Friday, December 14

Breaking With An Innish Tradition, Rightfully So .....12/14/12



"The great men and women of history are remembered not because they never failed, but because they didn't let their failures stop them." 
      
   
        Hello everyone,

I'm breaking with an innish tradition.  For only the second time----in five-hundred and sixty-four posts----am I not saying "good
evening," as I'm wont to do.

      It isn't.

     Tonight is not a time for gratitude.  It's an evening for reflection, sadness and dismay.  Yes, it is.

      Today, twenty-eight people died violently.  Twenty were precious, young school children----in Connecticut.  They left home, never knowing this day was their last.  Six staff members at the school----Sandy Hook Elementary, fell, too.  They gave their lives, answering a call to duty----intervening as this horrific event unfolded.

     The shooter ended his own life.

     In America, our collective heart aches for the families and friends of the those who died during the gun-wielding rampage of a twenty year old.  It was thought his mother taught in the classroom where the carnage took place.  Recent news says it isn't so.

     Earlier that morning, the murderer's mother's life was taken by her unbalanced son.  May God help us all.

     This time, I----who sees goodness even in the bleakest circumstances----will not try doing so.  It's impossible.

     So, where do we go, during times like these?  For me, the best answer is on our knees, in prayer.   Would you mind bowing your head, and join me?  We'll pray on behalf of many who are shocked by what transpired, this morning, in Connecticut:
      Dear God,
Our hearts are gripped with sadness regarding today's events, the multiple murders by one disturbed young man.  His actions make no sense.  We are troubled by his senseless behavior and the devastation it brought to that school, that town, this nation and those of us traumatized by his actions.
     We ask for Your comforting presence to surround the hearts of families who lost children or loved ones through today's violence.  We are grateful for the heroism of several adults who were there. They sacrificed their lives for the sake of the children, their wards.  We weep for those who suffered and died this Friday morning.
     We join in the confusion and despair shared by family members,  fellow students and staff members of Sandy Hook Elementary.  May your loving presence guard their hearts and comfort their thoughts.  From a loss that has forever ended relationships with those who perished, they are reeling. 
     We hate the violence, murder and grief suffered today.  We ask your grace to help us transcend today's painful events.  Our petitions we bring before you, leaving them in your capable hands.  In your Name, relying upon your Power, seeking your serenity, we pray. 
      Amen
        I'm going to bed.  I'm emotionally and physically spent from a long week capped by today's tragedy.  The past seven days have been like no other.  Tomorrow, I'll visit.  Right now, I can't think straight.  My body craves rest.

        In the meantime, I trust that mankind will not be remembered for our failures, but for the fact that we will not let them stop us.

6 comments:

Darryl Orrell said...

Brother Pablo,

I share in your sadness over this tragic and senseless attack upon the innocent. I join you in lifting up those who have lost loved ones for their pain, anguish no doubt is deep, and to such a degree, only the loving touch of Christ can heal and walk them through the coming days.

Father, may all who read this take time to lift up the families of those who tragically lost their lives at the elementary school in Newtown, Conn. I pray that Your strength, comfort and guard be upon them in the difficult days to come. I pray that heaven now has the sound of 28 additional children playing in green pastures and resting beside the still waters until that long awaited day comes when they can be reunited with their loved ones. I pray that through this tragedy, in ways we cannot understand, that You Father will be glorified and I lift this prayer up to You in the name of Your blessed Son Jesus - Amen!

Blessings to you and Merry Christmas!
Thought of the Week Devotion

Carl H said...

Dear Innkeeper,

Thank you for your beautiful thoughts and your prayer. We all are grateful for them tonight. We are with you in spirit and in heart, as we grieve and pray for the children, parents and families.

I would like only to quote from one news account...

In tight-knit Newtown on Friday night, hundreds of people packed St. Rose of Lima Church and stood outside in a vigil... People held hands, lit candles and sang Silent Night.

"These 20 children were just beautiful, beautiful children," Monsignor Robert Weiss said. "These 20 children lit up this community better than all these Christmas lights we have. ... There are a lot brighter stars up there tonight because of these kids."

I will save my gratitudes for another day.

Blessings...

Optimistic Existentialist said...

What a beautiful post Pablo. So many unanswered questions at a time like this. So many emotions. So much sadness. I wish we could make sense of this - but that's impossible. Thank you for this post.

Pablo said...

Darryl,

Thanks for dropping by. I appreciate your shared concern about the tragedy in Connecticut.

Merry Christmas, to you, too!

Pablo said...

Dear Carl,

It's nice having your support and that of others as we American grieve the violent losses in Newtown Connecticut.

It's great enjoying your regular fellowship here, in this inn of thanksgiving.

Pablo said...

Dear Keith,

I'm in agreement with you. Thanks for your feedback. I wish I could do more than writing this post and pray for all those hurt by this recent violence.

There IS something I can do. I can model love by the way I treat others. I can be the change I want to see in the world.

I'm glad what I wrote here encouraged you.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels