Saturday, December 22

Being Fit to Live .........12/22/12

      Good morning,

I went to bed early----actually, I crashed and burned on my bed, upon arrival at home, last night.  No dinner.  I simply went to bed.  The week was fulfilling but
exhausting, too.

      Yesterday, was a wet but not wild day.  I traveled from Dublin to Richmond, thirty-eight miles between them and it took sixteen miles, just to get to Dublin, first.  I used BART and bike.  The nice thing is that during this season of eating goodies I've been getting lighter and fitter.

      In-between appointments, I received impromptu natural showers.  Not heavy downpours, but good enough requiring a baseball cap, something I usually don't wear.

      God has been good. Nothing new there, being that it is His nature.  He's doing for me what I could not do for myself. Take for example, Thursday.  I made a call.

      As a result, within two hours, I was paid, on the spot, the equivalent of eight appointments.  I wasn't expecting it, at all.  The businessman I worked with even treated me to dinner.  My, God looks out for my welfare.

      Wow.

       It amazes me how many people do not have an intimate, personal relationship with God, something I've had since fourteen.  It is not a result of anything I deserved. Heavens no. It was simply God's love and grace that wooed me towards the embracing, caring, patient relationship we share.  It's also good discovering his gentleness and sense of humor.

       I don't get it.  Many have the equivalent of owning a Rolls Royce.  But they don't ride in it, taking pleasure in what they have.  Many claim having a relationship with God, but they try controlling outcomes, their life.  Their actions are symptoms of diseases that permeate their being: perfectionism, worry, anxiety, being controlling, manipulation, fear and self-loathing.

       Wow, again.  That's also tragic and sad.

       Let me share with you a passage I find stunning.  My hope is that when you read it, you won't perceive what's written with your mind.  When we do, there's little hope of our life growing spiritually. We're relying upon, using, the wrong organ.

       It is same as trying to hear colors or see sounds, without an oscilloscope.  Likewise, when attempting to perceive spiritual matters with our minds.  Nope, no can do.  We are using the wrong means for this type of understanding.

       Spiritual matters are only perceived spiritually.   Even if you don't believe in God, act as if  you do. See what happens. Ask God to reveal himself to you.
"All who call upon the name [His power] of the Lord shall be saved [experience the wholeness, healing and forgiveness]."   
         Paul's letter to the Romans 10:13.
      The word "shall" means definitely.  So,  it is.

      Ready?  Okay, here's the passage I had in mind:
"Remember that asking God for help does not mean asking for specific results---that is asking God to execute our will!  Turning our will and our lives over to God means that we put the outcome in God's hands."  
                Paths to Recovery, p 31. 
     That ain't happening if we are being controlling.  Nope, it isn't.  We want to remember that God is not our bellboy.  We don't snap our fingers at him and He does what we bid or demand Him to do.  For more about this subject, you can read here.

      The real issue isn't so much that God is in our hearts.  But, rather, are we in the heart of God, doing His will?  The only way we discover God's will is by slowing down, through prayer and meditation, getting ourselves small----yielding ourselves to Him.

       Yep, small.  Life isn't all about us.  As someone said,
 "If a man has not found something to die for, he isn't fit to live."
 I believe that cause is knowing God's will and asking Him for the power to carry it out.  This is also known as Step 11 in recovery.

How About You? 
Have you been riding inside your Rolls Royce? Or, have you been trying to live by relying on your strength, machinations and wits alone? If the former is the case, yours will be an Attitude of Gratitude. If you've been relying upon your abilities and controlling efforts, such will not be the case, fortunately. And, I do mean fortunately.

Related Post
An Un-American Concept: We Are Primarily Spiritual

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels