be conscious of my relationship with my Higher Power.

        Using principles I've learned, I pray, that's talking to God.  I also meditate, which is listening to Him.  I ask for the ability to understand His will----hearing His voice.
"I call my sheep, they hear my voice and they follow me."            John 10:27
I keep myself still, freeing myself from distractions. I ask God to show me, through the orchestration of events of in my life, what He's trying to say to me, in what way is He nudging me.

        If I realize my life is going in the wrong direction, it doesn't help to run the opposite way, if I'm on the wrong bus.   My spiritual disciplines allow me to get off the bus of life, helping me and get my bearings, free from the distractions of busyness and the siren call of the world's temptations.

       This increases my conscious contact with the God of my understanding.  Praying for knowledge of His will and the power to care it out is known as Step 11, in recovery.

3.  I'm glad that I'm connected with a Power Greater than Myself who helps me overcome life's challenges.       Hey, thanks for dropping by and sharing your response to what I pen here. It's encouraging returning and reading your comments.
My Gratitudes for Today:
1. I'm still feel like
a zombie.

        Not sleeping enough is transforming me.  If you saw me now, you'd be scared.  I barely keep my eyes open.  But, I'm glad that the construction that's going on at my place will end.  I'll appreciate the peace and quiet, when they're done renovating.
2. I've made time for  fun. When overwhelmed, I've learned to treat myself "extra specially."



How About You? 
1. What do you do to develop your spirituality?  Is nature a resource for you?
2. Or, does having a connection with a Higher Power sound like an odd concept?
3. Would you be interested in connecting with the God of your understanding?  Let me know.  You can find out more about this in, "Getting through the Day." You can read it here.

4 comments:

Carl H said...

Hello Pablo, Thank you for your post here. I need to be reminded to nurture my relationship with the God of my understanding. I try to connect with God through quiet time in the garden at dawn or dusk, in prayer or reflection, with a good book, or simply planning my day or weekend. I also pray on the way to work at 5:00 AM some days, when there are few cars on the road; few distractions, and even while swimming laps at the pool. However, sometimes while swimming, my mind can wander, thus prayer can be helpful. A good way to describe it is..."My mind (at times)is like a bad neighborhood - I should never go there alone!" Also, than you for your wonderful link to your 3/26/11 post on "Stress!" Very enlightening and instructive - great guidance there!

My Gratitudes for Today, and for Wednesday (belated) are;
1. I am grateful for "stop and think," "first things first," and "how important is it." Thus, I'm grateful I did not rush downstairs to the TV when I can home late from work and the gym, to pop in the political thriller DVD I'd rented at the grocery store. It can wait. What I really needed to do was to slow down, exhale and check in to the "Inn," and check in with the "Innkeeper." I'm glad I did.
2. I'm grateful I could meet Jerry, for the first time, in the jacuzzi after he finished swimming laps at the gym. I noticed the very large, horizontal scar across his abdomen, and asked him about it. He explained that he had had a liver transplant 10 years ago, and pancreatic cancer surgery 1 year ago. His miracle was that he is alive, and can walk, talk and even swim. He told me he competes in the "Transplant Games," a kind of Olympic Games for transplant survivors, where they can win medals. He has won several gold and silver. Jerry was positive, hopeful and full of gratitude for the second chance at life he had been given. My concerns kind of melted away as we spoke. It was humbling and inspiring to meet Jerry.
3. I'm grateful for a quiet, drama and stress free home this Friday night, so I can be here to write.
4. I am grateful my wife could have time to take care of herself; to do some inner healing work, to meet with friends and hopefully share her heart with them tonight, and also hopefully have time to catch up with her mentor.
5. I am grateful I could have the luxury of three hours to exercise and nap by the pool without the stress of schedule obligations.
6. I am grateful for time with old friends and their son, and with our formerly rebellious #3 son, over dinner and breakfast to catch up and wish them and their moving truck caravan Godspeed with their relocation journey from L.A. to Seattle.
7. Grateful for the K.I.S.S. reminder to "keep it simple, sweetheart," and the similar prodding from our oldest son and his wife in Virginia to write my emails in "bullet points" and not in War & Peace Prose!
I need to learn from the simple, minimalist style of your other visitors to this Inn that "less is sometimes more!"

Good Night, Sleep Tight, and Don't Let the Jackhammers Bite!

Anonymous said...

Hello Pablo - thank you for your thoughts and expressed feelings that you've posted here about Antidotes for Stress - Parts 1 & 2. It is moving to witness your constant affirmation of the positive and abundant world that we live in. It inspires me to strive for constancy in my actions. In that spirit, here are my gratitudes for today:

1. I am thankful for the recognition, and my admission, that I am inconsistent in fulfilling my commitments to myself and those that help me. By recognizing a problem, I can fix it with the help of my higher power and my loved ones.
2. I am grateful for the life experiences that enables me to pass tests and challenges that many felt I couldn't. It is trusting in my higher power that enables me to remain composed and calm, infusing me with a confidence that lifts my energy to appropriate intensity.
3. I am thankful for questions - for questions are the tools of clarity. Answers allow for timing, absorption and integration into my pysche.

All in all, each of my gratitudes has a link to higher power and my network of friends & family whose love surrounds me. The Inn and you dear innkeeper, are included. We press on towards new levels of realization. Thank you ! Lowry

Pablo said...

Carl,

Lovely comments. I like your examples, sharing how you connect with God. Thank you for your kind words about my work and this inn. They mean a lot to me.

Wow, what a story about Jerry. Life is all about perspective---attitude, isn't it? Everything rises and falls, depending on our attitude. "As a man thinks in his heart, so is he." Prov. 23:7

Glad to hear your life is becoming more manageable at home. :)

I'm thrilled you shared seven gratitudes---wow! That's the most I've gotten from a guest of this inn. As innkeeper of this inn I am duly authorized to grant you the Attitude of Gratitude Award for this weekend, with all of its rights and privileges.
************************
Do I hear a hip, hip hooray for Carl, from the rest of the guests?

I don't mind your prose. You make this place better, with your comments. Go ahead and be effusive, I like it.

Grateful for your gratitudes and comments,

The Innkeeper

Pablo said...

Lowry,

I love your authenticity. Thanks for sharing what's going on in your life.

Hey, gang, what you don't know is that Lowry has gone through a gamut of processes as he's applied for a job as a police officer, for the City of Oakland. I know he would value your prayers and support. (That's related to gratitude number 2.)

You are right, Lowry. You have my support. I'm proud of all the efforts you've made as you pursue your goals. I appreciate your desire to work a strong program as you focus on your personal growth.

May you accomplish your goals. Your example, now, and in the future, affects many.

Rooting in your corner,

The Innkeeper

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels