Sunday, December 2

Banana Pancakes: An Opportunity to Transcend Unhealthy Legacies


      Good afternoon, everyone.

A happy new week to each of you.  I'm happy to announce this inn is
improving. We have another person on staff. He has contributed so
much here that I asked if he would like to be an assistant innkeeper. To my delight, he answered yes!

     You know him.  He's Carl.  He posts regularly. The following is his first stint as guest blogger.   Please welcome our new assistant innkeeper!

Here's Carl's post, enjoy! 

“…Wakin' up too early.  
Maybe we could sleep in
I'll make you banana pancakes. 

 Pretend like it's the weekend now.”

Banana Pancakes by Jack Johnson 
      With Thanksgiving on the horizon, and my 88 year old Mom coming as guest of honor, my wife and I decided to plan our annual deep house cleaning adventure.  The help of our three resident adult sons, and their two buddies, who are tenants as well was enlisted.
      Their realm of chores include the downstairs family/TV room; the “man-cave” sanctuary of our home, their bathroom and the bedrooms where they dwell.
The first floor sweeping, mopping and dusting my wife does.  Cleaning the kitchen, and the perpetually gunky and greasy gas range stove top fell to me.  This is the one thankless chore no one ever wants to do, so Dad volunteers; plus I’m good at it!
      After slaving away on the now pristine stovetop, I put a (usually ineffective, come to think of it…) hand-written sign there in a clean frying pan the night before.  It read, “Please don’t fry food here tomorrow morning.”  In retrospect, this was probably not a realistic boundary, nor was “fry” specific enough.
      Our #3 son, known to elevate petulance to an art-form, came in the next morning.  My note he dismissed. He started whipping up ingredients for banana pancakes. Little did I know these were not only for himself, but for his brothers and family as well.
       I came in, saw this, was disturbed and poised to react.   I asked,  “have you seen my sign?” He remarked, “are you serious?” 
       I wasn't sure if I was experiencing his arrogant defiance.  “Yes I am,” I replied, and proceeded to chasten him with, “we have company coming and want to keep this stove clean in advance of cooking the Thanksgiving meal." 
       “Why do you think the rules never apply to you?”  I inquired, along with other select, alienating comments. 
        Crestfallen, he nearly gave up, ready to leave the scene of battle.  I am so glad he didn’t.  An opportunity for learning and healing, on my part would have been lost.
        His younger, peace-maker brother witnessed the fray.  He wisely intervened. He reassured me they would clean the stove afterword. With their assurances, I decided to Let Go.  Our #3 son hung in there, whipping up rich, thick pancakes for all.  I sampled them.  They were delicious.  I even told him.
         My boundaries were being violated, so I thought.  By letting go, having an open mind and turning the outcome over to the God of my understanding,  I trusted Him to deal with my frustrations as He wished.
          Amazing transformations happen when I stop, exhale and think.  Applying healthy principles above unrealistic expectations or boundaries worked on this day.  Transcending past, painful personal and family legacies happened that morning.  Today, they were replaced with principles that give me wholeness, hope and a stomach full of good food!
                  Thanks for dropping by, 
                     Carl 

4 comments:

Carl H said...

Dear Innkeeper,

Thank you Pablo! Once again I am humbled and honored.

I hope one of our visitors finds this story helpful.

Have a great week, one and all!

Blessings,

Carl

Optimistic Existentialist said...

You're right Pablo. Amazing transformations abound! BTW, I am now craving banana pancakes for some odd reason...

Pablo said...

Dear Carlos Wingman,

I appreciated your effort. You wrote about our need for flexibility, compassion and the growth that happens when we exercise these qualities---important points. Our character develops when we have an open mind. Thanks for the reminder!

Pablo said...

Keith,

That was Carl who wrote that post. I'd love having banana pancakes, too. I'll have French toast instead, this morning.

I'm always encouraged by your friendly, positive visits. Thank you!

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels