Monday, June 25

Celebrating Father's Day A Week Later ........ 6/25/12

Gratitude is the music of the heart, when its
chords are swept by the breeze of kindness. 
     Good morning everyone,

I'll head for bed in a moment. First, I'll share my gratitudes with the visitors to this inn.
1. Sunday, I celebrated
Father's Day.  Last week was reserved for festivities related to Pablo Jr.'s  college graduation. The day was fabulous, spent with my three sons. The energy was palpable. We've been together a lot, lately, thriving on the love we have for each other.
2. First, my sons and I hung out at home, recounting stories of when they were younger.  Whenever we maintain our legacies and family traditions, it always deepens our common bond.  I appreciate their companionship.  It's rich, loving, joyful and vibrant, filled with smiles and  humor.
3.  We went to the beach, flying our stunt kites for two hours. One of my sons, Micael, had his best day controlling a kite. We use the two-stringed version of kites that allow us to manipulate them---we control the direction they go. It was fun hanging out and enjoying the affection and warmth of my sons. I'm a lucky man.
4. We followed up our kiting with tossing an Aerobie at Crab Cove until sunset. The air, the trees, the view of the bay, the running, jumping, laughter and teamwork provided a wonderful celebration of family life.
5. The day's activities created an appetite. We ended up visiting my favorite restaurant, the Lotus, on Piedmont Ave.  It  cooks my favorite food: Thai. Yum!
6.   Returning home, we played the card game, Hearts. Laughter, teasing, ribbing, and fun made for a rewarding evening.
7.  The sentiments expressed in the card I received today and the gifts I received moved me.
        I'm glad my sons are encouraged by my example and love me. I'm thankful for principles that allow me to honor my sons and accept them, even when we see things differently. I find it more satisfying to listen than it is to talk, especially when with them.

       I'm humbled for the fullness in my life. It permits me to be available, without requiring anything from my sons. Their presence, love, smiles and who they are, is enough.
8.  We finished the evening in prayer. What a day and evening. The memories of time spent with my sons, celebrating our relationship, I will treasure.

4 comments:

aileen said...

Seeing infants develop into adulthood is to witness an amazing thing; parenting a transforming experience.

My 3 gratitudes:

1. Juicy, sweet summer stone fruits and berries and bunches of fresh basil from the farmer's market.

2. Herbs and spices to vary the taste experience of my basic keep on hand for a quick meal soup (and other dishes!).

3. Having a much better day living in my body today than yesterday, which i hope not to repeat if at all possible!

Very thankful, grateful, appreciative of the ground I am gaining...

Carl H said...

Hello Pablo, Thank you for sharing the joy of your belated Father's Day with sons. My Gratitudes Today;
1. Sharing jokes and laughter with my third son today over burgers and free peanuts! I think being able to laugh at what life throws at you with your sons is an enormous blessing!
2. For a very long, and much needed five-hour nap after work today.
3. A very late, light dinner of cereal and a short walk with our 13 year-old Yellow Lab "Cyclone." Actually he took me for the walk!

Pablo said...

Aileen,

Good to see you back. I hope you have a great week. You made my mouth water with your description of fruits.

I'm glad you had a better day on Monday.

How is it for you, as you've been regularly focusing on your gratitudes?

Pablo said...

Carl,

Good hearing the fun you're having with your son and you consistent taking care of yourself.

What are you doing to develop your inner self?

A curious innkeeper.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels