Friday, June 15

My Son, A Fountain for Many Gratitudes

My son will look like this tomorrow. I'm proud of him. No, he's not in this photo. 
      How was your Friday?

I did errands in preparation for my oldest son's graduation, tomorrow.  I cycled thirty-six miles in the process. (Last month I rode 600 miles.)  I drove through downtown Oakland and up San Pablo Avenue, which was an experience.
A Scarey Moment
       I was scared when I rode up an automobile overpass that did not have a sidewalk, cars roaring behind me.
Getting hit from behind, gave me a big shot of fear.  I dismounted, and walked my bike on the mini-curb for extra safety.  Whew! I don't want to do that again. I'll take a different route, next time.

       I even revived my cyclometer---the battery was giving out and got a new one. What you don't know is that I wouldn't ride my bike if it weren't for this mini, wireless journey tracking computer. Yep, that's right. I like knowing how fast, how far and how long it takes me when I go on my jaunts.

My Gratitudes for Friday focus upon my son who's completed his college education:
1. I'm proud of my son's academic success.
2. I'm happy we'll celebrate his graduation tomorrow and Sunday. (I'm deferring the family celebrating my day---Father's Day---to next week.)
3. I'm thrilled we'll feast together Sunday for lunch, honoring my son. We'll have fun at a local park afterwards and then head to Fenton's in the evening. It's a fabulous ice cream parlor that's been around for 116 years.
4. I'm proud that this son, Pablo Jr. (actually he's the sixth, I'm the fifth) can hold his own.

        I appreciate his character. Yesterday, this son and I had a lively debate. That's one way of putting it.  
        There wasn't anger, but we are pretty good at debating. Usually I avoid them, last night I had my say and left it at that.
6.  I'm thankful for his character. Steel entered his soul as a result of the demands he faced while attending college. He worked, managed, trained, hired, fired, inspired his colleagues at work and those who reported to him. He was tied up by robbers, had a gun held to his head at work. In addition, he dealt with intense issues----successfully helping others who were in dire need and psychological support.
    He's polite, kind, tactful, courteous, intelligent, and considerate in addition to being diligent and hard working.  He's a terrific model for the family. He's an example of what happens when I get out of the way and Let Go and Let God.
7. I'm glad for his supportive network that allowed him to have fun and maintain his sanity and serenity while he had many competing demands assaulting him, crying out, demanding his attention.
8. I'm glad I was available to my son during this season in his life. I'm thankful that I've learned that jobs come and go, friends come and go, but our family is forever.
    I'm grateful for times when his was besides himself. We'd go for walks, while he vented his feelings. We'd have lunch, I'd meet him on campus. Dinners shared were special too.  My goal was just being a listening ear, as he processed the challenges he faced.
   I'm glad together, we wrote his first resume. I coached him as he applied for service with an nationwide marketing association: the American Marketing Association. They ended up selecting him as president.
9. I'm thankful I've learned that empathy is the best support I can offer. That means I keep the focus on his needs and feelings. Judgment, criticism has no interest for me.  He's his own man, an adult. My role training him has been over since he was sixteen.  I simply am his Balcony Person (last half of this post).
10. I'm thankful that there were times when I disagreed with him without saying he was wrong. I trust this principle will help him with any children he might have.
     When we learn that we can have different opinions without anyone being wrong, we learn we can all fit in together.

     Good night everyone, I'm tired. Riding thirty-six miles on a bike will do that to you. :)

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels