Friday, December 28

Still Ill, Reveries Upon Friendship---Avoiding Emotional Vampires and Those Who Only Live From the Neck Up ............................ 12/28/12

Saturday, I'll cycle beneath similar clouds and terrain. 
      Good late evening everyone,

How was your day?  Ill, I am.  I worked today, just barely.  Someone new, I met.

      We had a two hour lunch at Jim's in Alameda, a good place to eat.  The conversation was
intense.  After awhile, I realized it could go at full speed, and it did.  I cancelled any ideas of working after the session that followed my meeting with "Bob."  I was so invigoratingly depleted.

      My body is languishing, feeling weak; I'll be glad when my health is restored. Napping for several hours this evening helped.

       Thank you, for dropping by.  The year's end is nearing, a good time for making goals.  I'm updating mine.  Soon, I'll share them with you.

       It is a because of vision casting that I live on an island, see clients in Alameda and enjoy the friends I have.  I'm eager for what life holds.  I love my vocation and thankful for the Great Big Life I enjoy.

Gratitudes for Today:
1.  Balance.  This is what life is all about.  Caring for others, caring for self. For more about the latter, please read here.
2.  Rest.  I'm the only person on earth that can make my welfare my number one priority.  Down time provides opportunities for reflection and communion with God.  We are not circus dogs----we do not have to jump through hoops of accomplishing Herculean tasks----in order to be approved.  We are NOT what we do.  We have value simply because of who we are.  There will never be another special person, like you.
3.  Health.
    At present, I am not where I want to be, physically; still, I am healthy enough to enjoy birdsongs, appreciate the cool caresses of winter breezes and thankful I stand on my own two feet.  There may be days in the far future when this may not be the case.  I know this fact, from personal experience, having worked with the elderly.

4. Good friends.

      What is life, without dear friends?  This word is bandied about. FaceBook has cheapened it.  It's impossible for someone to have one thousand friends, or even three hundred friends, for that matter.

       For me, a friend is one that I'm in contact with at least one hour a week.  I'll make that every two weeks. Wow, that still removes many that we would consider as such.

       A good friend loves at all times---not just for how we look, or for what we have, now.  (Proverbs 17:17)  We share history and love together, our shoulders and hands have touched.  We've seen both the fine and less refined aspects of each other, and still share a bond of love and appreciation. And, there's that important quality: reciprocity.

       An authentic friendship is topped with a gracious, loving, honesty that supports one another.  To have such friends, we need to be one.
 "He who has friends must show himself friendly."  Proverbs 18:24

      I'm glad my friends are not ones who blather on, complaining, day in and out.  I don't have such friends.  Nearness to such toxicity is harmful for my equanimity and joy.  I don't relate with emotional vampires---those who suck my positive energy, in their attempt to satisfy the hole in their soul.  My friends care about me, my needs, feelings and values.

      We are the average of the five people we hang out with.  I connect with upbeat, disciplined, loving, positive, in-the-solution type of people, who are optimists.  No Draculas in my life.  Nope.

      Earlier this year, I almost started a relationship with someone who reads nearly a book a day.  My, was that not impressive.  In fact, to discover he did that was horrifying.  It let me know he only stays within his mind---a horrible situation, "always learning, but never coming to the truth."

      No way can a person grasp, at the cellular level what they are learning, at a book a day rate.  Sometimes, ONE SENTENCE  has been more than enough for me to dwell upon, for five years.

      Books were NOT given to us to increase our knowledge, but to change our lives.  I'd rather meditate and apply five sentences today, and make them a part of my growing wisdom----that I apply in my life----than read 3,000 sentences and not have them a part of me, at the cellular level.

      We worship knowledge when wisdom is preferred and more useful.

How About You? 
1. What are your friendships like?  What do you enjoy about them and what do you look for, when you bond with another?
2.  What is non-negotiable in your relationships?  For me, it's a lack of reciprocity, plain and simple.  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty nice post. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I've truly enjoyed surfing around your weblog posts. After all I will be subscribing for your rss feed and I'm hoping you write
once more very soon!
Take a look at my page : how to remove skin tags

Carl H said...

Hello Pablo,

My friendships are like a warm cup of coffee, just the way i like it on a cold, crisp winter day or night; Uplifting, familiar and comforting.

I know a genuine friendship when I miss the person, think of them often, and find myself wearing an ear-to-ear grin when we meet again! I know a true friend when they can easily make me laugh and when I can likewise easily make them laugh.

Honesty/candor, integrity, sincerity and consistency are essential to me in a genuine friendship. Cynicism, sarcasm, and complaining are deal-breakers.

Tonight I am grateful for;

1. A day with Mom and family.

2. An evening with friends at a monthly pot-luck dinner and hearing speakers share from the heart their experiences, strength and hope in healing, one day at a time.

3. That I can halt if I'm angry, stop and think first if I want to react to something without properly processing the event, give it a rest, sleep on it, and return to it when I'm ready-fresh. That I have these tools to keep me sane, and lead me to serenity.

4. That I can get a brand new knee next Wednesday morning, and be grateful for the improved quality of life it promises.

Pablo said...

Welcome, Anonymous,

Would it be possible to share your name? That way, I'll recognize you, when you return again.

I hope you have a great new week and year!

Pablo said...

Hello Carl,

Thanks for the imagery about friends. I'm in agreement with you, friends we cherish. I'd add, with friends, we can be vulnerable and it's safe to cry with them. Such times are also special.

What struck you most, about your time with your mom? What was one thing you heard at at the monthly event, that you could take with you?

You are a fortunate man, Carl. Responding and not reacting is fantastic---a hallmark of one placing principles above their personality.

You have my prayer, regarding the upcoming surgery! Wishing you a fantastic new week, year and knee!

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels