Sunday, December 30

An Antidote for Depression: Learn Less, Apply What We Know. 12/30/12

Adulthood: enjoying equality with others.
No, neither of these women is me. 
         Good evening everyone,

It truly is a great evening.  It looks like my illness may have turned a corner, for the better.  I did not fill up two tall waste baskets with tissues today, while blowing my nose.  That has been the case, for the past seven days.

        I'm not hacking and sneezing as much, either.  Ya ay!  With the following, as always, I ask you to take what you like and
leave the rest.  I don't ask you to agree.

        I made a statement in Friday's post: Avoiding Those Who Only Live From the Neck Up:
 Sometimes, ONE SENTENCE  has been more than enough for me to dwell upon, for five years.
 Today, I thought I might share with you some of these sentences.  When I wrote the above statement, it didn't mean that I thought of no other thoughts for five years.  Of course, that would be extreme.

      What I meant was that I ruminate upon what I learn.  I try applying it and usually succeed.

      Constant learning without application has no appeal.  Again, if I don't apply what I have learned, why feed my mind with more information?

      Keep in mind that this is coming from a closet nerd.  For decades, I've studied six to eight hours or more each day, loving every minute of it.  I've been this way since I was eight.

      What I've discovered is that others who are also are constant students and have succeeded academically are usually doing what I did, unknowingly, for years.  They are trying to control the uncon-trollable aspects of life through knowledge.  They vainly hope analysis will make sense out of life.  It won't.  Such efforts are sad, and futile.

      The problem is, most of our problems are at the emotional level. Our cerebral cortex has nothing to do with our emotions.  It is our limbic system that deals with this part of us. This requires somatic therapy----learning how to discharge the residue within our bodies due to traumas: accidents, illness, hospitalizations, abuse, death of loved ones, emotional, physical, verbal and sexual abuse, etc..

       Anyway, here is one sentence that, if truly applied, would eliminate codependency, much less depression, frustration and anger for many.  Are you ready?  Just dwelling on the following thought and applying it would be transformational.   Here it is:
 I block my well being every time I base my worth on what I do and what other people think of me.       Courage to Change, p. 118, second sentence. 
       How many blogs have you visited, where they go on with their morose observations?  For me, too many, more than I would want to count.  "Acting like a victim is a choice, not a destiny." (Hope for Today, p. 189)

       If the largeness of life is to be won, it requires moving beyond our selfish tears and seeing the hope available when we transcend defeatist attitudes by applying healthy principles above the vulnerable parts of our personality.  We are not helpless, hopeless victims. (Hope, same page.)

      Here's another variation on the same theme:
When I need the applause of others to feel good about myself, I have given them power over me. Courage, p. 9. 
       It is beyond me, why we do that.  You are my equal, and I am yours. So, there!  (I'm being playful, here. :->  )

       Could it be that we have been conditioned, emotionally coerced by others----since childhood----to place ourselves in a inferior position?  I believe so.  Often, our family, church and schools trained us to be subservient----to act unquestioningly.  For more about what I've written on this subject, please read here.

      Are we aware that such coercion is a form of violence and degradation??

      As adults, for us to continue living this way is belying the dignity of what it is to be a mature person, by this, I mean someone older than sixteen.  Adults have power.  One of them is the ability to make choices.  Another mark of an adult is that we are equal with all other adults.  To yield to the tyranny of others is allowing them to infantilize us.

      Can you tell I'm feeling stronger?  It must have been the raw ox heart I ate. :->  (Kidding.)

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels